American Shingle / Sales Methods

1 434 Crompton St., Charlotte, NC, United States Review updated:

A salesman showed up at my door and said I had hail damage to my roof. They said they could get my homeowners insurance to pay for a new roof. Next thing I know, they were filing a claim for me and gave me a contract to sign that said none of the things the salesman had promised. I called later and canceled but the insurance adjuster did show up and say that I have no damage at all. Of course, so now I have a claim against my policy for no reason at all. American Shingle seems like a SCAM to me.

Comments

• Mt
      17th of Feb, 2010

I have a similiar situation, they showed up and said I had a problem and put in a claim for me. I don't like this and I may go with another company based on the comment above.

19th of Feb, 2010

Unfortunately American Shingle is NOT a scam...it is actually the largest and fastest growing roofing company in America. It is also the largest residential purchaser of GAF-ELK products in the country. GAF_ELK are high quality materials most recommended by architects and custom home builders, they are the only products American Shingle will put on a home.

You may have had hail damage and just because an insurance company adjuster says you didn't is not 100% accurate or fact. I am in the roofing business in another state and know very well the roofing and insurance industry. It is well known that often is the case an adjuster can be new, poorly trained or indifferent to the homeowner. This is not always the case but often it can be due a high turnover type job. Go to better business bureau and see how many complaints are against YOUR insurance company...i don't even know who it is but on my life there will be hundreds of complaints.

You are also mis informed to actually believe a hail or wind claim will affect your insurance rate or your history with a company. In most states it is illegal to raise rates on a homeowner and i can assure the insurance industry is as highly regulated as banking and securities firms when it comes to rate adjustments and fiduciary responsibilities.

If you would have followed through what should have happened is an American Shingle adjuster would have met with the insurance company adjuster, the American Shingle adjuster is NOT the salesperson but a qualified adjuster who advocates for the homeowner at no cost to you. If it is determined you would have legitimate damage American Shingle would have handled the entire process in a highly professional manner and you very well would have had a new roof with no negative effect on your claim history.

What you signed was not a contract but a contigency agreement...if damage is legitimate and the company can assist in establishing a claim and funding to replace your roof they do want to be the company to install the roof however if there is not enough damage to qualify you have no obligation but are given peace of mind that your roof is sound at no cost to you, whatsoever.

If American Shingle were to set up an office in my area...i would very happily work for this company.

Your comments are negative without any real basis other than false assumptions... and even worse you took an adjusters comments at face value...you have no idea whether he was correct in his assessment but you assumed he knew what he was doing while at the same time you assumed American Shingle must be a scam.

• Nc
      21st of Feb, 2010
    Best Best Advice

I am an insurance agent in NC and I am dealing with an American Shingle claim. I do not know if they are a scam or not but their approach to business raises many flags of concern to me. It is my understanding they pull weather reports in a geographic area then go to that neighborhood and solicit that the homeowner file a claim with their insurance company. My client is also an elderly woman. She was approached and told that they think her roof has damage from a hail storm that occurred over 9 months ago. They have not gone on the roof yet and are waiting for the adjuster to come to assess the damage. They called the insurance company and then put my insured on the phone.

The previous poster stated most insurance companies could not cancel or increase rates due to claims. This particular rep my insured is dealing with actually stated that Federal Law prohibited companies from canceling coverage. Well this insurance is governed by state law not Federal Statute. American Shingle reps have no idea what other claims. The rep also told my client that if there was no damage the no foul to the insurance company. Well if an insurance company inspects a claim it could cost the company several hundred dollars. The cost of that inspection is charged to the client even if there is no damage. So it is not a no fault claim.

American Shingle seems to use a new model. They convince a customer they have damage based on insurance paying for it. If there is damage, then this is what we are here for. They seem to file the claim and throw the dice on the damage issue and leave the customer with a claim on their record.

28th of Feb, 2010

American Shingle was a godsend to me. You don't have a claim against your insurance cause you didn't get a check. And there is no "claim" with hail damage. Insurance co's don't like them cause they make them pay. My insurance adjuster was rude and uncooperative, they went up on the roof with them and showed them what he refused to see. I had shingles on the ground and the insurance adjuster said, "there is nothing wrong". Roof Lady is right there. They go out of their way to negotiate with insurance and do a lot of work upfront. So why wouldn't they simply ask for the biz in return? My house went from the neighborhood eyesore to the neighborhood envy.

12th of Mar, 2010

Well unfortunately I hired American Shingle last November, the process was the same as yours, the insurance adjuster came saw the roof and gave me a check, i handed it to the American Shingle Salesman and I was set for the installation of a new roof and gutters, so far so good rigth? well like I said this happened last november, it is now mid March and the job is still NOT DONE! I called them a few times but the only thing the reps know how to say is "sorry sir we are a bit behind in your area, " they finally came 5 days ago and did the roof work, is this the happy ending? nope, when they pulled the huge trash container out of my driveway they cracked it on 2 corners, one of them is not so bad but the other crack is about 3 feet long, and if I wasn't angry enough about all this the foreman came yesterday to finalize the paperwork and of course AS would be asking for the rest of the payment pretty soon, after I asked the foreman about the gutters and vent caps he looked at me with an idiot face and said "are you are supposed to get that done.??"
    This guys are terrible!! they have to be the worst company i have ever dealt with! and I'm still waiting for them to finish

• Bu
      12th of Mar, 2010

We live in Charlotte NC too and we are having a MAJOR PROBLEM with American Shingle. We signed agreement with them to have a roof put on our home. They wanted $6682.55 up front before they would start on the roof. So, we paid them that amount on Jan. 29, 2009 (not really wanting to give the money upfront but we did). They told us it would be 4 weeks before they would put our roof on. Then a couple of days later they called an scheduled for March 18, 2009, which was 6 weeks out. We agreed to that date and today (March 12, 2009) they called and said it would be April 14 before they could put on the roof. "Due to the shingles they received in to roof our home did not meet American Shingle expectations"!!! Like, I believe that!! So, I told them I either wanted my roof on March 18 like we agreed or a full refund. They told me they could not put the roof on until April 14 or just maybe if anyone canceled a little sooner. And they could give me a refund but they would keep %10 of the money we put down, because we canceled the contract...
    I have called several people and sent emails with no response...

So, I called my sales person and she said they were doing that to everyone; so much so she had to quite working for them. She said she knows of at least 15-20 people here in Charlotte that this has happened too. Some of these customers gave their money in November '09 and still do not have a roof on.

**Now I have contacted Action 9 News Don Griffin- hopefully he can help! I also filled a complaint with the BBB...

If anyone else has had this problem please contact Action 9 and the BBB- we need to stop this company from ripping hard working people off!!! They need to take the "American" out of their name!

• Ga
      16th of Mar, 2010

I live in Georgia and they are doing the same thing here to people. Going around saying that they have storm damage and there roofs are fine. This company is a Scam!!! Beware. I have got in touch with the BBB..

• Ba
      23rd of Mar, 2010

Same here in Birmingham, Alabama... I called for a FREE ESTIMATE and when the guy showed up he said I needed to sign a permission form so he could come on my property. Needless to say it was a contract... Ok my fault, I accept responsibility. The roof was to be put on Dec. 5th, 09. They called and pushed it back to Dec. 23rd. On which day no one ever showed up. Meanwhile I had a roof leak which was getting worse and doing damage to the inside of my house. They then called and said they would try to get to it around February, but after a few complaints they showed up on Jan 13th. (Here is where it gets good)

The finish the roof and the next thing I know I have several more leaks... including damages to my property including someone scratching their name on the top of my chimney, damaged walk way lights, garbage and excess product through into my attic, must have been a million nails left everywhere which led to multiple flat tires, complete disrespect by the staff at American Shingle. They showed up to my house and didn't tell my wife they were there, and took it upon themselves to climb on up on the roof. When they supposably fixed all the damaged property... this is what I found. (Pictures below)

Now lady roofer... what is your comeback to this...

24th of Mar, 2010

Banks36 that sucks! As a construction company employer who at times has had over 100 employees you have to know that "### happens". American Shingle however probably has hundreds if not in the thousands of employees. I've fired workers for doing ### like that as I'm sure American Shingle has also. As for the repairs it looks as if there were without a doubt some problems. I am strongly considering this business because of the economy and can assure you and American Shingle (the co I'm thinking of working for) That my name and reputation are all I have left of a failed business. Any business I originate will be a consumer that will also have my cell number and if there is a problem I WILL SCREAM TO THE HIGH HEAVENS until the client is sastified. You know you have misfits in every business there is. Doesn't matter. Insurance, builders, cars, Preachers!, Priests, Teachers. You got a misfit and I would think that A S would come back to take care of that and fix the damage that occurred inside as well. If they don't/won't please let me know. I'll rethink my career choices.

24th of Mar, 2010

To MaconLady. If you as an agent would follow storms in the neighborhoods of YOUR INSURED then there would be no worries now would there? Let me tell you a story by a roofing contractor. Up on a roof and hail strikes heavy ones more than 15 in a square. Adjuster shows up and DENIES IT! Same day different roof, different adjuster. Contractor meets the adjuster and the contractor is looking around himself and see's nothing bud bird ###. Adjuster buys the roof!! Contractor has to eat and replaces the ### shingles for new ones. There is experience and inexperience on both sides of this issue. However the truly deep pockets in this industry lies where????????? HELLO WITH THE INSURANCE COMPANIES!!! You want to put a stop to this and truly serve your insured clients? Get your ### out from behind your desk and visit your insured's. Get your ### up on a ladder and protect them and their property. If not the agent then reps with the knowledge to inspect. For God's sake you take the money every damn month! WORK FOR IT!!! I'm sick to death listening to insurance companies and their agents whine about a damn claim. From what I have learned just doing some research to see if I want to be involved in this business YES we try to have an adjuster come look at every roof possible because we don't know if the insurer will buy hail strikes or bird ###!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

24th of Mar, 2010

ooo! GAGAL just read your post. That is NOT COOL!!! THAT SUCKS BECAUSE I WAS SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING TAKING A POSITION with American Shingle. WAS THERE SOME KIND OF CATASTROPHE IN NC? HURRICANE OR SOMETHING that would give that great of a backlog?

24th of Mar, 2010

Ok, I've read enough. I still have issues with the insurers but I won't be taking a position with American Shingle. Number one thing in construction. DO NOT PAY IN ADVANCE FOR WORK DONE TO YOUR HOME! Ask any contractor for a "SCHEDULE OF VALUES"! A schedule of values is this: A break out of work to be complete and looks like this:

Shingles and roofing materials: $3, 000.00
    guttering: $1500.00
    siding: 6, 000/00
    LABOR TO INSTALL ROOFING: $5500.00
    LABOR TO INSTALL GUTTERING: $1, 650.00
    LABOR TO INSTALL SIDING: 8, 500.00
    TOTAL PROJECT: ...$26, 150.00

If they won't provide you this...SIONARA cowboy!

After the materials have been delivered I would pay them for the materials only!! After the labor to install has been paid I would ask for a "LIEN WAIVER FOR MATERIALS" You have to do some due dilligence here. Ask: Where are you purchasing the roofing materials? Where are you purchasing the guttering and siding? Before you pay for the labor make sure it is complete and that the material suppliers have been paid! If the material suppliers have NOT BEEN PAID they can LIEN YOUR PROPERTY!!! Capiche?

Another thing I believe to be true is this. IF you have a claim...example you know you have damage! Call your insurance company yourself. Get on line and GOOGLE hail damage and try to learn what is looks like. If you as the home owner can identify hail damage the adjuster is not going to try to deny YOU! Once you have proven the claim the insurer will write you a check for the cash value of your roof after your roof is complete and replaced they will write you a check for the depreciation. GUESS WHAT? After you have a check in your hand you can go WHERE...That's right boys and girls you can go SHOPPING!!! Call several contractors and get quotes. Let them know YOU AIN'T PAYING UNTIL THE WORK IS DONE, AND YOUVE GOT UP ON THE ROOF AND TURNED THE HOSE ON FOR A LENGTH OF TIME AND UNTIL EVERY PIECE OF TRASH, NAIL, ETC ETC ETC IS PICKED UP AND OUT OF HERE!!!

That's the way REPUTABLE contractors work! They don't take your money until they've handed you the Big Mac. Then with money you have left you can send me $50 bucks for saving the several hundred dollars you'll save by shopping for a competitive bid!

Oh yeah THE BIG ONE!!! GET A CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE BEFORE LETTING ANYONE ON YOUR ROOF. A certificate of insurance states that the contractor is paying workers compensation for the workers he has employed to work on your house. Some workers are self employed under the contractor. That's fine but they should then be able to provide you with a certificate of insurance stating that they are covered or "EXEMPT" from this insurance. IF YOUR CONTRACTOR CANNOT PROVIDE THIS OR YOU DO NOT ASK AND THE INSTALLER FALLS OFF YOUR ROOF, GUESS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?

Very good!! Yep he is going to sue Y O U!!! Can you say 2nd claim of the year? One on the roof and one on the employee on your roof that is claiming against your home owners insurance. 2 claims in one year for some Insurers means CANCELLATION!!!

24th of Mar, 2010

Attention all American Shingle Customers they are a scam and going out of business very soon. They have 1000.s of customers deposits from insurance companies and homeowners and spent the money open offices everywhere and now they do not have the money to buy materials, much less qualified labor. If you have a deposit with american shingle be a real american and call the attorney general of your state, the insurance commission, and your attorney and beg for your deposit back if not your going to lose any and all money you have given these clowns

24th of Mar, 2010

anyway i hope this helps the people that have not given them any money yet. i am afraid after talking to my attorney once they get your check and they go out of business there is nothing that we can all do except file with your state attorney general, insurance state commissioner, the bbb, and your insurance agent to make sure that dont keep taking peoples money and not doing the work. so i am doing my part by contacting all the above so others dont get scammed too.

• Re
      25th of Mar, 2010

I have also had a similar experience with these people.They refuse to give a quote and want the check. I have a check from my insurance company but have yet to go any farther.I am very sketchy about them.I need a new roof but this company seems very shady and not trust worthy.I just dont know what to do at this point since i signed that damn agreement.Any help would be appreciated.

25th of Mar, 2010

All these complaints in one day? My bet is someone is spamming the board. My salesperson was a pastor. Told me there are 3 pastors and a ex cop working for them. Don't beleive this stuff. It's probably a competitor

• Do
      26th of Mar, 2010

Hey American Shingle Scam, I know who you are and I am glad you got fired...you should have gone to jail. You better be careful posting those lies on here...your IP address can easily be tracked and you are tempting them to come after you.

• Yo
      30th of Mar, 2010

every one on this site was an idiot plain stupid as for american shingle they need help with al there hr stuff and thats just simple growing pains by law they cannot keep the insureds money thats what bonding is for. They simpley will just get kicked out of where the are trying to work. For there defense they are putting on around 200 roofs a week nationwide so give em a little break on being so back logged you all didnt even consider a new roof until they showed up whats the rush.

• Yo
      30th of Mar, 2010

you all are idiots who dont even see the big picture I cant believe you are all this dumb and own homes wow you should be ashamed

30th of Mar, 2010

Banks236 I clicked on your profile and sent a message that may contain some useful info. Hope it helps. I agree the work is shoddy and unacceptable. I am not sure what is going on with the company...i knew of them for a year and they were great and didn't have these issues but they are growing way too fast and it seems a little out of control if there is no system in place to guarantee premium installations and hire crews that are experienced and well trained. This type of situation makes all roofers look bad but there are plenty of great ones too so like everything else research and references and seeing the work on other homes is worth the effort before you sign up for anything. Also i will state...that agreement you sign with American Shingle is NOT a contract...it is clearly a contingency agreement...you are not locked into anything. I would also agree with the poster citing HR problems...there is no doubt issues with growth...but growing pains are no excuse for shoddy installs.

31st of Mar, 2010

American Shingle is definitely NOT a scamming company. It is true that we target areas that have wind/hail damage. We offer a service to customers from the very beginning. Most homeowners are not aware that they have hail damage or can even be approved for a new roof. American Shingle helps customers get approved. That is what allows us to stand out, we hold your hand from beginning to end. Homeowners that meet with their adjusters alone have a 30% chance of getting their claim approved. 30%! We have guys actually meet up with the adjusters at the homeowners house to help and point out things to get them approved. We have shown that 70% of roofs that we offer our services to get APPROVED! Insurance companies are not in the business of "giving away money" as I am sure you are aware of. The piece of paper that you sign when the sales rep meets with you is just a CONTINGENCY CONTRACT. It just basically a form of commitment. You commit to our company if we can get you approved for a roof. That's it! If you are not approved, there are no penalties. We have a customer care team that are easily accessible for any questions or concerns, can you say that about other roofing companies? We offer free upgrades from the start and have the highest quality shingles money can buy. We offer different warranties to suit your needs. As far as the scheduling, yes I will admit that we have had to schedule up to 8 weeks out. When considering the schedule please remember that this has been the rainiest season for each of our states and consequently it effects us greatly. After all, we ARE a roofing company. It is our job to work around the weather mishaps. Like the person above said, EVERY company that exists has had issues with customers. You cant make everyone happy. A roof is a very important purchase to customers because this is the house that they bought with their hard earned money. In no way is American Shingle trying to take that for granted. Every installation will not be to complete satisfaction for every single homeonwer. American Shingle will take responsibility for any mishaps that happen during the installation. We will get the issues fixed. If you look at the records of BBB, we do have complaints HOWEVER we have resolved most of them and are working to resolve them all. American Shingle will be around for years to come. Please beware of the "Mom and Pop" roofing companies that may go down in a year or two. For anyone that has concerns that have not been addressed to their satisfaction, please send your concerns to the Customer Care team.

• St
      5th of Apr, 2010

They got me!! Here I am in Dallas Ga, in need of a new roof due to the terrible workmanship. They of course got half my money. I have all of the same issues as the pictures show by the person above. Flashing hanging out everywhere. Roof is crooked, and wavy. They get your bid then sell it off to the cheapest sub contractor they can find. During the time while my roof was being replaced the salesman, coordinator, forman and regional manager quit. What else needs to be said. They are the fastest growing fastest falling roofing company with no respect. They will rip you off. Good luck with the BBB that a flop to. I have seen it, company pays score goes up. Its ALL ###ING LIES!!! Now my roof is in worse shape than if they would had never touched it!!!

• Li
      14th of Apr, 2010

I have sign the contingency form but I am afraid to do busniess with American Shingles due to all the complaints and the suspense rating with BBB in Birmingham. GA has a rating of an "F" as on April 14, 2010. There are four houses in my neighborhood with American Shingle's advertisement since Oct. 2009. No new roof yet. That's a long time to wait for a new roof. Does any one have any advises about the contingeny contract that I signed???

• Dc
      16th of Apr, 2010

Never ever give anyone any money up front. Never ever sign anything until you research and view references and actual homes that they have completed in the area. American Shingle is what we "mom and Pop roofers" call "storm chasers". They set up a small local office in an area hit by a storm and hire locals and give them a crash course in high pressure sales. They find local subs that they hire and have no idea on their work quality or experience. They sit in an area for a few months, do about 100-200 roofs and leave the local residence with a poor quality roof. Us "mom and pop" companies clean up the mess by repairing these roofs.

17th of Apr, 2010

American Shingle...contingency agreement...you are not locked into anything. Even if an adjuster from your insurance company has been out and approved your roof and decide to contact a local roofer you have confidence in then by all means you do what is right for you. American Shingle isn't going to take the time or spend the resources to 'hold' you to any agreement.

If you choose another roofer be sure to call your insurance company and have them add notes to your claim on your contractor of choice and the contact info too.

However, the minute you turn over a check to American Shingle then you are binding yourselves to allow them to install your roof and collect the rest of the payment from the insurance.

17th of Apr, 2010

Hmm, american shingle scam, , you sound like a competitor to me, thats frustrated with their success and is trying to bring them down a notch or two. If anyone is been contacted by as, , ask them to give you the addresses of recent replacements, inform yourself and check the work. you only have to ask.

• Mi
      21st of Apr, 2010

i was approached by a American shingle rep and was fully informed of all there business practices.
    i was a little suspicious but went ahead and filed with American shingles help
    and now i know what damages are on my roof and can take care of it before i have a really serious problem.
    thank you American shingle if not for you i would have been out a lot of money for something that my insurance company will not cover

as far as the people out there complaining, 300 million revenue a year company will have a few people not happy
    hell i know a few people that you could give a million bucks to and they still would wonder why they didn't get 2 million.

i think people (adjusters and other contractors ) should stop blasting this website with crap about a company just because American shingle does more for the homeowner then they can.

• Sp
      21st of Apr, 2010

We are a very large company and sometimes there are mistakes. We install 250 plus roofs nationally every week. Now seriously, do you really expect for all homeowners to not complain about anything? REALLY? It seems that every complaint comes from an individual who signed up to use us and they still have not once came into there local office to complain. If I had an issue with a business i would personally go talk to them face to face especially if they had an office near by!!!

• Ro
      12th of May, 2010

American Shingle has one of the worse if not the worse names in roofing in Charlotte, NC. Yes I do work for another company and yes I do talk to homeowners that WILL NOT deal with any roofing contractors now because of AMERICAN SHINGLE. There are enough adjusters that I have met with and homeowners that ALL say the same things...SCAM ARTIST!!!

• Mb
      21st of May, 2010

Wow! I must say this is amazing. This company has made it to Columbia SC and so far I have gone back behind this company with the exact same complaints. Both of thecustomers that I have spoke with said the same thing " They forced me into signing a contract, got a "deductable check " and then delayed the job. I must say that whoever is practicing these sales methods must be out of his/her mind.
    It is against the law for this type of behavior and I have instructed both of my cutomers to contact an attorney along with their insurance company to pursue legal action.
    What this company is doing is as follows: Ride around neighborhoods looking for older homes that may need a new roof. They approach the customer with a forceful sales pitch and promise that they will take care of the insurance claim. Then they get a "deductable check" or a " adjuster fee" then delay the agreed install date. After they delay it they either pursue more money before they start or they do a very poor job on the roof when they finally come out. Please be aware that whoever practices these types of sales methods are "ambulance chasers" and are trying to scam either the homeowner and/or the insurance companies.
    This is not my opinion but is the truth direct from the homeowners I have spoken with. Please be aware of this scam

24th of May, 2010

Go to americanshingle.com and click on the community page. Not so sure a scam artist company would put a roof on someone's house FOR FREE. Sure it's good PR but it also helped a family in Kansas City get a roof that they apparently needed pretty badly but couldn't get it handled on their own. I've looked all over the place for some sort of legal issues with american shingle and can find none. My guess would be that they are legit. As far as going out of business is concerned, how many companies would spend their last dollars putting a roof on for someone without receiving any sort of payment for that job? NONE. The largest roofing company in america is not going anywhere. Competition and insurance companies will gripe about them for a very long time. If I was an insurance company I would hate them too because they affect my bottom line. Of course, if I was an insurance company I would also know that I have plenty of money. Anyone guess what Allstate spent on advertising last year? $381 million. I'm pretty sure american shingle and the claims that they make Allstate pay wouldn't even scratch that. At a pace of 200 roofs per week as someone above said that would total over 10, 000 in a year. Lets do a bit of math here. Better Business Bureau has 60 some complaints about them. That is less than 1% of all their customers and even double that to include those unhappy who didn't post to BBB and you've still got a company doing right by 98.8% of their customers. And by the way, those complaint numbers go back 3 years. So I think it is safe to assume that if a company can do good work and keep 99% of their customers happy then I'd probably want to do business with them.

Keep in mind you are asking this question on an internet complaint board. How many positive responses did you expect? While we're on the subject of the better business bureau does anyone know why companies like Best Buy, Coca Cola, and Applebees don't have an A rating? They are huge and do very well in their respective business sectors. Because they are not accredited. Anyone seen an accredited BBB company rated less than an A? Not very often. You know what it takes to be accredited? Money. Any of these companies pay the BBB they will immediately jump up in grade. Same company, same business practices, same number of complaints, but they paid for accreditation. Sounds like the BBB might be in the business of scamming.

• Jh
      24th of May, 2010

American shingle is a scam. They lie to people telling them that having an adjuster come out doesn't count as a claim...wrong...call your local Ins. Comm. Office. My I.C.O. sent me a letter stating that even if damage is not found that still it is a claim and that 3 claims in a 36 month period can result in loss of coverage!!! People are getting screwed because of these crooks. I showed them the letter and they said it wasn't true.Also I worked for A.S. for 3 weeks and made sales for them at the end of 3 weeks they let me go saying I wasn't working enough hours even though I spent 700.00 on gas and now A.S. will not pay me for my earned commission. Don't let these peolpe in your home and don't work for them.They even talked me into letting them look at my house...both A.S. and my ins. co. agreed there was no damage to my house but the A.S. guy tore some singles loose as he was coming down. I have called and called and they will not even return my call about fixing my roof they tore up!!

24th of May, 2010

Jhammock, as a former insurance agent I can tell you that I've seen my clients get paid for a roof, car accident, liability claim, and automotive comprehensive claim and were not cancelled. All within a year. All insurance companies underwrite in very different ways and when one company denies coverage for too many "acts of god" claims there are plenty of others out there who would love to collect premiums from them. I've written people with multiple hail and comprehensive vehicle claims that never counted against them in our eyes. In fact, they still received the claim free discount we offered. The fact is that any insurance company can cancel coverage on whoever they want for whatever reason they want. The cancellation threat is nothing more than an insurance company scare tactic. Sadly it works. I had a client ask me this one time, "why do I pay you for something that I am afraid to ever use?" I promptly filed his claim. Take what you will, fellow posters, from a disgruntled employee. Anyone ever get fired from Walmart and proceed to let everyone know how crappy a company they are? I'm sure we've all known a few.

• Jh
      24th of May, 2010

and so you are saying it is ok to lie to people and not let them know up front that it will count as a claim against your homeowner policy. So you are calling the Ins. Commissioners Office a liar to huh? your name is johnny giddens and you are the sales mgr at a.s. you told people that you were an ins agent and that an act of god doesn't count against...you should go to prison for the lies you tell...you call yourself a christian yet you lie, steal and cheat people...hell is your destination. He hires people and tells them a.s. is a christian company yet when it comes to doing the right thing he is satan himself!

24th of May, 2010

I am a financial planner who lives in New Hampshire. Last I checked american shingle did not have an office in my state. But please, continue to bash your former employer. It makes everyone here see why you were fired in the first place. When I was in insurance I told everyone it would count as a claim. I also told them that if no money was paid out it wouldn't matter as it would not be counted against your loss ratio as I'm sure you know zero dollars paid out really means that nothing happened. If a homeowner has ANY reason whatsoever to believe he might have damage to his covered property it is his RESPONSIBILITY to inform the insurance company in a timely manner or he may be found neglectful. At least that is what every single homeowners policy I ever sold stated in its declaration.

Not sure about other states but here in South Carolina, ,

Acts of God claims cannot be used when determining claim frequency.
    Section 38-75-790.

@MGB2010

Also, "forced" to sign a contract. How? Homeowner's have an interest in replacing their roof and its as simple as that. Not every roof is found to have sufficient damage to warrant the insurance company replacing the roof. The insurance company has the final word but AS does its best to ensure its a fair review and if its not approved for replacement by the insurance company, the homeowner owes AS nothing.

There is no scam, there are 250 homeowners in Columbia with new roofs thank to AS. No roofs are delayed due to the need for more money, , ever. if the roof has been rescheduled there may be a delay for weather but never for money.

We speak to insurance companies every day with the homeowners present during the conversation and if the insurance company wishes to speak to the homeowner, it is done. Most insurance companies never ask to speak to the homeowner though, , so this runs counter to your comment "It is as simple as this, a CONTRACTOR can never speak for the homeowner in a claims related issue.Period. "

Yes, I work for AS and I am proud of helping the homeowners that I have helped get a new roof. And it appears to me that you are an insurance agent who has had some claims go against your bonus for claims and are not happy about it. There is no scam. If you are an agent or an adjuster as I suspect, the homeowners told you that they were "forced" to divert you from being angry with them is my guess. And why should they be concerned about your opinion? Perhaps its because you/insurance company intimidate them and they dont want any grief from you or the insurance company. Now how does that sound? Sounds like I could call you and your insurance company a scam. You take premiums from people and yet they are scared of you and the tactics of intimidation of cancellations and rate hikes. Now who's the scam?

Or perhaps you do care for your customers but have not heard both sides of a story and are making a judgment from one perspective only. Have you tried speaking to anyone at AS, , I would guess not. Is that the way you do things. Call someone a scam without hearing both sides. Wish you had been with me last week when I was speaking to homeowners with new roofs that were so thrilled with both the new roof and how they were handled by AS.

Any homeowner in Columbia can work with his sales agent in regards to his installation and get results in both installation date and any other issue they have. We aim to please and will do what it takes to satisfy the homeowner. We know that referrals are the most important part of our business and it would be stupid to handle customers as you have implied.

• Fl
      3rd of Jul, 2010

DCLTSC, my question is for you. What city has American Shingle left since it began?

• Ub
      4th of Jul, 2010

We were lucky. After a 4 month relationship with AS we were fortunate that they hadn't cashed our check yet. Seems their corporate office is a bit dis-organized as well. I had also refused to sit on an endorsed insurance check so I banked it and wrote a personal check to them when the friendly "closer" came for our "shingle selection" meeting. Shortly after giving them the check I couldn't get any service from them at all. These A-holes have a customer service line that puts callers in queue and when they finally reach the first place in line they are greeted with a message that the customer service agent is on another line and to leave a message for them to call you back. What a line of crap. No one will ever call. Our rep told us that they were about 3-4 weeks out on their schedule but when I got a call from their scheduling office I was told that it would be 9 weeks. I managed to reach my rep after about 3 calls and she got the install moved up 2 weeks. The day before the install they placed a huge dumpster in our driveway and then called us to say that the corporate office had failed to order shingles for our job. ??? More BS, there are two large shingle distributors in the KC area and one of them still does business with AS, yes only one of them. I called and was told that the shingles we needed are in stock and that all it would take is a purchase order to have them delivered in less than an hour. That was 5 days ago. I still have a dumpster blocking my driveway and can't reach anyone from AS to tell me when they plan to do the work. I have finally had it with these jerks and stopped payment on the check. I called the roll-off company and the dumpster will be picked up empty (except for an American Shingle yard sign) and the driver is signing a lien release on it. Like I said, we were lucky.

• Ci
      28th of Jul, 2010

Cincinnati...They are here now. every comment I have read about AS seems to be true both good and bad. The company is 2years old, has 23 locations and has done over 33, 000 roofs, and have under 150 complaints total from all their offices. That doesn't seem bad.

Now for those of you that have had their dates pushed out and out, AS is a sales and marketing firm, they sub out all of the work until they can find a local contractor that does superior work and can hire them on full-time. Most of the scheduling is out of their control because they don't have roofers on staff. Everyone is complaining about getting a new roof put on for what your deductible is, now if I could get my $10, 000 roof put on for my $500 deductible I would - THATS A DEAL... So far no one had been shafted and all got their roof.

Since they are new to the area here, it seems they are in every neighborhood in about a 40 mile radius from their office and all working the same storm date from about a month ago. I've had 2 guys stop by my house, both said the exact same thing, They were with American Shingle, out in the area because of recent storms with high winds and hail and they were able to help out other homeowners with getting their roof replaced by their insurance co. All we had to do is file a claim for wind and hail. (they insured me that my rates would not go up and my insurance wouldnt be dropped)

Now for their "contract", nothing on in is binding and you can back out at any time. Or you could even use a different contractor, good luck finding one that's not going to back charge you for the amount your insurance co doesnt cover...

From what one guy told me is that the people that are knocking your door are ONLY sales people and know NOTHING about your roof, It is not their job to qualify you before they sign you up, as most damage can't be seen from the ground. The sales guy is only paid to sign you up and get your adjuster on your roof and the best part of that is it DONT COST YOU A DIME and you get to know what condition your roof is in by a licenced adjuster.

• Jv
      29th of Jul, 2010

I was an employee of this company from January 2010 through April 2010. From the first day I was there I was advised by management to think of any excuse to tell the homeowner as to why the roof that their insurance company had already paid for was not being installed as was contracted. Weather conditions, bad materials received, materials not sent by supply companies, etc. The truth was that the supply companies American Shingle used at the time refused to send out more materials due to them not paying their bills. Where was the money going?? Who knows. It certainly wasn't going to pay for employee benefits or overtime. Most of the time I did not even get my paycheck on time, and when I did was at risk of having it bounce had i deposited it into my bank account. It got to the point top where I could not return to the Atlanta office without feeling guilty. I do not like lying to people when it comes to thousands of dollars. "The homeowner is not paying anything out of pocket, The insurance company is. They should not be upset. If it wasn't for American Shingle, they wouldn't even know they had damage to their roof." Whatever. Lying and deceiving people is what it is, regardless of who's funds are being used to pay for a service. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.