American Historic Society / Coin rip off!

American Historic Society

Signed up for a free coin offer and they put me in a coin club, after receiving my first coin club coin and retuning it for a refund, three months later I have yet to get refunded, and here is the good part the phone number has been changed or disconnected. My bank cant do anything because it was a authorized charge.

Va

Comments

• Li
      20th of Nov, 2007

The same thing happened to me. They put me in three clubs and I was only aware of one. I called them in July to cancel all of my subscriptions that I supposedly signed up for and sent everything back to them. I still haven't been refunded a dime. I got the same "out of service" message when I tried to call them recently.

• Ts
      20th of Mar, 2008

Here's my two cents - I received a letter last week from "The American Historic Society" that more or less apologized for not yet charging me for a set of coins I had supposedly ordered 08/06/07; I've checked all my receipts, and wish lists, and cannot find any such order, or receipt. In their letter, they state that the Order Number was EAA0 (Edward Alpha Alpha Zero), and the Product Description was "Eagle 4 Coin Collection", for a total of $99.00. I can't see ordering 4 2007 American Silver Eagles that late in the year, and it was certainly too early to pre-order the 2008 coins (which I did later order five of, from a Littleton Coin Co.).

So - what the frick?? I've read through a few of these comments, and it appears that AHS is a fly-by-night outfit...here's the latest info they provided when they wrote me - oh, letter is dated March 6, 2008:

The American Historical Society
    Providing Exceptional Values in Fine Silver and Collectible Coins for Over 35 Years (for whom - themselves??)
    889 Waverly Avenue
    Holtsville, NY 11742
    Customer Service Questions?
    Call 1-800-815-0268 M-F
    8am to 6pm Central Time (in New York??)

Good luck, folks, and pass this on to others you're aware of being in the same situation(s). Also, please let me know what your experience was - I'm going to call them now to find out what kind of yarn they're going to give me...imagine - forgetting to charge $100 for over five months??

• De
      6th of May, 2008

Was deployed and have not recieved my coins. Did not recieve a notice that the company went bankrupt. Any idea on how to get coins or refund would be nice.

9th of Jun, 2008

June 9, 2008
    I also have paid for 5 sets of the colorized quarters from the American Historic Society. I have received the five sets through 2006. I placed a call on April 6, 2007 t0 a toll free number 800-835-9195 to get my five (5) sets for 2006.
    I Have NOT received the five (5) sets for 2007 which I should have received in February 2008. One (1) set is under customer # 23368327 and the other four (4) sets are under customer # 23827157. I have tried to call the toll free to 800-835-9195 and it is no longer in service. i then call the area code 800 opertaor and there is no listing for the National Consumer Marketing (NCM Fulfillment Cent 889 Waverly Avenue Holtsville, NY 11742 ) at this address there is another company at this address. My question is how do I find out how to receive the remaining two years that is owed me as they were paid for in 2004.

• El
      7th of Jul, 2008

I was wondering if the 2007 colorized quarters have been released yet to be added to my collection. I think my account number is:
    764540449 HS. Please let me know status of my account with you and if I have been charged for the 2007 coins. Thank you.

• El
      10th of Jul, 2008

My account #2325853 . I haven't received 2007 colorized quarters yet. They were released on 1/20/08. Could you please send my next shipment for my account. Shipment should contain the 2007 Colorized quarters. Thank you.

• Da
      14th of Jul, 2008

Yup, I guess there is some weird comfort in numbers - so many folks nationwide saddled with what can turn out to be hundreds of incomplete colorized quarter and other coin collections... add me as another trusting (foolish?) Southern California customer who only wants to complete the final 2 years (07 and 08). '07 released in early '08, huh? All contact #'s seem to be invalid. These guys took the $$ alright and apparently lots of it... is there going to be any criminal investigation, inasmuch as they did business through over state lines and in virtually every state? Should there be a conviction or 3, I would find solace in the fact all of our as-yet undelivered coins will be spent in their prison bank... I understand a quarter goes a long way in a penitentiary, colorized or otherwise.

I don't expect our $ will be returned, but we should collectively DEMAND they honor and fulfill ALL of the original contracts. Has anyone in NY filed a legal complaint yet? AHS robbers, gimmee my 10 colorized quarters, damn it!

PS: If anyone 'out there' knows of another REPUTABLE company that can help me complete my little collection, I so would appreciate the information... gracias.

• Be
      28th of Jul, 2008

I'm right there with you ... I only want my colorized quarters for 2007 and 2008. If a lawsuit gets filed, count me in... I want to be part of it. If anyone finds a reputable source of these colorized quarters, please me know.
    Thanks.

3rd of Nov, 2008

Same thing happened to me. I ordered the coins as a package starting in 20o4 paid for them by credit card.

I always had to call them about the shipment which was always late.

I tried several times to contact them recently but all numbers I have are disconnected.

What a way to run a business. A reak scam.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has filed a complaint with the BBB of New York?

Thanks

30th of Mar, 2009

Carol Marvel I did the same thing paid for the complete collection got a letter saying I would recieve each year by febuary of the next year. I have got all but the last 5 of them what going on I just want to finish my collection and not get ripped off by this company. The address of where I got mine from is 31166 Via Colinas, Westlake Village, CA 91362 and if anyone does start a lawsuit count me in too. Thank you to all of you that has complained I am glad to join you against these people who just want to rip us off.

30th of Mar, 2009

Already sent comment.

• Sg
      20th of Apr, 2009

On behalf of my friend, Andrzey Gabrus, it seems as though he too has been scammed by the American Historical Society. He never received the last of his set of colored quarters either. I tried to call the company, and was directed to an address in Westlake Village, Ca. After sending them a letter, it was returned to my friend as undeliverable with no forwarding address. If anything is being done to try to recover the losses, please count my friend in!

26th of Oct, 2009

I also paid for the complete set of colorized quarters for my grandson. He received 1999 and 2000. He never received 2001-2008. I ordered them in Sept. 2001 .
    American Historic Society 11949 Sherman Road North Hollywood Ca. 91605. The cust service # was 818-502-4324 I called and it was disconnected after my grandson didn't receive the next set of coins. I you know of anyway we can get a hold of them to get our coins please let me know.
    Thanks, Carolyn Evans

• Jm
      24th of Nov, 2009

In the property of my 90+ year old father is a collection of various items from the American Historic Society (which should not be confused with the apparently legitimate American Historical Society). Three impressively mounted replicas are classified under "America's Most Beautiful Gold Coins" and are probably of little or no value. There is also a large display case of gold colored coins, also probably worthless. My father has an Alzheimer's type dementia. I'm certain that he was scammed by this organization. There is a website, http://americanhistoricsociety.com/, with their current products.
    According to them, they can be contacted at anytime by email at customerservice@americanhistoricsociety.com. They also give a mailing address:
    American Historic Society
    889 Waverly Ave
    Holtsville, NY 11742
    that is not the same as those listed in the comments above. I've written emails to them to ask for the value of some of the items in my father's collection. So far I've had no response.

• 1o
      18th of Feb, 2010

Today I received a box--a rather large box--, with a lot of paper-work and advertisements. It also included an invoice, that stated "This is NOT an Invoice", that..."No payment is required."
    It said that: " No payment is required. This amount has been charged to your credit card." WELL there was NO coin in it! It was supposed to be, 1 1 oz. .999 silver Buffalo Round.
    No Shipping and Handling/Insurance
    No sale tax
    Just two (2) problems. #1, I DO NOT remember ordering anything from you...let alone giving out my credit card number!
    And #2, I DID NOT RECEIVE ANY SILVER COIN!
    This better not be on my credit card.
    My Customer No. is: 103589 dated Februaury 12, 2010
    I would not mind having a .999 silver Buffalo ( not just because I live on Buffalo in Albuquerque).
    Please get ahold of me, as I will call my credit card company NOW!
    Sincerely,
    David Koester

• Ph
      10th of Feb, 2015

"Free American Silver Eagle" Thank you everyone for taking the time to inform the public -- I received a coupon from them via snail mail and now know to stay away from them. If this helps, I just received this coupon offer from them in the mail -- here is their updated phone, ect, as of 2015: 1-800-219-1151 Address is: American Historic Society 889 Waverly Ave., Holtsville, NY 11742

12th of Jan, 2016

i just called the number on small post card i received a few weeks ago for the free morgan dollar. i know a little about the value of coins and was skeptical about there not being a website listed on the card and the "free" coin. Wasn't aware they claim to be located in suffolk, east of me. of course there was nobody to answer the phone - it's 1:40am est - but i wanted to hear the company's name. the msg. sounded very official so i googled them and found so many complaints. At the/link removed/ there was something like 38 complaints about them. my question is why nobody has yet report them to the BBB or FTC and why you can't have your bank do a charge-back? i;ve done this before whether authorizing the original purchase or not. i have chase banking of which they're co-operation in these matters is a bit surprising considering they're reputed to be one of the head banksters in existence today. For those of you that may still be getting charged; call your bank and tell them you lost your debit/credit card a while ago ( lie if you have to - they do all the time-:). Have them issue you a new card. The thieves can't bill u for anything again. next time use a reloadable debit card that u buy in various stores.