American Reading Club / Such a scam!

American Reading Club in Cumming GA is such a scam. I've tried to cancel my account before and even got a confirmation number but they just recently billed me again. They call me at least once a week telling me that my subscrption is up and I will not be getting anymore phone calls or getting billed but they keep calling. I swear does anyone have any advice on how to deal with these people

Ry

Comments

• Sh
      23rd of Feb, 2007

I am experiencing major problems with them as well. I signed up for Forbes and Rollingstone, I get Maxim and Stuff, 1/2 nude women obn every cover, when I called I was told 'that some men enjoy getting those publications" which is fine...I am a woman, with a little boy in the house. They refuse to cancel and said they will continue to bill me, and if I don't pay the will send it to collections.

• Ka
      21st of Mar, 2007

I have been paying this stupid club for about three months and have not received anything yet. I was wondering how to cancel but it sounds like other people are having trouble canceling.

• Mi
      28th of Sep, 2007

i am also having trouble with american reading club i told them on the phone i could not afford the bill at this time and i was told they would not take it off my card and what did they do they took it off my card so now i am pissed need to fiqure out how to shut them down for good

4th of Oct, 2007

I told ARC that i could not afford them at the rate they gave me and told them to call me back on next week they told me that they had already swiped my card and i told them to cancel it. they said they would but i wonder if i am being scam because my accunt is not pending but they have taken my money out of my account after i told them not to.

• Gr
      23rd of Oct, 2007

I use to work for this company, keyword "used to", If you want to get these guys off your backs, ask to speak to Chris Clement, he may seem like a ### but he will try to help you.

21st of Jan, 2008

i too god scamed by these people. they called me, and at first I liked what I was hearing, until they asked my for my social and the amount of money i made. I told them its none of their business, and tried to cancel right then and their, but they still kept going like i was agreeing with everyting. They first told me it would be 19 dollars a month, than told me that they clump payments, so that it would be 50 dollars a month with my "student discount". I then looked at my account and saw they charged me 79 dollars. After i got off the phone with them, i felt so uncomftorable I looked online to try to see if they were legitimate, instead i found all these complaints. I immediatly called my bank and canceled by debit card. I also got the bank to withdraw the charge they already billed me, and the bank filed a fraud affidavid, and posted a investigation against ARC. after calling their direct number several times to try to cancel my membership, all i got was a stupid answering machine. I tried the 800 number and finally got ahold of them. If you deal with these people, take action as soon as possible. Threated legal action, and tell them that you have been in contact with a lawyer. Also join KEY Bank. They were very helpful; they reimbersed me the eighty dollars I was charged, and they are now starting an investigation against them with the help of better business bureu.

• Co
      18th of Mar, 2008

They are doing the exact same thing to me. But now I'm getting calls every 2 hours all day long every single day. THey told me that I was going to pay $18 a month for 5 magazines and now its $74 a month. They maxed out my credit card and now they keep hounding me about the payments.

• Ka
      23rd of Apr, 2008

I have been paying them for 2 months and they said I have 1 payment to go. They maxed out my credit card and I do not get alot of money. I have not received anything.

1st of May, 2008

WOW!!! I thought it was just me. But not only will they not let you cancel, but they are rude. The Credit Department Manager was very rude to me. Would not let me speak, and used a I don't care attitude. The best thing to do as far as your credit card is to close it and ask your card/bank to issue you another one, so then that way they can't take the money further. But I am still looking for a way to get out of this situation...

• Ra
      13th of May, 2008

I used to work for this company and I can offer you an explanation as to why you are charged on your credit card when you weren't even solicited.

First off, they buy lists of people's names, address, telephone number, and also they obtain their credit card information! This is completely illegal if they keep the credit card information on site instead of having it secured at a third party location. They may tell people that they have access to only the last 4 digits of the card number for "verification purposes" when in reality they are staring at the WHOLE CARD NUMBER! WHOA! Big trouble! And what if the peron looking at the card is a thief and wants to order something offline? Whoa! More trouble! The whole company is totally crooked and they seriously need to be in major investigation by the FBI. If there is any attorney generals or people who want to get together to file a class action lawsuit contact me at ratsnaggle@yahoo.com and I will testify in court!

30th of Jun, 2008

The SAME thing happened to me with "Reading Club of America" from FL (sound familiar??). The stupid phone call was VERY misleading. NEVER AGREE to it if it even remotely sounds fishy. The first time I called to cancel it, I was hung up on. The second time I called, they gave me the same b.s. explanation why we can't cancel it (while yawning between almost every word). After that call I researched it and I found this site, which sounds very familiar to what was happening to me. So then I took action. I called for a third time and of course they gave me the same explanation, but I kept on pressing for them to cancel it while saying that I just CANNOT pay for it. Luckily for me, I was talking to a person with a heart (that person felt sorry for me). So that person canceled my account, gave me a number and everything. Of course I recorded the entire conversation just in case. I hope that person quits for everyone's sake. By the way, the letter they first send to you isn't a binding contract, so you DO have a right to cancel it. Just keep pressing them. I hope you all the best.

30th of Jun, 2008

ALSO, DON'T LET THEM TAKE A PAYMENT FIRST!!!

• To
      14th of Jul, 2008

What is this company's 800 number?

They keep hounding me even though i ask to be on the do not call list. I immediately went online because i suspected identity theft. i found this site and others like it, all bad news.

I also immediately called my bank, got a new card and a new account and transferred all my funds. I'm making sure these ### cant get me.

25th of Jul, 2008

When I called they said that I made a commitment to pay this company for the next several months. Is it true that it's not a binding contract, and that you actually can cancel your account?? I really have no idea what to do if anyone has any advice please help me out

• Dy
      29th of Jul, 2008

I was a victim of the same scam from Reading Club of America in Florida. I found the best way to get out of the agreement is to ask a hear a recording of your oral agreement. It seems that when they hear that they are immediately instructed to cancel everything with no future charges or delinquent account status. I know I DID NOT agree to some of the things they said I did. Ask to hear the recording of yourself and they know they're caught.

• Ta
      30th of Jul, 2008

I'm somewhat relieved to know I'm not the only person in this boat. After several missed calls, I decided to answer the call. Bad thing for me... now I have to dispute the charge they made to my account, which they said I wanted (not!) and get a new debit card. How disgusting. Hopefuly I can get my $85 dollars back. What a rip off. I don't read magazines.

• Ni
      30th of Jul, 2008

So, i just got done working with this people. It all sounded okay...something sketchy...but other wise okay. Anyway, after I got off the phone with them I called my mom to tell her about it. She told me to hurry and call my bank and cancel the card number I gave them..does anyone think that will work? Did I maybe get them in time? Also...I have my entire conversation with them recorded on my phone..and there is a point where I tell them that I have them recorded. You guys want to know something funny...they wont answer my phone calls after I told them that.

1st of Aug, 2008

well all I did was keep calling and asking them to please cancel my account. Tell them you are not under a binding contract and that you were not given information about how to cancel it. If you didn't pay them yet, they shouldn't have a case against you. Just keep asking to please cancel the account; how can I get rid of this; things like that. For my experience I think I was a bit lucky because the person I talked to seemed to feel sorry for me and canceled my account. I hope this helps and don't let this happen to you again by just saying no from the get-go. Good luck!

Question: When I spoke to one of the people on the phone I asked what would happen if I cancelled my credit card that they were billing. The guy mentioned something about reporting me to collections and that I will be charged a fine. Can they really do that or are they just trying to scare me?

My Answer: They can only do that if you signed a contract with them. They probably sent you some kind of letter stating what you "ordered". It should also say that it's NOT a contract. So it's not like you're bound to anything. But if you already made a payment to them, I think that's pretty much like you agreeing to the terms. Even though they say that they recorded you on the phone and whatever, that's not a contract. Just make sure you cancel early on and don't wait until a payment is made or anything like that. Just remember to ask them questions like well I don't want this anymore so how can I cancel this or get rid of it and they'll tell you that they have you confirming it on phone and whatnot, but just say that the phone recording is not a contract so please just cancel my account. They will always mention the phone recording thing, but just keep saying that's not a contract so please cancel my account. I hope this helps you! Good Luck!

• Mi
      7th of Aug, 2008

Its a ripoff i when i told them it sounded like a scam they transferred me to a supervisor and she agreed with everything i said i still had no idea the what the name of the company is so i asked she said reading america so she wanted my credit card info so i said sure give me a second and looked them up online, I found nothing but bad things so i just hung up.PLEASE REMEBER IF SOMEONE ASKED FOR YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER THEY ARE WRONG. Asked them to send you a bill then go forward from there never give your info out over the phone it will always be a scam.

18th of Aug, 2008

So I'm starting to think that they might have cancelled my account as I requested, because they rarely call me anymore and I haven't been billed in the past 2 months. But whats weird is that every few weeks I receive magazines. Just today I received 2 issues of Maxim, which I never even signed up for. Does anyone have any clue what might be going on?? I'm thinking that maybe the magazines that I got were shipped out before the reading club cancelled my subsciption (if they even did) If anyone has any clue please help me out. Thanks.