American Home Shield / beware

In December of 2007 I purchased a home in Henderson, Nevada, and paid an additional $600.00 for the home warranty by American Home Shield.

I purchased the so called "INSURANCE" because I was buying an older home. Upon going through the house, I noticed water damage: the roof had leaked during a recent rain, something I did not know was going to happen. I called the realtor I went through to buy the house, and asked about how to file a claim as I had not received anything from American Home Shield. She was shocked to learn they had not sent anything in line of policy information. So she contacted them to have them contact me. No one contacted me. Under my policy, the roof, the electrical, heating, air conditioner, water heater, all major appliances are covered as well as all plumbing issues are covered, or so I thought.

I never heard anything nor did I receive anything, as a result I shelled out $7500.00 to have the roof replaced, a roof that is covered under my policy. So I think all is well and I go to move a few things in and stay there over night. The outlet in the bathroom was hot.. Turns out the electrical/wiring needed to be redone. So once again I called to get the information on the policy, again nothing, so there goes $2500.00 out of my pocket to fix the electrical issues. All this was in January of 2008.

Then the locks jammed. A third call goes to try to get policy and contract information. Once again nothing, so that was yet more money, $700.00 to fix all the locks on house. THEN a plumbing issue came up, I FINALLY got a hold of someone from the American Home Shield. What happened was when I was doing a small load of laundry my mother went to use the bathroom and water backed up into the toilets, bath tubs, and in the laundry room, so I am telling the gal this, and I tell her, I am still in California, being unable to move into the home due to all of these issues and would not be in town until a few days later, and this is the beginning of May! I also inform her that at this time I had STILL not received any sort of policy related information. She sent the plumber out that day, and I received a nasty message on my voice mail from him asking why the ***
did I call for service if I had no plan to be present. I called back and tried to explain that the phone operator from American Home Shield knew that I was not there and I apologized for him being sent out like that. He snapped at me that he would have the receptionist call me back on Monday to schedule an appointment. The lady did call Monday, and was very rude, so I just scheduled for the Thursday coming up. I get to Henderson on Wednesday evening, and wake up early Thursday morning, even though the "TECHNICIAN" was not going to be there until noon. Noon rolls around, no show... so I call around 12:30 and they call the technician and he claims he called my cell phone to say he was running late but in truth, he never called because I used my cell phone to call them. SO I got mad and said why he didn’t leave a message, this is unprofessional on his part. So them I am told he is on his way and he will show in 5-10 minutes. 45 minutes go by, again nothing, so by this time I am furious and I call the plumbing company to cancel the appointment because my time may not be precious to them, but it is to me. So I am outside having a smoke when I call, and they claim the guy was at the end of the street when I called. SO I just blew up. I said really, my house IS at the end of the street and considering I was outdoors when I called and did not see him. I was basically called a liar by the company and they hung up on me.

So I called American Home Shield and basically told them that so far this policy has not paid for itself and that I refuse to deal with a company that treats their clients with so much disrespect. To this day, the middle of June, the plumbing issue has not been fixed, yet I am being charged a $50.00 service fee when their guy did not even show up! And I have been told that unless I PAY the fee, additional fees will be added. Here it is June, and I am just now moving into a home I purchased in December of 2007, and because of American Home Shields failure to provide policy information, I am out over $10, 000.00 on repairs that are covered under the policy I purchased. Look into your options, there are other companies out there that provide the same coverage's for sometimes less money and they are considerably more reliable.

Va

Comments

• Br
      18th of Mar, 2009

i have tried for two summers to get my a/c replaced and no luck the fix it just enough and the tech tells us not to call unless it stops running all together, but we live in arizona nad it gets very, very hot.but to ahs as long as it it blowing even if it is barely cool air to them it is working.the tech basically told us that ahs will not put a new unit on our house and i have paid them enough money over the years i could have bought a new unit. i am going to cancel my ahs today. i think i have been ripped off long enough. brenda jones arizona

• To
      5th of Feb, 2010

Hi! So sorry you all have had problems with your warranty. I am a realtor and provide warranties to my clients for free so I pay out of my pocket for the coverage. As a realtor, it is our responsibility to follow up with the warranty company when there is a problem. Realtors have more strength as we sell many warranties and can switch companies at the snap of our fingers. Hopefully, none of these issues will happen to any homes I have sold. Many people I have spoken to have told me that AHS was easy to deal with except one exception. There was a realtor who bought AHS for her client, the client had a A/C problem and they would not put freeon (SP?) in as they told them that it is not in their policy. The realtor involved called other warranty companies to see if that was part of their program and when she presented to AHS that all warranties covers freeon service, AHS came out and fixed the problem. Sorry to ramble but many times, your realtor should be involved to a certain point to help as we do have more strength as a group.

• Cf
      13th of Aug, 2018

I am rather upset with AHS. Been a customer for 12 years. Water Heater (Gas) is not functioning properly. Have called AHS about six times, they say call back tomorrow. That is a p*** Off factor. Every time I call I get another rep from Phillapines or somewhere else in the world. They speak extreme bad english. Wonder what would happen if spoke polish to them? I am besides myself. I would like to rant and rave so much more but what good would come of that?

Read reviews including the class action lawsuits against AHS.