American Host Motel / UNREASONABLE AND UNPROFESSIONAL SERVICE

1 4143 POLK RDHart, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 231-873-1855

My 7yr old son and I made reservations for Friday, July 25 and Saturday, July 26 at the Budget Host roughly around 10 pm on 7/25, and although we had confirmed both nights of our stay, he appologized that in error didn't infact have a room for the second night, leaving us in a terrible position as it was a weekend in a heavy tourist area.

Our room, room 43 was exceptionally small with very minimal amenities, and because it was the last room available, was directly over their living quarters. I didn't think anything at all of it, until an hour into our stay the owner's wife came up to complain in a rather rude manner that my son was walking too hard on the floor and ask that I make him "tip toe"

I considered this somewhat unreasonable, as he was the only child in the room, and may not have been tip toeing, but certainly within what anyone with would consider normal. I apologized and told them that he would be in bed shortly. At about 12:20 am my son woke up crying because of a bad dream and said he missed home. I was working at putting him back to bed, but within literally 5 minutes the owner was banging on the door and got quite personal when he told me that I didn't know how to properly sooth my son and literally asked me what kind of mother I was. He went so far as to say that his daughter in law was in jail because her mother didn't properly tend to her when she was younger. Now I know this sounds exaggerated and obsurd, but he even went so far as to tell me he is ready to call the police. I assure you that I have never in my life seen anything like it. I told him that they were not allowing us reasonable use of this room and said that perhaps they should make this an adult only hotel or let guest know exactly what they expect when they stay above the owners, he at that point told me that he would credit my visa if we would leave because they live right below us and work "ungodly hours", I agreed and when I noticed the charge still posted and called he told me that his wife would not allow the refund.

Ch

Comments

3rd of Aug, 2008

This is so hard to believe!! We have stayed at this motel several times - as have our family and friends - usually with children in tow. We have stayed many places in our travels around the world and across the U.S. and have never found a cleaner, better kept place than this. The owners/hosts are some of the most helpful, agreeable, congenial people we have ever met. I found this person's diatribe(s) on many search engines when I looked the motel up because of their name change. We will certainly be staying there again and will continue to recommend it to others. There must be another side to this story!!

JT

7th of Aug, 2008

The comment made by the above is clearly the owner, it would be much easier to run your business professionally than have to search out and comment on every negative review!!!

• Pd
      9th of Aug, 2008

We stayed at this motel 8/6-8/8/08. Our experience is consistent with Janice Tower. We read the complaint before we made the reservation and stayed there in spite of it. We would not hesitate to stay there again. The owners were very acommodating the place was clean and well cared for.

It would be interesting to hear the owner's version of this complaint.

• De
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    American Host Motel - Terrible experience
    American Host Motel
    americanhostmotel.com

My 7yr old son and I made reservations for Friday, July 25 and Saturday, July 26 at the Budget Host, now American Host in Hart, Michigan to visit the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. We checked in roughly around 10 pm on 7/25, and although we had confirmed both nights of our stay, he apologized that in error didn't in fact have a room for the second night, leaving us in a terrible position as it was a weekend in a heavy tourist area.

I considered this somewhat unreasonable, as he was the only child in the room, and may not have been tip toeing, but certainly within what anyone with would consider normal. I apologized and told them that he would be in bed shortly. At about 12:20 am my son woke up crying because of a bad dream and said he missed home. I was working at putting him back to bed, but within literally 5 minutes the owner was banging on the door and got quite personal when he told me that I didn't know how to properly sooth my son and literally asked me what kind of mother I was. He went so far as to say that his daughter in law was in jail because her mother didn't properly tend to her when she was younger. Now I know this sounds exaggerated and absurd, but he even went so far as to tell me he is ready to call the police. I assure you that I have never in my life seen anything like it. I told him that they were not allowing us reasonable use of this room and said that perhaps they should make this an adult only hotel or let guest know exactly what they expect when they stay above the owners, he at that point told me that he would credit my visa if we would leave because they live right below us and work "ungodly hours", I agreed and when I noticed the charge still posted and called he told me that his wife would not allow the refund.

Short of selling this business to professionals and finding a profession they are more suited for for the sake of many families vacations, I should be refunded in full and well as get a sincere apology.

• Dl
      3rd of Jun, 2016

Im sorry to say that neither is going to happen if it hasnt happend yet.