Amerigas / Poor customer service

United States Review updated:

Ameragas skipped my delivery area and leaving me without any gas for the coming week due to the weather and that I live in an area with dirt roads. I informed them that there were two other companies doing deliveries in my area that day since I saw them drive past my house. They stated that they missed a lot of deliveries that day due to the weather and they will be out there on their next scheduled date. I was given the option to pay $170 to have the driver come out there today and fill my tank. They were told no thank you, my account was canceled, and I went with a new company that has a BBB rating of A+, is a member of ethicalaz, and has much better prices for gas, tank rental, will make up any missed deliveries if any happen and will not want to charge you to make up for their missed deliveries.

Ha

Comments

• Ki
      Feb 08, 2010

Being new to the use of propane and forgetting to check the level, I unfortunately let my tank get down to zero percent in the middle of winter with three small children in my home. When I spoke with an employee of the company, he advised that there was a $200 expidition fee to get someone out the NEXT day plus a $95.00 feeto check things because I let it get down to zero percent. Then they mention the price per gallon! When he advised that it would cost me over $1, 000.00 to fill my tank I was speachless! Now mind you, I called the company at approx. 8:00am thinking they would be out to fill my tank that day, especially with that &200 rush fee! But no, it was to be delivered the next day. Now when I asked what time, he advised between 8-4 and could not be more specific and advised that someone NEEDED to be home during that time frame. I asked for someone to call me when they were enroute and they advised they would, but that is was not guarenteed. I stressed to them over and over to pleae give me a courtesy call because I work. So, after freezing that night and not being able to use hot water, I went to work and waited for their call. I decided to go home for lunch that day and when I arrived at noon, saw a note on my door from Amerigas. It stated that they had filled my tank, but LOCKED IT OFF because nobody was home. I immediately called the company and advised that I never received a call and asked for the driver to return that day to unlock it. The employee advised me that they WOULD NOT RETURN THAT DAY and that I needed to wait until the next business day and gave me a four hour time frame. They again stated that someone had to be home. I advised that I needed to work and to have the driver or dispatch call me when they were enroute. Employee advised that they MAY call but that it was not general procedure. I spoke with supervisor after supervisor asking for some assistance with the issue. Each person I spoke with was rude, inconsiderate and blamed me for the mess because I let the tank get down to zero percent. They refused to credit me for the expidition fee, refused to send the driver back to my home to unlock it, refused to give me a smallertime frame the next day, refused to call ahead with a courtesy call and were not at all concerned that my three little ones were freezing and had no hot water. So, with no other choice, I decided to call off of work the next day and sit and wait for them to return. Again, another nite of freezing temps plus a day without pay. At approx. 9:00am I miracuously received a call from the driver advising me that he would be there within 30 minutes! When I asked why he didnt call me the previous day when he was here filling it, he advised that it was not on the paperwork to call. Boy, was I upset. This entire thing cost me over $1300.00!!! Plus, I was treated so poorly by employees and supervisors. I will NEVER use Amerigas again nor recommend them to ANYONE! They have extremely poor customer service and ridiculously high prices with outragious fees!

• Wh
      May 18, 2010

I feel your pain. Amerigas is terrible. Who is the new company you went with, if you don't mind? I want to leave them hanging like they did to my family over christmas week.

Thanks

• Vi
      Sep 02, 2010

I have been with Amerigas for at least ten years. Mainly because they make it such a pain to switch that I just put up with them. I use gas for cooking, hot water and the clothes dryer. My last delivery was in March. On Aug. 26 I ordered gas and told them that I was very low. I was scheduled for a delivery on Sept. 1. I was in and out all day and by evening I realized that I had not gotten my delivery.

I called Amerigas the next morning and spoke to a very nice young women who told me that the driver had been out the previous day but was unable to make a delivery because the tank needed updating. I had no idea what she was talking about. She explained that the tank apparently needed some type of maintenance and could not be filled until it had been done.

This tank belongs to Amerigas. At no time did I receive any kind of notice saying that it required any maintenance. When I received my last delivery in March no one said to me that in July your tank will require maintenance before it can be filled again. No one from Amerigas contacted to me at any time. Isn’t Amerigas responsible for the maintenance of it’s own equipment in a manner that does not disrupt their customers service? Don’t they maintain service records that warns them well in advance that their tanks need service? Aren’t their drivers at least instructed to check and report on the maintenance and condition of their equipment before it reaches a critical stage?

Truthfully, I am disappointed but not surprised by this. This is just the latest example of how Amerigas shows such disdain for its customers.

• Ol
      Sep 05, 2010

When they told you the tank needed updating, did they tell you when it would be done? You said you were low- HOW LOW? If you were at 10%, realize that it took you 6 months to go from 80% (a tank is only filled to 80%) to 10%, so if that's the case, you have about a months worth of gas still in the tank. I have a feeling that they might have told you when the tank would be updated, but you didn't like the schedule. If you feel you need better service, ask for the manager. If you can't get satisfaction from the manager, ask for the regional managers phone. Or contact the home office.

• Di
      Jan 11, 2011

I understand exactly what you're saying! I worked for AmeriGas several years ago and their attitude toward their customers has not changed. I have a 500 gallon tank at my house, was a "budget" customer, was never late with my bill and they let me run out several times. The last time I had my diabetic, invalid daughter living in my house with two small children. It ran out in the middle of the night in freezing tempertures. Needless to say, I canceled my account and changed companies. I found out from a truck driver that the girls in the office never put a "fill ticket" in for me! Just recently the owner of my "new" gas company became ill and sold his business to AMERIGAS! Guess what? Just as soon as my tank is empty!
    Disgusted in Virginia

• Am
      Jan 15, 2011

We are sorry to hear about your situation and apologize for your recent experience with AmeriGas. AmeriGas prides itself on providing our customers with the highest levels of customer service and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact Fran directly via email at [protected]@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you with this issue. To better assist you, please provide your AmeriGas customer number, phone number or the address and zip code where your propane tank is located. Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

• Am
      Jan 15, 2011

• Sc
      Jun 27, 2011

Amerigas.. the worst service around! We are working on getting rid of them right now.