American Kitchen Corporation / Food Products Containing Propyl Gallate Are Dangerous

1 Review updated:

Propyl Gallate is a preservative, used to prevent fats and oils from spoiling. American Kitchen Corporation uses PG in their soup bases. PG is a known cause of cancer. Everyone knows this. American Kitchen Corporation uses PG in vegetable oil, meat products, potato sticks, and chewing gum, and is often used with BHA and BHT. Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydoxytoluene (BHT) are used to keep fats and oils from going rancid. Used commonly in cereals, chewing gum, vegetable oil and potato chips (and also in some food packaging to preserve freshness), these additives have been proven to cause cancer in rats.
It is a known fact that PG, BHA and BHT are killing people, but American Kitchen Corporation is pretending it is not a problem. Stop the lying! If it is killing rodents and fish and dolphins, it is killing people, too! Review the information and you will see that American Kitchen Corporation is playing Russian roulette with people's lives. These people should be run out of business.

American Kitchen Corporation

Comments

• Ro
      Sep 08, 2010

The problem is that American Kitchen Corporation has reviewed all this data, and is denying that there is a problem. There is no way the toxicity of BHA, BHT and PG is not affecting people from cradle to grave. The food additive scare with formaldehyde was ignored until it was far too late, and now the government and the public are turning a blind eye to this massive poisoning. If you consider that the majority of food in America is microwaved anyway, it is amazing that our HSJ levels are not exploding nationally. I would have trouble not supporting a worthwhile ban on all YHH containing foods in this environment. There should be a cabinet level inquiry about this issue, but the news is saying nothing about it.

• Be
    Best Best Advice

blah, blah. If you think the food is bad because of additives, then don't buy it. stop your stupid complaints.

• Zo
      Sep 09, 2010

American Kitchen is using the Quinoa as an additive in there foods. I am unsure this is from "America." I think I will be choosing a new company. Quinoa is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a member of the grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds. Its leaves are also eaten as a leaf vegetable, much like amaranth, but the commercial availability of quinoa greens is currently limited.

Sep 09, 2010

I just read this article on dangerous food additives. I think American Kitchen Corporation uses these in their foods and I hope they take the time to review this article and my complaint. Here is a few paragraphs from the article and the link to read more is below:

"Dangerous food additives to avoid

Here is a new list with identifying code numbers of the nasty food additives that we should avoid eating. Artificial food preservatives, food colors and flavour enhancers, these are dangerous chemicals added to our food and are known to be linked to Hyperactivity, Attention-Deficit Disorder (ADD), Asthma, Cancer and other medical conditions.
    Where to look for food additives on a product label?

When buying groceries, these additives are listed (if it’s given by the law) on the food product’s packaging under “INGREDIENTS:” or “CONTAINS:” section, usually next to “Nutrition Information” but the code numbers or names of these additives can be printed on in a small font.

In my opinion placement of the text can be somewhat hidden or even misleading. Any dangerous additives added in the food, if the product contains any, really should be listed visibly and labeled on the pack for instance as “Nasty Additives“.
    330 and E330 Citric Acid

How about the Citric Acid E330 or 330? No problem with naturally occurring citric acid. Artificially produced E330 or 330 additive, depending on where or how it is produced with using sulfuric acid, many believe the product might still contain mold and sulfur/sulfites not filtered out completely during the production (Sulfur dioxide and other sulfites (also sulphites) are among food additives in the list below, under H – A, causing asthmatic and allergic reactions.) For most people sulfites are safe, but for example sensitive aspirin allergies or asthma sufferers can react very severely to sulfites..."

In the year 1953 Sir Hans Krebs received Nobel Prize for physiology medicine for discovering that the Citric acid in metabolic reactions acts as part in series of compounds occurring within physiological oxidation of proteins, carbohydrates and fats and turning them into water and Carbon dioxide. Called Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle or known as the Krebs Cycle which is involved in most metabolic reactions, where the Citric acid plays a major role.
    * The world “krebs” translates to English word “cancer” … and that’s what created the misunderstanding that citric acid 330 – e330 causes cancer. But in fact it does not. However, it could melt your teeth if you kept it in your mouth for long or if you consumed soft drinks a lot. It is organic acid used as additive in foods, in soft drinks, in beer, wine or cheese production, citric acid prevents bacteria growth, it gives the citric/sour flavour, bakers use it, citric acid E330 or 330 is often added to cakes, biscuits, soups, all sorts of sauces, frozen packed and canned food
    products, sweets, marmalade’s, ice creams … you can find it mentioned on the packaging."

Any way it goes on and you can print out a table of these additives to post on your fridge...I did, I know I don't want my family to get cancer or ADHD. Here is the link: http://www.traditionaloven.com/articles/122/dangerous-food-additives-to-avoid

Sep 09, 2010

Betterthan, you don't understand the danger of BHA, BHT and the cost of living with elevated UDS levels. Also, the environmental damage from using quinoa as a food stuff is unestimable. American Kitchen Corporation does not realize that if they kill us all off, they won't have any customers for their pre-made french toast sticks or sausage patties. The complacency of people like you is the reason they are able to get away with it.

• Br
      Sep 09, 2010

Not only does the food additives cause ADHD and cancer it also can cause tissue damage and complicate diabetes. This is just ridiculous.

A research team tested eleven different sodas containing high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and found that they each had high levels of carbonyls. Carbonyls are found in the blood of diabetics. They are thought to cause tissue damage, and play a part in complications associated with diabetes. dangerous food ingredients

Test results also show that one can of soda has 5 times as many carbonyls as diabetics have! dangerous food ingredients

High fructose corn syrup is hidden by food and beverage manufacturers under many names. Some of these names are: chicory, inulin, iso glucose, glucose-fructose syrup, and fruit fructose.

American Kitchen Corporation needs to stop putting such harmful substances in their food.

Sep 09, 2010

It was a Saturday afternoon at the restaurant where I work. We served all American Kitchen Corporation frozen foods. It was usually busy on Saturdays and today was no exception. It was also the middle of summer and on this particular Saturday we were very busy, not slammed, but still pretty hectic. It was quite hot in both the restaurant and the kitchen but little did we realise that we were about to get heated up a little more.
    My workmates and I were happily working away in the kitchen when all of a sudden the emergency fire evacuation siren went off. We were all sure this was another test, but our manager came up to us with a serious face and said that we needed to get outside NOW! From the tone of his voice we could tell that this was not a drill.
    In the restaurant all the customers were sitting there looking confused and irritated. Following protocol we shepherded them all outside to the fire evacuation point. As we headed for the exit we passed a running department manager from the supermarket above us. He was yelling on his mobile phone that the smoke was coming from the top floor. While we waited outside for the all-clear, some of our ever so loyal customers decided to take the opportunity to run off without paying the bill.
    After a while our manager informed us that the smoke had not been from a fire. It tuned out that the aortic acid in the french fries had reacted with some cleaning fluid we stored next to them on the floor and they had released a toxic chemical. Someone from American Kitchen Corporation came in and hushed the whole thing up and we haven't heard anything more about it. I can tell you one thing, though...they don't store the french fries next to the cleaning supplies anymore.

• Va
      Sep 09, 2010

RaleighLiz - Very informative. I found this website with some more information on 24 potentially harmful food additives. Here is a little peak to wet your whistle:

There are an overwhelming amount of websites dedicated to harmful additives in food; but many are totally obscured by an obvious bias, making it difficult to make an informed decision about foods to avoid. I am making a list here of additives or ingredients used in the preparation of the food we eat that have been mentioned in a number of different places as being carcinogenic, mutagenic (causes DNA mutations that can potentially cause cancer), or allergenic. Many additives used are colorants. These are the color additives approved by the FDA: FD&C Red #3 (not in cosmetics, external drugs or in lake form – explanation to come later), Citrus Red #2, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Blue #2, FD&C Green #3, Orange B, FD&C Yellow #5, and FD&C Yellow #6

Enjoy.

Sep 09, 2010

RALEIGHLIZ, I AM SURE THAT EVERY ONE OF THE ADDITIVES YOU LISTED ARE USED IN AMERICAN KITCHEN CORPORATION PRODUCTS!!! They don't care who they kill! They just want to make profits. It is much cheaper to make food from ascetalene butanemous than it is to make it from non-GMO food stuffs. FOLLOW THE MONEY!!! If someone is making money selling food, they are going to use as many artificial ingredients as possible, because cheaper food costs less money!

• Zt
      Sep 10, 2010

All of the food that American Kitchen sells as "sugar free" should be labeled as baby killer. Here is why; This sugar substitute, sold commercially as Equal and NutraSweet, was hailed as the savior for dieters who for decades had put up with saccharine's unpleasant after taste. There are quite a few problems with aspartame. The first is phenylketonuria (PKU). One out of 20, 000 babies is born without the ability to metabolize phenylalanine, one of the two amino acids in aspartame. Toxic levels of this substance in the blood can result in mental ###ation. Beyond PKU several scientists believe that aspartame might cause altered brain function and behavior changes in consumers. And many people (though a minuscule fraction) have reported dizziness, headaches, epileptic-like seizures, and menstrual problems after ingesting aspartame.

Avoid aspartame if you are pregnant, suffer from PKU, or think that you experience side affects from using it. If you consume more than a couple of servings a day consider cutting back. And, to be on the safe side, don't give aspartame to infants.

American Kitchen's food is slowly making our infant population sick!

Sep 10, 2010

I have heard that American Kitchen uses alot of products with Olestra. I have done some research and found that this is not at all good. American Kitchen needs to read my review and do something about it. Olestra, the fake fat recently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is both dangerous and unnecessary. Olestra was approved over the objection of dozens of leading scientists.
    The additive may be fat-free but it has a fatal side-effect: it attaches to valuable nutrients and flushes them out of the body. Some of these nutrients -- called carotenoids -- appear to protect us from such diseases as lung cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, and macular degeneration. The Harvard School of Public Health states that "the long-term consumption of olestra snack foods might therefore result in several thousand unnecessary deaths each year from lung and, prostate cancers and heart disease, and hundreds of additional cases of blindness in the elderly due to macular degeneration. Besides contributing to disease, olestra causes diarrhea and other serious gastrointestinal problems, even at low doses."
    FDA certified olestra despite the fact that there are safe low-fat snacks already on the market. There is no evidence to show that olestra will have any significant effect on reducing obesity in America.
    Despite being approved as safe by the FDA, all snacks containing olestra must carry a warning label (similar to one found on cigarettes) that states:
    This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added.
    CSPI advises consumers to avoid all olestra foods, and urges major food manufacturers not to make olestra-containing products.

Sep 10, 2010

Im glad some of you are reading my posts and responding with similar stories about the dangers of food additives.

I've noticed a lot of articles and blogs lately related to harmful additives in the food we eat daily. With a greater cultural push towards healthy living and natural foods why do we let big companies get away with feeding this poison to our children and we can't we completely cut them from our lives as well.

I myself am guilty of this as well. I have already downed a large tea and I am currently sipping on a diet soda flavored heavily with Aspartame. I know this is bad for me but I can't function without caffeine so maybe this is a bigger societal problem at hand...maybe before we can cleanse our bodies and ingest only natural food we need to evaluate the larger societal pressures and issues that lead to the introduction of dangerous additives in our daily lives. We need to live and act healthy as well not just eat healthy.

Anyway companies like American Kitchen and the food and lies they ply us with are just a symbol of a society in crisis. Lets take back our health for the sake of our children. Below I have listed some relevant information on Aspartame and I will start on my end by putting down the diet soda, picking up a bottle of water and taking my kids outside to play. ...

What will you do?????

Diet Products (from http://www.wereyouwondering.com/possible-and-suspected-carcinogens-found-in-food/)

Aspartame, also known as E-951 is an artificial sweetener used in many diet products. Although it is close to 200 times sweeter than sugar, it adds virtually no calories, making it seemingly ideal for dieters. This chemical has been linked to brain tumors and memory loss. Aspartame is made up of 3 ingredients: Aspartic acid (40%), phenylalanine (50%) and methanol (10%). Ingestion of Aspartame increases aspartic acid levels in the blood; higher levels of aspartic acid can lead to the destruction of neurons – neurons don’t grow back; once they are gone, that’s it. Phenylalanine is an amino acid regularly found in the body, but some people suffer from a disorder called PKU; an inability to metabolize phenylalanine. If this disease is not diagnosed early, lethal levels can build up in the brain. For those of you with children, you may remember your newborn having their skin [censored]ed to test their blood for this disease. High levels of phenylalanine have been found in the brains of people who consume aspartame. Methanol is slowly broken down in the small intestine, but if it reaches 30 degrees celsius or higher, it reacts with the chymotripsin to form formaldehyde. In Operation Desert Storm, troops were given ample quanitites of diet sodas that would heat up nicely in the desert, and many reported symptoms that mimic formaldehyde poisoning. In case you are not convinced, here is some more evidence that you might want to avoid this chemical: some American aviation publications have warned pilots off consuming products containing Aspartame do to complaints of seizure like symptoms, blurred vision and blackouts. My own sister in law suffers from epilepsy and has been told by her doctor to avoid Aspartame as it may increase her chances of having a seizure. And finally, 75% of complaints to the FDA regarding health complications from food additives have involved Aspartame. There are many governmental studies that refute the adverse affects of Aspartame, but since there is so much evidence implicating this chemical with health problems, I am not going to take any chances.

Acesulfame-K or Ace-K is an artificial sweetener used in Coke Zero. There have been inadequate studies to conclusively prove this substance is totally safe for human consumption. This additive was approved even though it failed to meet FDA standards.

• Br
      Sep 10, 2010

For the last several years I have been eating nothing but American Kitchen brand foods. It wasn't until recently that I started to notice ever since then I have had sever headaches. On top of that I have suffering from insomnia, depression and hallucinations. I have not been out of bed in weeks, in fact in writing this from my bedroom. I started to do some research on American Kitchen and found that Aspartame is one of the additives they put in a lot of there foods. Here is what I found on that:

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener. It is marketed under the brand names of NutraSweet™ and Equal™. Many people with diabetes use aspartame instead of table sugar.

Where it is found: sugar-free beverages, gum, candy, instant desserts, low-calorie desserts, gelatin, drink mixes, soft drinks, and some brands of chewable vitamin supplements.

Possible side effects: headaches, nausea, depression, rashes, seizures, dizziness, blurred vision, insomnia, ringing in the ears, and hallucinations. Some studies show that it may even cause cancer

Aspartame is made up of three main chemical components:

1. Phenylalanine (40%) – Phenylalanine is an amino acid that is normally found in your brain. It occurs naturally in foods such as asparagus, chickpeas, lentils, walnuts, and soybeans.

The problem with phenylalanine comes in when too much gets into your brain. Too much can cause the serotonin levels in your brain to go down. If your serotonin levels are too low, it can leave you feeling depressed.

2. Aspartic acid (50%) – Aspartic acid is also an amino acid that also occurs naturally in foods such as avocados, asparagus, and oats.

The problem with aspartic acid is that it is an excitatory amino acid (excitotoxin). Too much can lead to a number of serious symptoms and problems including neurological problems. In excess, it can also kill your brain cells!

When you eat or drink items that contain aspartame, your brain gets flooded with phenylalanine and aspartic acid. This flooding can cause serious damage to your brain.

This flooding reaction does not happen when you eat foods that naturally contain phenylalanine and aspartic acid.

3. Methanol (10%) – Methanol is also known as methyl alcohol or wood alcohol. Methanol is poisonous! Without a doubt, it is hazardous to your health.

Methanol is destructive to your brain cells. Even if you take only small amounts from time to time, the effects will add up. Damage will occur.

Toxic levels of methanol can lead to blindness, swelling of your brain, seizures, loss of balance, and other symptoms. The lethal dose is only 2 teaspoons.

If you heat aspartame to 30° Celsius (about 86 ° Fahrenheit) or more, you will get a substance called free methanol. Free methanol further breaks down into formaldehyde. Yes, embalming fluid!

You can find this sweetener in a lot of different foods that get heated up past 30° Celsius at some point or another. Baked goods, gelatin desserts, and hot chocolate are just three examples.

Even if you do not need to bake or heat up a product, it can get heated up by accident if you don't store it properly. This can happen before it even reaches the shelves in the grocery store!

When you think about these dangers, is it really worth the risk?

Sep 10, 2010

If I had a dime for everyone who has complained about the fat substitute, I would be a millionaire. Olestra is as safe as drinking water. The real danger is TYR microtoxins which are not only found in most water-based American Kitchen Corporation foods, but also in toilet water, which is my complaint. How can something which you would never drink, but regularly flush down the toilet, end up in Belgian waffle mix? Understand, these microtoxins do not appear on the food labels (not that anyone looks at those in the case of American Kitchen Corporation, since it is prepared foods sold to restaurants) except that they are called "water" on the label. Water can be many things. It can be straight H2O, or it can be a mix of some parts H2O and a few PPM of H2O2, which is relatively harmless, or it can be laced with TYR microtoxins, which are proven lab rodent killers, and I believe some research has been done at Site 53 on microtoxins. TYR makes the water taste better, makes it go farther, therefore saving money on the manufacturer's water bill (IMAGINE WHAT THEY SPEND AT AMERICAN KITCHEN CORPORATION JUST FOR WATER!!!) and therefore adding to their bloated profits. The only thing is, it is a poison that is slowing elevating our GUI levels to intolerable levels.
    Why has Canada done so much better regulating this, when all the research has been done her in America?

Sep 10, 2010

I read the review for Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. This makes my stomach turn. I know American Kitchen Corporation uses this kind of oil for almost everything. They need to read this and re-think their decisions. If they could switch the oil, the food would taste better and be alot more healthy. You've heard plenty about potentially artery-clogging "trans fats" in the news; on food labels, they're found in "partially hydrogenated" (or just "hydrogenated") vegetable oil and are still used in crackers, baked goods and such restaurant foods as french fries or fried chicken. The case against trans fats is so strong that health departments in New York City and Philadelphia have limited their use in restaurant cooking; and several big food companies are cutting back on trans fats or eliminating them. Anyone with a family history of heart disease should take note and do the same.

• Rk
      Sep 10, 2010

We need to review our nation's food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly that has been hidden from the American Kitchen Corporation consumer with the consent of our government's regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA. Our nation's food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment. We have bigger-breasted chickens, the perfect pork chop, herbicide-resistant soybean seeds, even tomatoes that won't go bad, but we also have new strains of E. coli—the harmful bacteria that causes illness for an estimated 73, 000 Americans annually. We are riddled with widespread obesity, particularly among children, and an epidemic level of diabetes among adults. The complaints from the average consumer must stack up before anything can be done!

A new study out of Harvard shows that even tiny, allowable amounts of a common pesticide class can have dramatic effects on brain chemistry. Organophosphate insecticides (OP’s) are among the most widely used pesticides in the U.S. & have long been known to be particularly toxic for children. This is the first study to examine their effects across a representative population with average levels of exposure. Conclusion :: Kids with above-average pesticide exposures are 2x as likely to have ADHD.

Cancers, autism and neurological disorders are associated with the use of pesticides especially amongst farm workers and their communities.

Sep 10, 2010

Trans fats are nothing compared to HDS additives like Hyrodensis Schreptcocus and Hyrofolatic Demendicus Sadicusitis. These additives will leave you with elevated KJS levels, a sharp drop in JSD hormones, and you'll end up stuck in the bathroom for weeks at a time. If there is a way for American Kitchen Corporation to make a buck, they will do it. They use the eyebrows of rendered ponies to make an HDS paste, which they then add to water in such small quantities that they don't have to list it on the ingredients. That makes the water go a lot further, since they are essentially "cutting' the water, an expensive ingredient if you consider the sheer volume of business that American Kitchen Corporation does. They are saving tons and tons of water every year by adding HDS paste to their water-based soups, salad dressings and avocado-based dipping sauces. I compare this to the Spanish-American war, when the buying public simply did not speak the language, so they didn't understand what was going on over there.
    Americans need to stand up for what Canadians have long believed about dangerous food additives, and which people who someday hope to become Americans have already believed since long before they ever set foot in this great nation, although the future is not as bright as it used to be, with this economy, plus the food additives that are slowly killing all of us. EVERYONE DIES SOMEDAY!!! WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! Don't let it happen to you!

• Rk
      Sep 10, 2010

Chlorpyrifos, made by Dow Chemical Co., is one of the most widely used organophosphate insecticides by American Kitchen Corporation.

For years, millions of pounds of the chemical insecticide were used in schools, homes, day care centers and public housing, and studies show that children were often exposed to enormously high doses. Just as the EPA was ready to ban the product, which analysts said would have damaged Dow's overseas sales, the company "voluntarily" removed it from the home market. Yet, with few exceptions, the agricultural uses continued.

The EPA's Web site is a review in contradictions when it comes to chlorpyrifos.

At one section, it "acknowledged the special susceptibility and sensitivity of children to developmental and neurological effects from exposure to chlorpyrifos."

But in another section, the agency reports that infants and children face no risk from eating food crops treated with chlorpyrifos. However, the agency doesn't say how it reached that conclusion. There is no agreement among complaints of how much of the neurotoxin is too much.

Sep 10, 2010

The most dangerous insecticides are being used in the foodstuffs that go into American Kitchen Corporation products. Insecticides may affect the nervous system, inhibit essential enzymes, or prevent larvae from maturing (e.g., juvenile hormone). Some are stomach poisons, some inhalation poisons, and others contact poisons. Agents such as inert oils act mechanically, simply blocking the breathing pores. Insecticides vary widely not only in effectiveness against target insects (which may develop resistance) but also in toxicity to nontarget species (including humans) and environmental effects; many of the worst (e.g., DDT) have been banned or their use curtailed. DDT is illegal, but again, Canada took the lead, first banning it completely, then insisting that products be clearly labeled if they contain large amounts of DDT. We need to stop letting food makers profit from their products, and these cereal abuses would end.

Sep 11, 2010

Rosie, you are a scare-mongerer. Did you know that if you gargle a tablespoon of lemon juice, and while you are still holding it in your mouth, you inhale the air from a newly opened bag of American Kitchen Corporation potatoe chips, then blow out while leaning in front of the exhaust pipe of a car with a catalytic converter, it will create a fireball that will shoot out five feet behind the car? Think of what that sodium nitrite is doing to your lower intestines if it has that kind of power!!! Don't think it is American Kitchen Corporation's fault, either, because I have tried the same thing with a bag of BBQ flavor Kettle Chips from American Grocery Food Corporation and it just sparked. It scared me to death.
    I have been a chemist for nearly 40 years, and let me tell you: if there were no chemicals in American food, we would might be living a lot longer, but we would all die of starvation in no time.

Sep 13, 2010

I think some of you are going off on Tangents that are a little too "intense" for my liking, but I do think that RKenner makes some good valid points. A lot of the substances that we are complaining about are very common in food that is ingested everyday by ordinary people. Why is the FDA allowing this to happen if American Kitchen corporation and other companies are just passing off deadly chemicals to our children in the guise of yummy treats?!? and on our end...why do we keep buying it?!? What can be done? We can't just complain that our food is killing us. We need to Stop eating the food that is making us sick and live healthier lifestyles and then maybe we will start to see improved life expectancies for our children ...

Sep 14, 2010

I love my new kitchen. American Kitchen Corporation gave me an excellent deal, an excellent contractor, and a beautiful kitchen. I have told at least a thousand people how happy I have been with my experience. My family has spent ten times more time in the kitchen now that it is clean and beautiful. My old kitchen was so outdated. I highly, highly recommend them.

• Zo
      Sep 17, 2010

American Kitchen Corporation contains MSG.
    MSG, or monosodium glutamate, is a chemical additive commonly used by the food industry as a “flavor enhancer”. MSG is an extremely potent chemical stimulator with no substitute on the horizon. It has been used by the food industry and in many food types since it was first commercialized in Japan in 1909.

Chemically speaking, MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid (thus, the name monosodium glutamate).

Glutamic acid was first isolated from gluten (wheat) and it was discovered as “the essence” of the tastiness of great soups prepared in Japan.

In addition to MSG, there are other flavor enhancers use by the food industry such as disodium 5’-inosinate (IMP) and disodium 5’-guanylate (GMP).

American Kitchen Corporation uses MSG for a flavor enhancer. A flavor enhancer is a substance that is added to a food to supplement or enhance its original taste or flavor. Another term commonly used for substances such as MSG is that of flavor potentiator.

American Kitchen Corporation uses MSG around the globe in soups and broths, sauces, gravies, and flavoring and spice blends. MSG is also present in a variety of processed foods such as canned and frozen meats, fish, poultry, vegetables, and ready-to-eat food plates, dressings, ketchup, mayonnaise, soy sauce, sausages, snacks, some processed cheeses, soup powders for instant noodles, etc.

MSG usage is sometimes “hidden” in food labels under different names. If you see “natural flavorings”, “hydrolyzed protein” and “spices” in a food label you are probably seeing a hidden way to “report” MSG in a food label, so be aware of the presence of MSG on foods that you thought were MSG free.

In the American Kitchen Corporation food, MSG is included in the GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) list of food ingredients by the US Food and Drug Administration along with salt, pepper, sugar, and vinegar. The Scientific Committee of the European Union also recognizes MSG as safe and in Japan MSG is a food additive allowed to be used with no limitation. However, in 1968 some people reported having “symptoms of burning, numbness, and a tight sensation in the upper part of the body“ after having had a meal at a Chinese restaurant (Kwok, 1968). This was called the Chinese Restaurant Syndrome (CRS). Immediately CRS was suggested to be associated with MSG consumption but no conclusive data was found to prove that there were immediate side effects.

MSG is an excitotoxin, which basically means, a chemical substance that excite your neurons (brain cells) and that may cause its death. Blaylock proposes that excitotoxins, like MSG, may aggravate many neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. MSG (and exitotoxins) side effects may include seizures, brain cell and damage, allergies, rashes, asthma attacks, headaches, and brain tumors.

American Kitchen Corporation's food is harmfully in so many ways.

Sep 19, 2010

Amercian Kitchen Corporation does not CONTAIN MSG, you muttonhead. Most of their food contains monosodium glutonate, but American Kitchen itself does not contain MSG. They import the MSG on ships from Malaysia. Of course American Kitchen Corporation uses the oldest ships ever made, so they are full of leaks. Korea will not allow American Kitchen Corporation ships in their waters because their leaking MSG has been known to kill millions of ocean salmon and harbor doves. Imagine it does to people with blocked arthroscopic alignments.
    Eat good food people, and deep water trout, from which MSG is harvested, would be safe. The only reason American Kitchen Corporation is killing us slowly is that we are demanding that they do it by buying their French Toast Sticks and Strawberry Lime BBQ sauce mixes. If you only shopped at whole food stores - avoid Poison Pete's Pumkin Patch - their wheat germ is not really organic - you will find you spend less time in the bathroom and you won't need toilet paper. If a person eats well, toilet paper is not necessary - I never use any - unless I get some phony organic food, which leaves a stain. That's how I can tell, and I always explain how I know in my complaint.

• Ki
      Sep 22, 2010

• Ki
      Sep 22, 2010

I just saw the link to the site is not the right one, that link seems to be a kitchen remodeling site and not the food company these complains are about.

Sep 24, 2010

The Average Person Consumes more than four pounds of food additives each year. Yet I am amazed at how little most people know about them. Read this review, it has some great information in it. American Kitchen Corporation needs to read this too.
    Having earned my doctorate in nutrition and working as a professor of nutrition at Pacific Western University in Los Angeles, I've learned that, whether you realize it or not, additives can profoundly affect your health.
    Food additives perform many valuable functions like increasing flavor, adding extra minerals or other nutrients, and ###ing spoilage. They may be naturally occurring food substances like vinegar (acetic acid) or chemical concoctions like BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole). Some additives are worthwhile, such as preservatives that prevent harmful bacterial growth. But you should not assume that additives--even natural ones--are always safe. In fact, food manufacturers used coumarin, a fragrant substance from the tonka bean, as a flavoring for nearly 75 years before they discovered that it caused liver damage.
    Most food additives go through extensive safety testing before the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves them for human consumption, but some additives have avoided this scrutiny. In 1958, the FDA compiled a list of generally recognized as safe (GRAS) additives that weren't required to undergo testing--and every additive in use before that year made it onto this list. Although the government later removed some dangerous substances from the GRAS list, many additives of questionable safety still remain.
    I consider the following seven commonly used additives worthy of your attention; they all sit on the GRAS list. But even though the government considers them safe, they have been linked to asthma and other allergic reactions, kidney and liver damage, high cholesterol, neurological disorders, sterility, and other health problems--even when consumed in small amounts. Little research has looked at their long-term health effects, so when you consume these additives, you're becoming an unwitting guinea pig.
    How do you protect yourself? Read product labels and avoid foods that contain these seven additives if at all possible. I know it will take work to weed out these risky additives because they're so widely used, but your health is worth it.
    1. Acacia Gum
    Also Known As: Gum arabic. Similar vegetable gums, with the same possible adverse effects, are carrageenan, gum tragacanth, and carob or locust bean gum.
    Prime Product Sources: This thickening agent is found in chewing gum, chewy and hard candies, and frostings. Carrageenan and gum tragacanth commonly appear in ice cream, jellies, sherbets, and salad dressings, and carob or locust bean gum is often used in baked goods, beverages, gelatin desserts, and ice cream.
    Possible Adverse Effects: Mild to severe asthma attacks and rashes. May cause abnormal embryo development.
    Who's at Highest Risk: People who have asthma or allergies. Women who are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or nursing.
    2. Alginic Acid
    Also Known As: Algin gum and algin derivatives. Similar compounds, with the same possible adverse effects, are ammonium alginate, sodium alginate, and propylene glycol alginate.
    Prime Product Sources: Alginic acid and other alginates, used to maintain the texture of packaged foods and drinks, commonly appear in beverages, cheeses and cheese spreads, frozen custards, fruit sherbet, ice cream, ice milk, icings, and salad dressings.
    Possible Adverse Effects: Reproductive problems and birth defects; has caused maternal and fetal deaths in animals.
    Who's at Highest Risk: Women who are pregnant, trying to conceive, or nursing.
    3. Benzoic Acid
    Also Known As: Sodium benzoate, the salt of benzoic acid, has the same possible adverse effects.
    Prime Product Sources: These preservatives commonly appear in baked goods, barbecue sauce, beer, candy, chewing gum, fruit juices, ice cream, icings, jams, jellies, maraschino cherries, margarine, pickles, and soft drinks.
    Possible Adverse Effects: May cause gastrointestinal irritation, asthma attacks, rashes, itching, and irritation of the eyes and mucous membranes, especially in people allergic to aspirin. May also cause neurological disorders and hyperactivity in children. Increases the liver's workload if consumed with the amino acid glycine, found in protein-rich foods, dietary supplements, and antacids.
    Who's at Highest Risk: People sensitive to aspirin. Children. Anyone with cirrhosis, hepatitis, or other liver ailments should consult a physician before consuming products containing benzoic acid or sodium benzoate.
    4. BHA and BHT
    Also Known As: Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT).
    Prime Product Sources: These preservatives are found in baked goods, beverages, breakfast cereals, candy, chewing gum, dry mixes for desserts and beverages, enriched rice, freeze-dried meats, gelatin, ice cream, instant potato flakes, lard, shortenings, soup bases, and unsmoked dry sausage.
    Possible Adverse Effects: Elevated cholesterol, allergic reactions (like asthma), liver damage, kidney damage, infertility, behavioral problems, vitamin D deficiency, a weakened immune system, and increased susceptibility to cancer-causing substances.

Oct 01, 2010

American Kitchen Corporation needs to read this review about food coloring. You may think that all dangerous artificial food colorings were banned by the FDA long ago, but there are five still on the market that are linked with cancer in animal testing. "Always opt for the product without the color, if you have a choice, " says Gerbstadt. "I'm not saying to avoid all coloring. Many are made from natural sources. But some specific dye colors do promote tumor formation, in the right combination and conditions." Blue 1 and 2, found in beverages, candy, baked goods and pet food, are considered low risk but have been linked to cancer in mice. Red 3, used to dye cherries, fruit cocktail, candy, and baked goods, has been shown to cause thyroid tumors in rats. Green 3, added to candy and beverages, though rarely used, has been linked to bladder cancer. Studies have linked the widely used yellow 6—added to beverages, sausage, gelatin, baked goods, and candy—to tumors of the adrenal gland and kidney.

• St
      Mar 24, 2012

This additive is sold under the names Equal® or NutraSweet®. There are thousands of everyday products that contain aspartame. To name a few, yogurt, sodas, pudding, tabletop sugar substitutes, chewing gum. For its approval we have to thank the Searle Company for falsifying reports, and unscrupulous attorneys for delaying legal proceedings. Once the statute of limitations ran out and the product was once again up for review, many discrepancies came to light between reported versus actual findings.

Consumers lodge complaints about NutraSweet®, to the tune of "80% of all complaints about food additives, " but Betty Martini reported that the FDA has yet to move on any of them. In spite of this inaction by the FDA, there are indications that this "sweetener" is toxic. According to Ms. Martini, in a report from Flying Safety, an official United States Air Force publication, US Air Force pilots were warned not to consume Aspartame in any amounts at all. Why? "Aspartame has been investigated as a possible cause of brain tumors, mental ###ation, birth defects, epilepsy, Parkinson's Disease, Fibromyalgia, and Diabetes." And the FDA has made no move to regulate this toxic substance.