American Signature / Defective Furniture

1 Philadelphia, PA, United States Review updated:

I have to prefice this with the fact that we are in our 50's and have no children and the furniture we have we are very gentle with and take very, very good care of...with that in mind...We shopped and shopped for furniture for two months and decided on quite a few pieces at American Signature in Plymouth Meeting, Pa. We had chosen a sofa, a chaise lounge, a living room chair and an ottoman which were very attractive on the showroom floor. We made the purchase and then the problems began and have been on-going for three months! First, we were told they could only deliver the sofa and the other pieces were on back order - ready in two weeks - yet we were being billed from day one. When the chaise arrived we tried sitting in it for a day or two and it seemed the back had no support. We called and they sent out a "furniture technician" who found that the piece had probably been dropped because the back support was cracked in half. We returned that for a credit, yet still charged the delivery fee for it. Next, the chair we ordered ended up being a floor model that had scratches and dirt marks all over it, returned that, but still they charged the delivery fee. Next, the top of the ottoman's upholstery started to come loose from the piece and now the sofa arms are creaking and every time you move or sit on the sofa it cracks and cracks. I just called again and the "furniture technician" is coming out in a week. This is absolutely ridiculous! Why should anyone be paying over $1500 for furniture and every piece that is delivered is damaged or defective and needs repair. This is worse than used furniture! It is absolute junk! I would not suggest anyone ever buy anything from American Signature - it is really made of crap pieces of wood and materials that are just nothing but junk. They seem to make the money in their delivery fees! Ridiculous!

Comments

• Pa
      14th of Sep, 2010

I completely agree that the quality is non-existent and used furniture would be better quality than what American Signature sells. I am experiencing the same type of issue with my furniture. We spent $2700 on our leather furniture. It's been about 2 months and the sofa and matching chair are completely creaking and sounds like they are about to fall apart. I am afraid to sit on either piece while holding my baby and between the 2 of us we only weigh 160 pounds. I just had the "repair people" out to my house today to pick up the couch. As soon as they touched it they admitted the major board in the back of the couch shifted and was probably causing all the creaking sounds. This was after the "technician" who came a week earlier told me "this is a good piece of furniture. You don't have any major problems here." Luckily I thought he was full of it and insisted on the sofa being repaired. Once the couch comes back I am sending the chair to the repair factory. The entire back of the chair moves and creaks if I just barely touch it. And when I sit on the chair I hear all sorts of noises. It's very depressing. I really want a refund so we can go to a real furniture store and start over but apparently that's not an option. Instead we need to get the garbage furniture repaired. I am sure it will come back with outstanding issues.