American Van Lines East / scammers and cons

1 Tampa, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 9507 N Trask St

Recently, my wife and I booked the American Van Lines East moving company to move us across town, approximately 15 miles. After receiving numerous quotes, we decided to utilize their services only after speaking with Mary, their booking rep multiple times. Our main concern was on their quote and its terminology. The portion of the quote was the piece that talked about packaging supplies and that we would have to pay additional cost if we needed to further protect our belongings. She assured us that all furniture pieces are wrapped in moving pads and everything needed to move was included in the quote and unless we needed more packaging supplies, we’d be good to go. The only thing we would be responsible for moving or paying would be glass table tops if we elected to wrap them. After conversing with my wife and Mary, we determined that we could pack all delicates and be responsible for these ourselves. Little did we know……….

Well come day of the move, the movers show up an hour past the agreed appointment. The foreman of the job assesses what needed to be moved and says that he needs to go around and figure out if any extra packaging materials are needed. I reminded him that Mary and I spoke about this specifically on two occasions and agreed that all materials needed for the move were covered as we needed no specialty materials and all our belongings were packed and ready. Thirty minutes later, the foreman comes back and says that we will need $299.00 in packaging materials.

These consisted of the following all NOT INCLUDED IN THE quote of $410.01.

Mattress Cover to cover 1 Queen mattress/box springs and 1 full bed and box springs : $150.00
When asked if they could utilize the furniture pads in the truck they said if the mattress gets dirty, then the insurance was voided and they do not feel comfortable with this. Without this they could not move my mattress.

Shrink wrap for the couch and love seat : $48.00
They could not bring the couch and chair without this and mattress pads alone would not work

Bubble wrap for the bakers racks that has one glass shelf that is 3 foot by 1 foot and the little bit of glass on our TV stand : $60.00

TV box : $18.00
They could not move the 27 inch tube TV without this. If it broke in the move, once again the insurance would not cover this and would not be able to move this.

Tape, $4.50 per roll times 14 rolls = $63.00
This would be used to wrap the mattress pads that were "included" in our move, what was not included was the tape to secure those pads to the furniture.

Summarizing their totals, they said unless I agreed to these amounts, that no insurance would be honored for any of the pieces and the majority I would have to move myself.

After all this was said to me, I again reminded him that we were re-assured on two separate phone calls that all this was included. The foreman calls Mary and now is said from her otherwise. Please keep in mind, we have already paid an $82.00 deposit.

After an hour of back and forth conversation, no moving had been done yet so I decided to cancel this debacle. Mary then says, if you cancel on me I will charge your card $350.00 whether you like it or not. In disgust, I advised her not to do so or there would be repercussions. She then said it was too late, she already did good luck. Please keep in mind she did this during or before this phone call and had full intent of doing this regardless.

So here I stand today, mover-less and $432.00 charged to my credit card for services that were never rendered not to mention the "just tell them what they want to hear" phone calls to this company before going with them.

According to one of the movers, he says this happens ALL THE TIME and they cannot stand it. The company does not care as they charge you regardless and let you roll the dice with your credit card company. These types of business practices are not only immoral but fraudulently unlawful as well. My hope is that nobody ever has to go through this again and never utilizes this company as the next person scheduled will ultimately feel the same way. As it stands, I have disputed both charges and am awaiting finalization. If the disputes do not go my way, I fully intent on filing civil suit against them. Businesses like this should not be allowed to do these practices without consequence.

• Colormeunhappy's Response, Apr 10, 2017

AVL has called me aback and negotiated an amicable settlement.

Comments

• Fl
      12th of Feb, 2010

We had a similar experience and feel that this company uses fraudulent business practices.

• Ta
      5th of Jun, 2012
    American Van Lines East - Unprofessional and fraudulent
    American Van Lines East

Company tried to give me items that were not mine, did not offer me insurance on my goods, did not properly unload or inventory items upon delivery, driver used profane language, and Company refused to arbitrate with me regarding damaged and lost items.

• Av
      18th of Jun, 2012

Amazing how AVL DOES NOT FULFULL any of their extraordinary website claims and the initial claims by phone personnel!

Now AVL customer service is going to come back with ANOTHER "cut & paste" blah, blah, blah apology filled with redundant excuses!

QUESTIONS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE:
    1. Why do you NOT ASSIST customers DURING their crises, which are a direct result of AVL?
    2. Why do the sales reps., supervisors, brokers, and moving co-ordinatiors ALWAYS tell customers that they cannot do anything for them DURING the crises?
    3. Why does all the same above put customers on hold indefinitely and/or tell them that they will call customers back., but they do not call back?

• Go
      21st of Aug, 2017

American Van Lines East movers extortionist! These guys moved me from St. Cloud Fl to Harvard MA. 6 years ago and i'm still furious - All nice until they drive away with your life long belongings, kidnapped and held for ransom. Showed up in Harvard - with my goods packed like sardines in a can. Could not get the truck up the drive way - which I had told them that from the beginning but no not a problem these drivers re good. - I had to rent a UHAUL to go from a parking lot a mile away and then had to help the two old injured guys move the stuff from the trailer to the UHAUL and then into the house. The driver was a real A##, he just say in his truck. Worst Company i have ever dealt with in my life.

• Co
      4th of Nov, 2018
    American Van Lines - Packing and Interstate Move
    Pompano Beach
    Florida
    americanvanlines.com

Read what Mark Hopkins said. Add to that: they underestimate the fees about 40%-50%, they did a very poor job packing, they won't return calls, the president/owner won't return calls. If you read these reviews and you still use them, well, you were warned.