American Homes / Poor customer service

Our final building contract was presented to us at closing. We had gone over everything in detail with the sales person and was assured that everything we wanted was correct, even after asking some questions about some of the product codes we did not understand. Because this is our first home and we were literally getting ready to sign our loan, we did not take the contract home to review it. Big mistake, lesson learned. The biggest disappointment/issue is when we went to get the problems corrected. I saved every email from the sales person that verified the exact details of what we requested and supposedly ordered. I was told that it was still my fault because I signed the agreement, even with the email documentation. We eventually had to contact a lawyer and still settled for products that we did not want in our home. Being a modular home, we were repeatedly reminded by the owner of the company, Steve Solomon, that we basically purchased a glorified mobile home. The sales person was fired over our issues, but we continued to be blamed by the owner of the company for the mistakes. Again, even with the countless emails that clearly stated in black and white, what we wanted.

This company will be extremely approachable and appear consumer-friendly right up until the point that you start discovering problems. I never complain about anything and even now I have a hard time writing this because I know things can always be worse. But the treatment and custmoer service that we have received from American Homes has greatly shadowed any excitement and joy that we should have with building our first home.

I cant promote or recommend any other companies out there, but I can say with 110% certainty that you DO NOT want to go with this company. Shop around, read reviews and do your homework. This company is as crooked as they come.

Od

Comments

• Jb
      25th of Nov, 2012

We too experienced poor customer service and even outright lies and deceptive business practices. We too did not receive the product we were assured we would receive and were also blamed by the owner for his company's mistakes and shortcomings. It was a fight and struggle every step of the way to ensure our new home ended up even remotely the way we wanted it.

They claim to be builders, but they are not! They will recommend Lent Brothers Excavating as their premier foundation builder; this is a lie as this builder will sub out all of their work. Additionally, there were many mistakes made with the foundation and the finish looks terrible. The owner of American Homes, Steve Solomon, refused to get involved and said all problems with their recommended builders was not his problem and refused to visit the site to understand our concerns and problems.

There were too many problems to list here, but here is one example. Steve Solomon even accused us of delaying the project and threatened to charge us interest, all because we were demanding that they fix a defective A/C system. It was only after we contacted the BBB and reported the possible illegal and deceptive threat did they recant the threat and repair the defective A/C system.

We will never purchase another home with this company or their builder, and we have not, or will we ever, recommend them to anyone.