American Income Life - Mathew Henderson Agency / Bogus job interview offer

1101 W. Hibiscus Blvd, Melbourne, FL 32901, Melbourne, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 321-549-0829

Would you repeat the name of the company again please? Matthew Henderson Agency. Only
the most vague description of what I was to interview for was given.

I received a phone call in response to my resume posting on Monster.com by a man named 'Edward' pitching a Customer
Service/Sales position with no "Cold Calling" and that involved "Labor Union Members." An interview was set up for the next day at a location not far from my home. Having been raised in this area, I am familiar with most major companies but had never heard of the Mathew Henderson Agency. Something about the call didn't seem right as the representative was talking rather fast
and seemed to be in a hurry to get on to his next call. I decided to do some research online about the business, whose name I realized very quickly during the research, was not in any way connected to American Income Life Insurance Company during the phone call. After completing my research, and finding out that this business was, in fact, connected with the insurance company I tried to do the professional thing and cancel my interview so that another interested candidate could take advantage of the time allotted. The representative's phone answering system was full, of course, and the local agent/business hung up on me. As with others scammed by this insurance agent, my advice to job seekers out there is to do your research... thoroughly! DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS and ask representatives to repeat information given rapidly over the phone. Unfortunately many of the opportunities today really are misleading or outright scams... and when something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts!

Ro
Mar 19, 2014

Comments

• Ro
      29th of Mar, 2014

Completely agree!

• Na
      22nd of May, 2017

@RonaldD Hi! This also happened to my mom! A man named "Edward" left her a voicemail and when she called back he gave her the same run around. He claimed to be in Florida looking at her resume (we were suspicious right then). I tried checking online for the company in SC but could not find any record. He told us the building that my mom was going to for the job interview did not have company name just number; right then I knew something was up and decided to investigate to make sure this wasn't a scam. Thanks for putting up your experience! If you had not, we would probably have thought nothing of the whole thing.

• Gu
      16th of Mar, 2015

recieved a call from a man who identified himself on voicemail, as "Edward" from Robinson and Associates which stated they found my resume on careerbuilder (which I rarely use) Very unprofessional voice mail, had to replay several times to see what he was saying. The message says he found my resume on careerbuilder which I very rarely use. He said to call him back at 407-574-4670. I called him, and it definitely seemed to be his cell phone # and not an office #. He said I had called or applied for a job position, to which I informed him I was merely returning HIS call, and never applied for a position with Henderson & Assoc. Then he said he found my resume on monster, to which I reminded him that on his vmail, he stated it was on careerbuilder. He proceeded to say that since I live in the Daytona Beach area, he will schedule an interview at 444 Seabreeze Blve, suite 750 32118 in Daytona Beach. He said the location is in the 5th 3rd bank building, 2nd story, 7th floor. I found this interesting, since my resume does not list Daytona area or any area, and all job positions I apply for, are for the tampa area. I questioned this, and he said we can schedule you an interview in tampa this week instead. He said they are hiring all over. A quick google of his exact address with suite #, came up with this:Mayfield & Ogle PA - Yellow Pages search.floridatoday.com/...//566282-Mayfield-Ogle-P-A-?...444+Seabree...Mayfield & Ogle P.A.. Phone: 386-253-2500 444 Seabreeze Blvd Ste 750. Daytona Beach, FL 32118. I phoned this company and spoke with the receptionist who confirmed this was the correct name of company, however, they switched suites about 2 years ago. I asked is she knew who currently occupying suite 750? She stated she is not sure, and suggested to call the property manager and obtain that information. I left a voice mail with the property manager who has not returned my call yet. I questioned him about the position, and he stated it is a commission job only, and they provide a list of clientele so we don't have to find our own. He further stated that they work with labor union members, providing benefits. I asked if there was travel involved, he said about 15%. A quick glassdoor lookup by name Henderson & Assoc provided a company statement, but had absolutely not a single review, which is extremely rare, for glassdoor. Here is what I found on youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xptmWRvwJpo --funny, they never mentioned it was a life insurance company on the phone.
    Tobacco Trial Lawyers' Association TTLA Roster
    1) FLORIDA. Norwood "Woody" Wilner. Wilner Block PA 3127 Atlantic Blvd Ste 3 ...
    444 Seabreeze Boulevard. Suite 750. Daytona Beach FL 32118. And,
    2) Mayfield & Ogle P.A.. Phone: 386-253-2500 444 Seabreeze Blvd Ste 750. Daytona Beach, FL 32118
    further digging provided: Matt Henderson & Associates Reviews & Info Matt Henderson & Associates is an insurance agency that maintains an office in Altamonte Springs, FL.110 W Orange St Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
    321-277-7612
    Matt Henderson & Associates Reviews & Info
    Brokers that work at Matt Henderson & Associates
    Contact:
    110 W Orange St
    Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
    321-277-7612
    youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xptmWRvwJpo
    http://www.glassdoor.com/job-listing/benefits-representative-JV_IC1154247_KO0, 23_IE190050.htm?jl=1366274252&paoIdKey=MA==
    the company also has a Fb page called Henderson Agency. seems to be a legit person who moved up in the ranks with AIL (American Income Life) insurance co. And now hires people under him, but seems he is an employee of this company.
    http://www.pissedconsumer.com/company/american-income-life/american-income-life-is-a-scam-20081011139009.html (interesting read, so apparently not a scam, but sounds like you may be out a bunch of money, and possibly work very long days on comission only)

• Bw
      3rd of May, 2017

I have worked for the American Income Life office in Daytona Beach for 18 months now. Often times companies need to rely on recruiting companies to help sift through the thousands of job seekers. These are 3rd party companies and unfortunately they don't always do the job the way it should be done. However, most companies like ours, appreciate feed back when these types of situations take place

Here are some facts that I have experienced in the last 18 months:
    Facts:
    YES- You do have to work hard, especially in the beginning (Best things in life don't come easy) but if you have good time management and consistently work on mastering your job, you will find you will eventually be working smarter not harder and will be working less and less hours. Unless of course you want to earn even more and choose to keep the hours.

YES- They provides leads and of course the best thing you can do for yourself is get referrals to give yourself even more leads. Everyone knows the best business is word of mouth business. So why wouldn't you want to increase YOUR business.

YES - it does require a State License. Almost every professional job requires one (Barber, Contractor, Doctor, Lawyer, Plumber...)

YES- You can make way above average income but it is up to you to get out there and do the work. They provide you the tools and the training it's up to you to use them.

• Ec
      13th of Jul, 2017

I also received a call from "Edward" as well as a " Nancy Miller", who is never in the office. I spoke with Edward who informed me on July 6 at 7:36 a.m. MT that they recruit for local healthcare and unionized healthcare facilities. I stated I was not interested in that particular type of employment and to please remove me from their database. Edward stated on July 6, "it will take 24 - 48 hours to have that completed, I have made notes in our system." While on the phone with Edward "Nancy Miller" calls in and leaves a voicemail.

This morning, July 13, I receive a call from a private number and "Nancy Miller" again leaves me another voicemail. I immediately called back and requested to speak with her and guess who answers the phone and says Nancy is not in the office. That's right! Edward. I asked him about his prior affirmation of removing me from the call list and placing notes in the database. He immediately became defensive and refused to allow me to speak. He amended his original statement to say that he has no control on what resumes are contacted on Monster, Indeed, Beyond, Career Builder and the like. To my disdain, he went further and had the audacity to tell me if I did not want to be contacted to make my resume "private" thereby preventing any true potential employers from seeing my credentials. He continued on and on without professionalism to the point that I told him I would not argue or speak over him and hung up.

My question is, has anyone contacted BBB or an attorney regarding the continued harassment?
    Edward can be reached at 321.473.5040.

• Ne
      19th of Jul, 2017

So many people want to use job boards like Career Builder and don't realize they agree to the Terms and Conditions
    for them to use your data, information, and resume to sale to companies. Same thing with Facebook when they sale advertising.

Its often the people "like in the previous statements" that have entitlement issues, that don't get it, and are not good listeners they hear what they want to hear make up bogus statements and lies. Just because a position is not a good fit for them, it maybe just what someone else was looking for.

These people that have enough time and energy to come on here post negative comments, are more than likely confrontational human beings and disgruntled in some way. Stop pointing the finger at other people and learn to hold yourself accountable.

• Bj
      4th of Apr, 2018

In my opinion, any company that has to be vague or dishonest in order to recruit new blood is not an organization anybody needs to be a part of. I received a similar campaign pledge, from "Amanda" and "Victoria" (727-260-5134). They didn't even have the decency to wait for an answer; instead they called from a restricted number and did something to trigger only have a ring before going straight to voicemail. If you call me and don't even want to invest the time into talking to me, then I don't want to talk to you.
    Scam or not, it's just not good business.