American Fresh Ducts / Waste of time and money

I responded to American Fresh Ducts ad in a mailer for a $75 "Duct Package." They "open, agitate & vacuum the entire duct work under negative pressure." Consisted of 1 man who looked at the job while man #2 did all they work. They hooked up a large vacuum to one duct in kitchen, while using a small canister vacuum to do the rest of the registers. I do that every time I vacuum a room! The main man's job seemed to be to talk me into additional work.

They turned on the heater (it was in July and heater hadn't been on for months). He asked if I smelled anything and I said no. He explained it was very bad-the smell of burnt dust. He came in the room to show me dust on his finger and said the furnace desperately needed cleaning, which would be an additional $500. When I said no, he then said I should have an electrostatic filter for $95 or all of the work would be in vain. He was extremely pushy. He also tried to talk me into having a cleaner applied to ducts for another $100 or so.

I feel like such an idiot for falling for this scam.

Va

Comments

• Te
      5th of Jun, 2009

I have just had exactly same service and absolutely agree with you! I almost had verbal argument with the guy who was pushing so hard. And I have same feeling as you: scammed.

• We
      20th of Aug, 2009

thank you for your comments. It is very helpful.

16th of Oct, 2009

I just had them came to do the job. Exactly like what you described. Only one guy is doing the work, and the other is just selling more service and product. He kept complaining how bad your furnace is. Does not even know what he is talking about. Bad service.

• Gn
      5th of Nov, 2009

AFD is a ripoff.

AFD came yesterday, $70 vent cleaning special.

AFD looked at the furnace in the garage and said that it probably hasn't been cleaned in 10 years. I followed him around as he reached into the furnace and pulled out some grey stuff. (I was with him the whole time, so I'm sure he didn't plant it.) The guy thought it was a fire hazard and said there was mold in it. He said he didn't think it was safe to run the furnace. They charge $475 to take apart and sanitize the furnace. I asked him if that is a normal price, and he said we should expect to pay $450-850.

I just made an appointment with a service I found on the internet.

They will come tomorrow at 230pm and they quoted $150 for a furnace cleaning.

I also called Coit and they quoted $295, but they are really booked up.

Incidentally, we bought a UV light from AFD for $1000 for our condo. Air Duct Cleaners usually charges $300. We've been robbed!
    -g

• Do
      9th of Feb, 2010

I used the $75 coupon for vent cleaning including dryer vents. It was supposed to include all vents, but only a few showed signs of being opened. They used a small vacuum.

The salesman that came with the guy with the vacuum cleaner harrassed me about the furnace continually. He went out to see it by himself then came back to call me to see it. I'd just had the furnace checked less than 2 months before by an HVAC company. The furnace looked fine then, though he cleaned it a bit. The HVAC guy said the filter wouldn't need to be changed for a new months. Well, when the guy from Fresh Ducts showed me the furnace, the filter was completely black and badly wrinkled. He offered me a filter for $100 (I later bought a highest grade Filtrete for less than 1/3 that price). He told me I was risking the lives of everyone in the house. The furnace needed to be cleaned under high water pressure?!? then sanitized. I said no but he continued to harrass me. I called his office to report him and they called him back. That shut him up for about 5 minutes then he was back to harrassing me. Well, after they left, I noticed that the vents hadn't been cleaned. A week later the register in the family room fell because they put it back so poorly. The grates on 3 of the registers were bent. The salesman had forced the cover to the furnace on wrong so it was bent. When I turned the furnace on again it wouldn't come on. He'd blown the fuse for the furnace. Possibly a coincidence? It had been working when they came. This is a scam company.

• Pr
      15th of Jun, 2010

Everthing was the same as the others happened to me. In 2008 I had it all done to my house. I was first time home buyer so I wanted the best. What I got was a $1232.03 ripoff. I will know better next time These people are great ripoff artists.