[Resolved] American Roofing And Exteriors / People need to be protected from companies like these

1 El Paso, TX, United States Review updated:

This company is charging us a $600 cancellation fee for a contract that we did not agree to. There are two places to sign on the contract one that states that we understand the terms, and another place to agree to the proposal (thus turning it into a contract). We signed to show that we understood the terms of the proposal, but we did not sign in the place that makes the proposal an actual contract. Before signing on the first line, I asked the sales representative if we were bound to the company if we signed. He sai that we were not bound until the last line was signed. When we decided to go with another company (that did the work for the same price, but used higher quality materials, such as 30 weight felt, pricier shingles, and colored flashing), the man became offensive on the phone and said that we were bound by the contract, and that we owe the company 10% of the cost of the roof. We received a bill for $600 from their central office in Missouri. I called to have the situation resolved, to no avail.

What first made me suspicious of the company was that the sales representative did not give us an actual price for the roof. Instead, he just listed insurance proceeds plus deductible. All replacement wood would have been our responsibility as well. Additionally, we were to receive the insurance money in two checks. The first check was in excess of $4, 500, and the man wanted us to simply sign it over to the company, rather than follow the 50% in advance payment that is clearly stated on the contract. He reluctantly said that we could work something out when I expressed my concern.

The list of the 24 disclaimers on the back of the agreement also concerned me. Item 6 states that the company will not be held liable for any damage that they do to the building. Item 8 says that the company will not be held responsible if their equipment breaks up the driveway. Item 9 states that the company can use different materials than those agreed upon, as long as they meet with industry standards. Item 16 releases the company from liability if the roof becomes damaged due to (they may ask that you prove that it wasnt defective in the first place). Item 20 states that they will not guarantee that water will not pool on the roof.

The agreement itself is confusing and misleading with the two separate places to sign. Thus far in my adventures in telling everyone I know about this company, to include 2 police officers (1 sergeant, and 1 white collar crime specialist), 2 high school teachers (1 is a Ph.D.), a mortgage company manager, a title company manager, and 3 representatives from other roofing companies, not one person said that it is a valid contract. I will continue to spread the word. People need to be protected from companies like these!

• Resolution statement

• This is Matt Woods. I am the owner of American Roofing and Exteriors. This complaint is not true and this person posting complaint may call us anytime to discuss. 1-800-766-3161

• To JASJSD: this is Matt Woods of American Roofing and Exteriors. We do not know who Melanie Q is but another happy customer. We are available if you would like to discuss this 800-766-3161. We are an honorable company and an employee posting on this website would not be honorable.

To Burchfield Family: We did have some challegnes complting the work on your home. We have always repsonded to your concerns and performed in a professional matter. The entire process is documented in our database if you would like to review with our company. We are avaiable to discuss this 800-766-3161.

• This is Matt Woods, founder of American Roofing. Its very suspicious that someone is bad mouthing our company but not leaving a name or any information about an issue that would need to be corrected. This sounds like a competitor trying to tarnish a good name.
    If you are a customer, please call 24/7 so this may be discussed and resolved. 800-766-3161.

• Again, this is Matt Woods, the owner. 1-800-766-3161. We have nothing to hide and are available to discuss any concerns from any of our customers. I sure hope the folks reading this thread do thier own homework on our company and do not believe posts by people trying to smear a company but not brave enough to state who is posting.

Va

More American Roofing And Exteriors Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ro
      28th of Aug, 2008

I live in the El Paso, Texas area and was in need of a good roofer. Through my insurance company, I was referred to American Roofing & Exteriors. I am so glad that I was! Between the insurance company and American, absolutely everything was taken care of. I did not have to worry about anything. The work done was excellent, and the customer service that I received was better than anything that I’ve experienced in years. I am very happy that I found American Roofing & Exteriors. I’ve already referred them to tons of family and friends, and I will be a customer for life!

Nancy L.
    Horizon City, TX

28th of Aug, 2008

I am a very satisfied customer with American Roofing and Exteriors, a local roofing company. I had gotten bids from several other companies, but my chose American for many reasons. All the other companies were all business, and simply seemed interested in getting me to sign a contract and write them a check. With American, it was different. The representative who came to my home took his time with my wife and me, and really explained everything and answered all the questions that we had. Throughout our entire project, we were kept updated at all times. If I had had any concerns (which I didn’t), I felt like I could have easily brought them to the attention of the company. So many places, these days, give you the run around. That was not the case with American. The job was done right, quick, and without incident. American is a great company, period!

Sincerely,
    Jack in El Paso

28th of Aug, 2008

I want to highly recommend American Roofing and Exteriors to anyone in the El Paso area who needs a new roof. They did my roof earlier this year, and I could not be happier. From start to finish, everything was done great. They were all really nice, and on the ball. I didn’t have to wait around for answers or for my roof to get started. If you need roofers, give them a call.

Thanks,
    Chris
    El Paso

28th of Aug, 2008

I have never posted a review like this, but I am so impressed with an experience that I had with American Roofing and Exteriors. I really felt like they wanted to make sure that I was completely happy and content with the work that they were doing. In my opinion, everyone in the organization went above and beyond. I was having some issues with my insurance, but the folks at American were very patient, and even dealt with my insurance for me. I am a very satisfied customer for life.

Dan in Pevely Missouri

28th of Aug, 2008

PLEASE give this company a chance to earn your business, just like they earned mine! My name is Jackie, and I needed to have some small repair work done on my home. I was just missing a fascia cover. I thought that it would be difficult to get a larger company to do something so small, but when I called American Roofing and Exteriors, they were able to send someone out to give me an estimate the very next day that I was available. I was given the same respect and attention as if I was getting a brand new roof.! I could always call my contact there, and get a prompt response back. I now know who to go to whenever I need anything done on my home. This company can do it all, and do it well!

Jackie
    St. Louis, MO

28th of Aug, 2008

As a contractor myself, I understand the importance of a professional workforce, fast response time, and great communication with your clients. American Roofing & Exteriors does too. I am overjoyed by the outstanding service that I have received from this company. In a time where people are afraid of getting a “raw deal” by so many contracting companies, it is very refreshing to find a company that is completely honest. By the quality of the service and the professionalism of the team employed there, I felt like they truly wanted to make me a customer and friend for life. The sales team was exceptionally knowledgeable and stayed with the project from start to finish. My rep was always available to answer any questions. The crew was professional and thorough, and cleaned up after themselves perfectly (which is hard to find). The customer service department was always very friendly and made sure that my experience with their company was top notch all the way. Needless to say, I would highly recommend this company to anyone needing roofing done. You will not be sorry that you went with such a great company.

Todd in St. Peter’s MO

4th of Sep, 2008

I have had my roof replaced by American Roofing back in march and have had problems with it ever since. So far five representatives from the company have came and looked at the problems to no avail. The roof still leaks around the chiminey and the flat roofing is warped and there is craking all over the place where they put tar. They keep giving me the run around. I have so far told 5 people not to go with them for these reasons. They first told me that these problems would fix themselves during the hot weather, they didn't. I can not recommend this company to anyone!!!

• Ml
      1st of Oct, 2008

I had a similar experience with American Roofing and found this when i googled "American Roofing Scam". I new there was something fishy about this company when they wanted me to turn over my insurance check. Luckily I did my homework and did not sign up with them at all! HOW FUNNY THAT ALL OF THE POSITIVE COMMENTS WERE PLACED ON THE SAME DAY! HMMM, MAKES YOU WONDER!!! Not only that but a lot of those comments are from people in Missouri who otherwise would have nothing to do with American Roofing in EL PASO, TX. WOW! What a coinsidence!!! DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY!!! THEY ARE SCAMMERS!!!

29th of Oct, 2008

Actually M.Leyva, American Roofing has offices in El Paso, Kansas City, AND St. Louis. Luckily, I also did my homework and found a great company that could not have done a better job on my roof. I completely disagree with several of these negative complaints. I understand that there are two sides to every story, but I loved my experience with this company. I felt comfortable from the get-go, and have been ever since!!!

31st of Oct, 2008

I was very impressed by the work that American Roofing and Exteriors did on my home. The crew was very professional and arrived on time. They even stayed late to finish the work! They were knowledgeable and answered all of my questions (and I had a lot!). I would recommend this company to all of my family and friends.

• Fe
      4th of Nov, 2008

Hello! My name is Fernando, and this company completed my roof in October of this year. I was so happy with the outcome. The company made every step of the process simple and easy to understand. The crew was very friendly and courteous. I am so happy that I was referred to this crew by a friend. I could not have made a better choice.

• Sy
      13th of Nov, 2008

My husband and I had our roof repaired by American Roofing and Exteriors. The job was made so easy and done so fast. I wish that we had gone with this company to replace our roof in the first place! Everyone that I spoke to within the company was friendly, pleasant, and knowledgeable. The crew was courteous and respectful. They worked the entire day to make sure that the repair was done. (That is not always that case here in El Paso.) I am telling everyone that I know that go with this company.

• Sy
      19th of Nov, 2008

Wow, all I can say is wow! American Roofing and Exteriors made replacing my roof easy and worry-free. I was so upset when my house sustained hail damage. I thought that I would have to endure a months-long process that would be difficult and aggravating, but not with this company. It was done within the month with very little work on my part. They made it SO easy! Wow!

18th of Dec, 2008

I initially had another crew doing my roof. They were sloppy and (barely) completed very poor work. I so wish that I had gone with the second crew that American Roofing sent out first. That crew was great!!! They tried their best to fix all of the issues that the first crew did wrong. I will continue to go back to American Roofing and Exteriors for any work that I need done. They took an already bad situation, and completely turned it around. THANK YOU!!!

15th of Jan, 2009

I want to sing the praises of a local roofing company, American Roofing and Exteriors. They completed my new roof earlier this year. They met with my insurance adjuster and myself, and made me feel very comfortable with the entire process. They kept me up-to-date with my project, and always returned my calls. Not only was the work that they provided exceptional, but I also loved the warranty that I received at no additional charge. They workers were very clean and professional, and my service was wonderful. I would recommend this company to anyone who needs roof work done.

• Lt
      29th of Jul, 2009
    American Roofing and Exteriors - scam
    American Roofing and Exteriors
    Oklahoma

My company has been working on a large vinyl siding project for several months in Oklahoma.
    Now that the project is almost completed, , this company, AMERICAN ROOFING AND EXTERIORS, is coming out at night and placing their company advertising signs on our project.

HOW LOW CAN YOU STOOP?

12th of Jan, 2010

I have no complaint!! They did a great Job... Other companies did a bad job on my place before... American did a thorough job...

Lorenzo M...

• Bu
      26th of Jul, 2010

American Roofing replaced our roof almost two years ago and its been a nightmare ever since. The roofers they sent out set our house on fire when they were using a blow torch on our balcony. After everything was finally completed with the fire damage and the roof, everytime it rains we have leaks in the kitchen and the living room. They keep sending people out to patch up the problems only to have the leaks resurface everytime it rains. I feel that the whole thing needs to be redone because obviously the [censor]s they sent to do the job were incompetent. I would not recommend this company to anyone, not even my worst enemy! Save yourselves all the headaches I've had and do your research to find a good company to do your roof.

13th of Jan, 2011

It is very suspicious that on 01/15/09 a Melanie posts the exact same glorifying words about American Exteriors as a Robert on 08/28/2008. I looked at this carefully after reading this post by M.leyva on 10/02/2008 : HOW FUNNY THAT ALL OF THE POSITIVE COMMENTS WERE PLACED ON THE SAME DAY! HMMM, MAKES YOU WONDER!!!

It appears that American Exteriors is having employees post the positive posts. Some of them are so enthusiastic they sound like sales pitches. Beware about trusting this website for honest appraisals of American Exteriors.

• Am
      15th of Apr, 2013

I agree it's very suspicious that after the guy from American roofing come online that all those bogus review abruptly come to an end. We had them work on our house after the storms come through St. Louis, Mo in April of 2012 and they were both unprofessional and the quality of work is horrible. They hire subcontractors of the lowest skill level and really make a mess of things. Don't use them!! I only wish I would have known then what I know know. You can tell how honest they are right here by how the manipulated these boards. Run from AR&E as fast as you can. Now we have to pay someone else to fix what they destroyed. They took our insurance money and us for a ride.