American Furniture Warehouse / racial discrimination and bad customer service

I recently bought a table set from American Furniture Warehouse.

I had to drive to a different store to pick it up because they did not have it in Aurora. I went to the mega store in Englewood and they mistreated my table as they were bringing it out to me. Not only that, an employee walked by me and made imitations of Chinese noises like I could not speak English.

When I called to see if I could come in to talk to a supervisor, they highly discouraged me from coming in and try to wave me off with a 30 dollar in store credit. I then took my time to drive all the way to Thorton and speak to the customer service manager and she was hostile and extremely rude. She did not even seem to be concerned that racism was a big issue and she tried to turn the issue on my by trying to blame me for coming in for revenge when I did not even mention about what happened to the employee. Then she proceeded to raise her voice at me and swore at me. I could not believe that the CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER swore at me! I am and will continue to do everything in my power to spread the word to the entire world about American Furniture Warehouse and how they are racist and they discriminate and their managers swear at customers and are extremely unhelpful. They made the situation ten times worse. All I wanted was for them to actually show truly heartfelt concern and realize the severity of the situation and I did not get that at all. The manager didn't even apologize to me once during our conversation, not until right before i left with a new stool (because after I bought the table, it was cracked in half when I brought it home and so was a stool), because then she probably realized what she had just done and was trying to make up for it by being nice. I cannot believe such a company is being run in such a way. If they don't take action for racism and see it as an everyday complaint, I don't even want to know what they do with other situations. As I can see in the other complaints, it seems as though they don't care about their customers and if they don't care enough to want their business, well then they will have NO business at all. The nerve of those people to make me feel like I did something wrong, they have no idea what they have messed with. It is the 21st century, racism is NOT ok. It is a very important matter and I can't believe a business like AFW would just brush it away like it was nothing. I hope Jake Jabs knows what kind of company he's been building.

Comments

• St
      14th of Jul, 2008

i completly agree had a very similar issuue with the cust service manager!!

• Zi
      12th of Mar, 2009

I completely agree their Customer Service is by far ridiculous. If you ever speak to any of the following people BEWARE... try to record your conversation and then call Tom Martino.

Tonya---------- Complete jerk and rude. You are pretty much screwed after talking to this one.
    Shanna Marie-----------Knows everything because she has been in the furniture business forever. (WHATEVER!!)

Rick... DICK!!!

Gary another piece of work!!!

BUYERS PLEASE BEWARE. IAM SHOCKED THAT JAKE DOES NOT TAKE ACTION ON THESE PEOPLE. HE SHOULD HAVE SOMEONE ANONYMOUSLY CALL AND SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO DEAL WITH!!!

• Po
      17th of Jul, 2009

Please read my friend's story with an American TV store in St. Louis.

My friend recently purchased a car radio from American TV and Furniture in Cottleville, MO, which is a suburb of St. Peters, Missouri just outside of St. Louis.
    She then returned to buy some speakers, an amplifier and 12' subwoofers.
    When she purchased the car radio, she used her debit card and the transaction went through without a hitch and the salesperson was very friendly and helpful,
    When my friend returned a few days later to buy the speakers, amplifier and subwoofers, she wrote a check from a different account and the salesperson that she had purchased the radio from was off that day.
    When my friend wrote the check, the salesperson said that the check was declined.
    Since the check was over a thousand dollars, it needed a manager's approval.
    The salesperson told my friend that she would get the check approved by her manager and that she could pick up her merchandise at the Customer Pick Up.
    My friend proceeded to the Customer Pick Up to get her merchandise and the POLICE WERE THERE!
    One older cop who was very disrespectful to my friend, asked her WHY she was in Cottleville purchasing anything, as if she didn't have the right to shop and go where she pleased.
    He then gave her a ticket for "Theft By Deceit" and accused her of trying to pass a bad check.
    My friend had more than enough funds in her account to cover the check and all American TV and Furniture had to do is call the bank to verify that the funds were available.
    Instead, they called the police and humiliated my friend.
    My friend immediately called her attorney and needless to say, she's suing.
    I have worked retail for over a decade. In the case a check is declined by the check verification company such as Telecheck or Equifax, then you get a manager's approval who calls the bank to verify the check, or you give the customer a postcard where they can contact Telecheck or Equifax and find out why the check was declined.
    Since the check was over a thousand dollars, it needed a manager's approval anyway. But instead of calling the bank, the manager called the police.
    THIS WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED IF MY FRIEND WERE A MIDDLE AGED WHITE WOMAN.
    THE MANAGER WOULD HAVE NEVER ASSUMED THE WHITE WOMAN WAS TRYING TO PASS A BAD CHECK AND WOULD HAVE FOLLOWED STANDARD BUSINESS PROCEDURE AND CALLED THE BANK TO VERIFY THE FUNDS WERE AVAILABLE OR HE WOULD HAVE ASKED FOR ANOTHER METHOD OF PAYMENT.
    THEY WOULD HAVE NEVER HUMILIATED A WHITE PERSON LIKE THIS BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT A WHITE PERSON WOULD NOT HAVE PUT UP WITH SUCH TREATMENT AND ALL HELL WOULD BREAK LOOSE.
    WELL, GUESS WHAT? ALL HELL IS GOING TO BREAK LOOSE.
    IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED ANY TREATMENT FROM AMERICAN TV AND FURNITURE STORES THAT EVEN HINTS AT RACIAL DISCRIMINATION, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT UPWARDMOBILITY2003@YAHOO.COM.
    WE NEED TO PUT THE SAME TYPE OF HEAT ON THE MANAGEMENT OF AMERICAN TV AND FURNITURE THAT THE OWNERS OF THE DAY CAMP IN PHILADELPHIA DID TO THE SWIM CLUB.
    THIS IS THE AGE OF OBAMA AND WE WILL NOT TOLERATE ANY RACISM IN ANY FORM.

• On
      2nd of Apr, 2010

If you think that customers are treaded this way and rude, disrespectfully and discrimination. try working there... It's just as bad. You almost have to be blonde hair, blue eyed, white male to get anything there. Latino women being harrassed, male managers having sex with female employees at work, gay and lesbian employees being called "###" and nothing being done.
    I was called as an employee by managers a "###in ###" so many times it was accepted. Don't even get me going with the managers changing employees hours in the time clocks to keep them from having over time.
    Jake has no idea what is going on in his company, it is being run by uneducated, mindless males who run things on there own agenda. The best way were told to get rid of an employee we don't want, random drug test...