Posted:

2121 Rosecrans Ave
El Segundo, California
Phone: 310-356-7286
americanmediaonline.com
My 3 partners and I executed a contract with Kevin Lane & America Media Corp. for 1 month of FHA Streamline Leads. Guaranteed 8-10 calls a day, prequalified clients. The cost was $630 upfront and $630 on the closing of our 6th loan. Guaranteed results, apparently he was going to use several methods and media including ads in USA Today to bring the business in. If we didn't close 6 loans we were to be refunded the initial $630 and not responsible to pay the second installment.

We sent the initial payment next day air and Kevin worked on 'our media / graphics, print' that was to be going out. He presented me with the final Ad and one I approved it he told me our phones would be ringing shortly. I waited a week or so because I know things like this take time. After 2 weeks I began calling and emailing... all of which were ignored and never returned. I had a theory that he was essentially trying to get more brokers (and their cash) on board to do one big campaign and then pipe the calls out to the respective clients as they come in. Thing is... 2 months later after numerous calls and emails I have not heard from him nor has my phone been ringing with leads.
I guess it's kind of hard to hit that '6 closed loans' mark when I don't receive a single call. What a puny scam too... I mean come on. I'm in commercial lending as well and I talk to borrower that have been scammed out of tens of thousands of dollars in 'due diligence' fees. If these guys are crooks they are on the low end of the totem pole.
Still I don't like being ripped off. He's lucky I don't live in El Segundo, that's all I'm saying about that. They had to have scammed several people, can we do a class action again them? Don't go crazy on me if I'm wrong about the law, I'm a banker, not a broker. I'm going to try with the BBB and the city... maybe small claims, cause I'm not letting this go. Anyone who wants to join me let me know!!! I get emailed on any reports about this chump.
Complaint comments Comments (29)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Loans

Comments

N  9th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes

American Media Corp - Awful company
americanmediacorp.com

Kevin Lane promised VA home leads of 3-8 per day, wanted $1200 for payment for 1 month, half up front, I negotiated it down to $260, just to be careful...but I was not careful enough. Kevin Lane lied to me on numerous occasions before the check, after he got the check, we never heard from him again and, of course, got ZERO leads.
A  19th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same thing happened to me, same company, same guy (Kevin Lane), he took me for 1/2 of the $1260. This was a month in a half ago. I'm a banker... not a lawyer. Is there any recourse? Can we all go after them in the form of a class action? I have a contract promising a refund of my money if no leads were produced. Feel free to contact me at TimLends@gmail.com.
A  24th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same story here too-Same guy, same scam, cashed our check and now we haven't heard from them.
A  12th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
He stole about 1, 000 dollars from us as well. We have filed a complaint with the Attorney General of WA who is trying to find him as well. We are thinking of filing a lawsuit as well but it may be easier to do with several parties combined. Please let me know if you have any other phone numbers for this guy. We are working with Sean Beary with the Attorney General's office. Please call or email him to piggyback our complaint so they get this guy. Sean's number is 206-464-6948 and email seanb@atg.wa.gov
A  5th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I agree with you about this company being a scam. I signed up to recieve leads for insurance for this company. I have gone through the same process of calling and emailing with no response from this company. I justed filed a complaint agains them with the Better Business Bureau, Washington State Attorney General Office, the Federal Trade Commission, and Consumer Affairs.
N  26th of Sep, 2016 by    0 Votes
this company is now in NJ and sending out scam emails about potential reality tv show production locations, not sure of the entire scam but going by same company. They put a lot of work into their covers, websites, etc.

First off, I am with AMD-TV Productions (http://www.amdtvproduction.com/)
(A division of AMD World News- http://www.amdworldnews.com/ ) and we are currently in the beginning stages of producing for broadcast, a realty TV that is following and highlighting a group of friends that had been close in their youth, then lost touch with one another for 15 years, but now find their way back together and are determined to relive their wild younger years..

They have not finalized the name, but at the moment it is "Second Time Around".
This is typical before all their viewer research data comes through.

Initial shooting is currently projected to begin this winter with the pilot episode projected to air in the summer of 2017.

We are currently reaching out to specific local business for potential use as shoot locations for the program. These locations would be used for our character location shoots and normally takes between 3-5 hours to set up and complete on a given day and shoots can be scheduled after hours in most cases.
The local shoot location will be compensated on a case by case basis and any employee extras used will be compensated as well.

I cannot be more specific than this via email at the moment due to the fluidity of shoot schedules, writer direction changes, the nature of reality TV and confidentiality reasons. Also many of the nitty-gritty details are yet to be determined depending upon business availability, location, series detail changes and so on.

From here we require a preliminary phone call to go over a bit more and I want to ask some questions as well as I mentioned. Let me know what might work for you if this is of interest to you.

Brian Dunn
Production Assignment Coordinator
AMD TV Production
b.dunn@amdtvproduction.com
888-319-6336 x713 (By appointment only please)
N  8th of Dec, 2016 by    +1 Votes
@SPAMFIGHTERS Actually, this post is wrong, the the Production one with Mr Dunn in it is not a scam, and you are mixing up company names. It looks like from your comment “I don’t know what the scam is” that you never called or investigated.

I see where you made your mistake. You forgot the “Distribution” part of their name, and the fact never had offices in CA. Hence, "AMD" not AM. LOL. You only got the first part of the name correct.

Since I got a similar email for a different show I was excited and called, and indeed everything they said was true. They filmed at my restaurant and I have pictures.

Then I did extensive research after speaking with them because we set a time for them to come and shoot.

There is no scam with this Mr Dunn person, your mixing up companies, and here is what I found on them through research.

That is not the same company. The AMD Production one with Brian Dunn is AMD World News and has never changed locations nor names. They are out of NYC and NJ and have never been associated with this American Media corp company.

You are mixing up "American Media" for American Media Distribution., which are two different firms. The AMD one has a pristine 7 year A+ BBB.

There is literally a Wikipedia remark about it because they were mixed up so many times with them.

Don't believe me, check out the "American Media" page clarifying not to mix up the two companies

Look here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Media_(publisher)

Very clear. Maybe some more research should be done before making snap posts. I only say that as I had someone on yelp just blast something out without even visiting my restaurant.

I also looked up your site allegation and I don't see that they ever changed sites in 7 years, so does not look like they are doing any site " work into their covers, websites, etc".

I Did, spoken with them, they didn't sell me anything and used my location for a shoot. then they paid really well for it actually. exactly why they said they would do and everyone was really nice

I did all the research because I thought the same thing, but I took the time to do the research.

Now, I have no idea about this “corp” company out of CA that all the other posts are from, so I am not defending them, only this Mr Dunn email that someone posted without researching because the names are similar.

I put some pics of them filming in my place in the next post. You can see their shirts as well with their AMD on it.
N  8th of Dec, 2016 by    0 Votes
@SPAMFIGHTERS Actually, you are mixing up company names. Mr Dunn has nothing to do with this Corp company he complaints are on here for.

I got the same email and called. I have pictures of the film crew here at my restaurant. There is no scam, your mixing up companies.

That is not the same company. The AMD Production one with Brian Dunn is AMD World News and has never changed locations nor names. I looked them up and did extensive research. They are out of NYC and NJ and have never been associated with this American Media Corp company.

Look here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Media_(publisher)

Very clear. Maybe some more research should be done before making snap posts. I only say that as I had someone on Yelp do the same thing, mix me up for another place and never even came into my restaurant.

I also did a company search that cost me some money and the AMD one has never been associated with a single complaint, scam or lawsuit. They actually don't sell anything to the public. You missed the D in AMD for distribution. their parent company.

I also looked up your site allegation and i don't see that they ever changed sites in 7 years, so does not look like they are doing any site " work into their covers, websites, etc".

I think your best statement was "I don't know what the scam is" because you may have never called. I can see how you made the mistake though.

I Did answer, spoken with them, they didn't sell me anything, then used my location for a shoot. then they paid me for it, exactly why they said they would do..

I did all the research because I thought the same thing and did extensive research.

I have pictures in the post below of them in my place. The moderator of this posting should erase that incorrect comment. Everyone was so very nice to me over there at the AMD company. Again, no idea about AMD Corp, but I know for sure this Mr Dunn production company is clean.

N  8th of Dec, 2016 by    0 Votes
@SPAMFIGHTERS I received the same pitch, how did they scam you with this?
N  9th of Dec, 2016 by    0 Votes
@Michael Moikeha They don't. There is no scam in any way. The only reason the amd production company got listed here is that someone mixed up company names and never research it far enough.
N  8th of Dec, 2016 by    +1 Votes
As per my post above for the Mr Dunn comment only, here are pictures of them filming at my place/. Notice the AMD logos on the shirts.

N  8th of Dec, 2016 by    0 Votes
@Sam Harris Are you saying they are legit or that they do all of this as part of their scam?
N  9th of Dec, 2016 by    0 Votes
@Michael Moikeha NO scam at all. They are totally legit. They paid me 7K per day actually for around 3-4 hours of shooting. Those are actual pictures of them in my place.
N  12th of Jan, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Sam Harris What business were these photos taken at?
N  12th of Jan, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Scam Check I'm doing my own extensive research Sam, just like you recommended. Please help me figure this out by telling me the business name of where these photos were taken and your best estimation of the dates they were on-site shooting video at your property.
N  20th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Scam Check (crickets)
N  18th of Jan, 2017 by    0 Votes
I received same pitch for reality show with the same company. I am based in New Orleans.
N  16th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
@hollywoodhair4u we received the same pitch from a woman, Lisa Adamson, and we are in Charlotte NC. What is the scam exactly? I'm trying to figure out what they are trying to do. Thanks
N  7th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Karen Margaret I just received something similar by Lisa Adamson, and I am… in FRANCE !! I wonder what the scam is, and must admit they try very hard indeed.
N  16th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Karen Margaret After several conversations about shooting at my place of business with Lisa Adamson she offered a chance to do an online ad with AMD. When I turned it down I didn't hear back again.
N  16th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
@pachacroute I think the scam is to sell businesses online commercial ads, at least that is what it seemed after Lisa offered for me to advertise and then after I turned it down I didn't hear back.
A  20th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
Same pitch: "reality tv show, " but then followed by invitation to participate in research project where we're given a choice of free for minimal exposure, $189 for voice over or more $$$ if we'd like more. At this point is turns into a standard sales pitch with references to the quality of their reporters and their stellar (empty) BBB review (with NO reviews on it, merely listed as A+... because it has nor reviews, nor is verified by BBB.

Multiple complaints are on the Web regarding this company always with ONE person miraculously finding the complaints and offering that THEY were completely happy with AMD and referencing the same, empty, BBB report because that all did their research to make sure this was a good company.

@Sam Harris... by all means, let us know the business name. Would love to call the business for their opinion.
@Bob433 SO TRUE!!!
N  16th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Bob433 After I google imaged searched their images it led me not only to where original pictures came from that they stole, but also led me too several there production scam websites.
N  16th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
The address for AMD TV PRODUCTIONS 2275 West County Line RD. Jackson NJ 08527 in google maps is a strip mall with a grocery store, SUPERCUTS and DOLLARE TREE!!! They really are good at making things look legit with website and email addresses.
N  16th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
I googled imaged searched their pictures on website and found same picture on this website for a production company in Houston Texas. http://www.tpcnet.com/

N  16th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
This AMD website pic comes from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Audio_Visual_Institute

N  16th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
This photo from website is credited to darkhorseinstitute, com on https://plexuss.com/news/article/film-internships-to-apply-for
I think AMD is based in UK.

A  1st of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
Im glad I fact checked first...I just got this email today and I felt it was a bit fishy since they do not give the reason for a story. Usually a reporter will give you the name of the story they are wanting you to participate in. I have been contacted several times and many reporters have done pieces on my photography. This sounds fishy to me and I am not going to reply.

I would like to speak to someone regarding an article I am writing.

I am a reporter with AMD Global News, and I am working on a story
called "Local Business Ownership, the Engine that Drives the Dream".

I wanted to speak to someone regarding possibly including you in the
story. It is a "feel good" type of story and it should be some nice
free publicity if we move forward.

To be clear, we are a news firm only, and do not sell any product or
service to the public. This is not any type of sale. I wanted to be
clear about that fact to avoid any confusion.

I would like to se tup an informal initial type of call to go over the
article, the lead reporter bio info, details, release outlets and so
on. It is a bit much to type out.

Lisa Adamson