Americatel / Fraudulent charges

I'm very angry about this! Americatel signed my telephone number to a long distance plan of theirs without my knowledge or permission. I just found out about this 2 days ago when I opened my at&t phone bill. They now want to charge me $28.99 for services I didn't sign up for nor knew about. I spent close to 2 hours on the customer service number for Americatel to speak to someone. Yes, close to 2 hours on hold, *actually 1 hour and 45 minutes*

I told the person that I had no need to sign up for long distance plans because I don't make long distance phone calls. She was adamant that I signed up to her company. I told her I didn't and she said she would cancel my account, but I would be responsible for this month's charges as well. What account? I never even heard of this company before. I will not pay these ### one red cent. I am reporting them to the BBB, FCC, FTC and CA Public Utilities commission.

Americatel also claims that I signed up for their telephone long distance plan on May 30th 2008 (Saturday). Funny thing, on May 29th to June 2nd I was in Houston Texas attending a wedding. I live in Los Angeles. Nobody was home that weekend and nobody has access to our apartment either.

Americatel is owned by a company called Platinum Equity out of Beverly Hills CA I was researching these dogs today. Shame on ATT for allowing this crap to happen too.

Va

More Americatel Complaints & Reviews

Comments

29th of Jul, 2008

I reported them too, these guys are thieves.

4th of Aug, 2008

I am on hold right now for 20 minutes with the same problem. I called AT&T last month and they credited me last months and said if it showed again I would have to call this company to cancel and then if they did not refund me AT&T would credit me for whatever they didn't.

So call AT&T and tell them what happened and they should credit you too. This is stupid.. I don't even speak spanish, I hope the person who comes on speaks english... UGH!!

• Ka
      7th of Mar, 2009

My 80 year old mother has the same problem. She has called and talked to them and requested that they cancel several times with no results.

• Lv
      2nd of Jun, 2009

Not that I'm glad this happened to you too, but thank God I am not the only one. I felt i was overreacting and over sensitive to be waken up early on Sundays but these idiots!

I made a big mistake and that was paying for the charges since they were minimal - big mistake!

There must be a way to get his thieves out of business - does anyone know who can we report this company so they can get audited or something?

There is a Tv show in the bay area called ' 7 on your side' and I am planning to make it public!

• Os
      15th of Jan, 2010

We were charged for a 40 min. call to Germany which we did not place.

• Wa
      21st of Jan, 2010

For almost a year I have been noticing a charge on my telephone bill from Americatel. We have never subscribed to this company, but they have managed to become a permanent fixture on my telephone bill with no end in sight.

• Fr
      1st of Aug, 2010

THIS COMPANY IS [censor] YESTARDAY I CHARGE 20 DOLLALARS TO MY BILL BECAUSE IT WAS N EMERGENCY CALL TO MY CONTRY AND STILL WATING MY MINUTES AFTER ONE DAY AND I CALL THE COMPANY AND I WAS N STILL HOLD LIKE 2 HOURS THIS IS [censor]

• Ne
      13th of Jun, 2016
    Americatel - Keep getting billed after 5 months of cancelling
    Delano
    California

I have called every month since January 2013 to let Americatel I dont want their service and all along they have been telling me my service will be cancelled but havent used them since 2012. I am fed up with all their lies. I called back in April to which this time I asked to speak to a manager. I am transferred to a "manager" which she tells me I just cancelled last month which would be March so I tell her I have been talking to all these people which I have all their names written down and the date and time I have talk to each month. Her reply is that I had just cancelled in March when all this time I have been trying to cancel and dont hear from them ever agian. I am so upset because the "manager" said I had to pay the current month. I told her I wasnt going to pay them anything. She said I could do whatever I wanted but still had to pay. I am so disgusted at this "company". I recently got my phone bill from AT&T and the charge is still on their. This is now May. I wonder what their excuse is this time? Can tell me what steps to take to fix this headache. I dont ever want to hear from Americatel in my life again. Please help!!!

• Th
      13th of Jun, 2016

Send them a CMRRR letter to cancel. Send ATT the same. Complain to your state AG, FTC, police for theft and let them know you are doing so. Call, complain to ATT, ask what's it gonna take to remove charges and stop continued billing. Tell them you are recording call.