[Resolved] American Furniture Warehouse / poor quality furniture and customer service

1 Thornton, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 303-555-5555

American Furniture Warehouse sells defective furniture and lacks Customer Service.
Here is how the story goes.
My husband and I purchased a black desk from AFW. We brought the desk home and there was a big chunk missing from the hutch. We went back down that night to exchange it out. We returned home with another hutch. When we opened it it was again broken. The next day we went back. The return department brought down another desk that was in shambles. They then got another desk in which there were staples in all of the wood when I showed the guy he said oops and then told me that they did not have any more desks. I said I needed the floor model because I needed it ASAP yet again this piece had chips missing from it. I returned the whole desk set and recieved a 50.00 credit. I put my money back into AFW and got a completely different desk and actually spent more money. We got the desk home and the top hutch was broken. I informed customer service that I needed a new one delivered to me as I have already made 4 trips and she said that I would have to pay 50.00. I called Corporate the next day and spoke with Laura. Laura was completely rude she informed me that I am never satisfied. I told her it is because I am recieving broken furniture that I have paid full price for. I explained that I did not feel that I should have to pay for the delivery. She proceeded to say is that all I want is money and credits and even if I recive that I will still not be satisfied. I informed her that I am not asking for money just the delivery and she said that then they cant pay their delivery driver if they are waving the fee. She marked our profile as a crohnic complainer and said that she would get it delivered however if it was delivered damaged we were not allowed to return it at all!!! We have to keep it damaged.! In addition she said that if we complained any more she would come out and have the remainder of the desk taken from our home. We have bought and paid for this desk and she can not threaten us with this. I informed her that if the top hutch was broken we would be taking the entire thing back for a refund and they would lose our business and she said that they are not losing any business.
AFW does not stand behind their product or care about their customers. They only care that they control the furniture market and what they can get from our pockets. Please be aware of what you buy from there.. I strongly suggest opening your product before you leave and having them repackage it for you. Do not worry about the line or the inconvience because they do not care about YOU!

• Resolution statement

• Megan,

In reading your complaint, I would like to apologize for what you have discribed as your "purchase experience". May I ask you to please contact me in hopes of resolution? Rob Naish 303-727-3103 my phone line direct or please feel free to email me at rnaish@afwonline.com

Rob Naish
    American Furniture Warehouse

Comments

• Ow
      17th of Jan, 2013

Unfortunately, Ms Scott is correct. There customer service sucks and they do not stand behind their products. There return policy is something called reality based. At this point, I am neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with the company. I bought my furniture around January 8 and my media cabinet which seemed to be of decent quality had a major defect and was falling apart. It has not been hit or mistreated in anyway yet customer service seems to believe that I did something wrong. My son kept telling me do not open the boxes until you have a video camera running so that it shows that there was no damage to the box so there should be no damage to the furniture - I thought he was being paranoid (I guess he had the last laugh). I do want to point out that the sales person was somewhat decent because she took the time to educate me on the quality of the furniture. When I inquired about the return policy this is what I got.

Thank you for your interest in American Furniture Warehouse. Since each situation is different and there are many variables that may be involved, we do have a “reality based” return policy. That is, we want to evaluate each situation individually to determine what is fair and reasonable in the particular case. American Furniture Warehouse strives to do it right the first time, by having you consider all of the possible variables before making a purchase. We have pre-printed promotional materials available for you to take home and we also offer a free design service, having one of our sales associates come to your home to help you find the right fit, look, and style for each room. As well, we have a “Room Planner” program available online and in store to help you determine if the merchandise will be a good fit for your room (http://www.afwonline.com/roomplanner.asp) and extensive product information available so that you may make an informed buying decision in regards to the products you are considering
    (http://www.afwonline.com/customer-service/furniture-information-tags.asp). However, if you do find it necessary to return an item that you purchased, we ask you contact our customer service department to discuss your situation so that we may look into the possible options for you.

And my experience was that they make it impossible to return items. I have bought from them several times and I always noticed that the stuff was of cheaper quality (meaning damaged or falling apart in someway - I always fixed it myself and brought it to their attention telling them that part of the problem is that the warehouse workers mistreat the furniture but the company doesn't really care so I moved on. So do your research.

• Be
      8th of Feb, 2013

I agree with the comments on this page. I was so discouraged on 2/7/2013. I was at American furniture in Grand Junction, Colorado. I found a chair-side table that would go with my furniture at home. It was hard to find someone that would help me and then when I did the sales person acted like it was an inconvenience. The salesman that did help me rang up my purchase and told me it was going to be about 10 minutes to get my item. I had to walk to a different counter to get a pager. The employee there told me it was going to be approximately 10 minutes because they are not real busy. I had my 5 year old and 2 year old grand children with me. They were getting bored and restless. I waited for 27 minutes, went up to the cashier to get my money back. She was snotty and rude. I said that I was told I would have to wait 10 minutes, I wanted my money back and that I was very disappointed in the service. The cashier told me “Well, you don’t have to be here.” So, I asked for a manager. That was a big mistake because the manager was just as rude. She told me that I had only been waiting 20 minutes. This is not true at all. According to my receipt from the time I was refunded my money was 29 minutes. I will not shop at this place again. I was going to go there and get a new dining room set and a bed for my grandchildren when I received my taxes. My money will not be spent there.