American Freight / typical bait and switch sales tactics

United States Review updated:
American Freight - http://americanfreight.us/

Typical bait and switch sales tactics with lots of grief and aggravation thrown in for good measure. Also, our experience echoes that of many others I've read here. We were sent a flyer with nice looking, seemingly cheap furniture--every poor person's dream. The bedroom sets looked great and the prices quite reasonable, so we made the 45 minute drive to the store. Once there, I saw that these bedroom sets were made of cheap press board with a fake laminate. I should have known better. We were immediately directed toward more expensive, more presentable stuff. Even the most of the more expensive sets had substandard, press board backings and fake wood laminate. I thought to myself that I'd just as soon go to Walmart if I wanted furniture of that caliber. The sales clerk also pointed us toward a set that had a cracked headboard and was scratched up, for over $600. However, I did find one set for more than I intended on paying because it was one of the few I could afford that was made of solid wood. The 'free mattress' advertised in the flyer they use to get people's ### in the store with that came with the set was about 3 inches thick--not enough for my cat to sleep comfortably--so I decided to hold on to my old one and they could keep it. Most of the bedroom sets I saw in the flyer and on the web site weren't even available at the store, either, and there was a limited selection of what was available in our price range.

To make a long story short, I paid for the more expensive set and was told they'd have to order it and it would be available in 4 weeks time. Fine. They'd call when everything came in to set up a delivery date. 4 weeks came and went and I got no call, so I inquired and they told me that that set was 'discontinued' after being put on hold so long I had to call back (how nice of them to let me know in a timely manner) and we could come in to pick another set out that was in stock. He said we could get a set for $100 more, which I acknowledged and appreciated. I found a set that was more expensive, but made with the same cheap materials as the others I looked at. A refund, they said, was out of the question. So I took that set, which was not really what I wanted, but better than a blank. I also want to add that this stuff is highly overpriced for the quality of materials that go into making it. I couldn't afford the other night stand, since they wanted $200 for it.

The day they delivered the set they told us that the chest was all 'scratched' up and a new one would be ordered once again. So that took another week of waiting. I was told it would be delivered on that Thursday and we waited until 11 p.m. They never showed. The next day it was delivered, with no explanation or apology as to why they didn't bring it when they said they would. Reading some of the stories here, I feel fortunate to have even gotten all the furniture at all. I can't see how this place manages to stay in business, so aggravating was the shopping experience. I would never buy furniture from them again.
Va

Comments

Ta
  22nd of Mar, 2008
We purchased a king size matress set from American Freight in Evansville Indiana. They told us the matress had a 10 yr warranty agianst sagging, dipping and overall condition basically how well it would hold up! Guess what we have had it for 3 yrs and it has already fallen apart! It is sagging so bad you can even see the sag with a comforter on it! We called them wanting a replacement and they told us the mattress had to be stain free in order for the warranty to work for us! Well i am not sure what a stain has to do with anything because i thought it was a crime for a store to resale a used matress! In addition there were no ifs and or buts when we bought the matress and now that something is wrong they will not back their product at all The salesman was rude, nasty and overall cocky and wanted nothing to do with replaceing this matress! The matress was discolored in the dips mainly from sleeping in the gaps So much for honesty! What is bad is the saleman guanteed us this matress would not sag! Buyer warning do not let this happen to you or you will also be out $1500.00
Ch
  30th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
The reason they wanted to know if there are any stains on the mattress is because it is a sign of negligence. I own a mattress from american freight and I absolutely love it!
Ki
  3rd of Jun, 2009
Did you pee the bed?
Maybe you should have used a mattress pad.
  4th of Mar, 2010
President and CEO, Steve Belford. Mansfield, OH. Phone #- 419-884-6178
  4th of Mar, 2010
To kiwi and amy rfreeman, you guys are stupid...Kiwi you sound like a rude ###. I agree with Tara, you idiots probably work for american freight since you like em so much. Maybe you should go eff em. You would probably like that though wouldn't you????
Gu
  6th of May, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
The comments stated above, for the majority, are poorly written. I can't be convinced of actions by American Freight due to not being able to understand the comments left by illierate individuals. Does the mattress have a Manufacture's warranty? Yes. When you buy a poorly built toy from Wal-Mart, is it Wal-Marts fault? No. Strange.

I'm done here.

I'm going to sign the "Eff" off
Thanks
Ba
  18th of May, 2011
On April 22nd, 2011, I complete all of my payments (totaling 213.00) that were required to obtain my furniture (American Freight stock item: Collin Futon item# 5290COCM)from their lay-a-way. On that day, the sales representative informed me there was an item in stock and I could come and pick it up the same day. When I returned, later that evening to pick up the item, one of the deliverers rolled out the furniture and prepared to load it into the vehicle. Before he could finish loading, the sales representative informed that I would not be able to take the item home because someone else paid for that exact item and there were "technically" none in stock. One of the previous employees who finalized the sale with another customer did not update the system correctly, resulting in a false expectation of their business obligation towards the consumer. Upon the information she relayed to me. I left without my purchased item. I called that same day to see if there was any alternative we could seek in order to retrieve the item from an alternate store or when an order would be placed to get the item in stock at their location. She then advised I had 30 days to wait in order to see if they would get the item on a truck delivery. I have waited 4 weeks and they have not made an attempt to call to keep me updated. I, then, visited the facility on May 4th only to find out the item was still not in stock and they had no idea when a truck would deliver. As of May 17th, I called to receive a reimbursement. The representative who answered the phone advised me that the manager will call me later. The manager never called. I called back May 18th and spoke with an assistant manager and he only advised that someone else will call me. I have not received my item nor a refund. I've been more than patience and inconvenienced due to their unethical business practices.

So... I've been inconvenienced. I'm a college student who worked hard to come up with the money to purchase the item and in the long run was stiffed. I did report to BBB though.
Lo
  29th of Jan, 2012
My husband and I just purchased a living room suit, end tables and 2 lamps from american freight. They saleswoman told us that our furniture would be delivered the same day.It is 8:57P.M. haven't seen any furniture. We had been waiting since 2:00 P.M. I had called the store twice and asked about my furniture. All I was told was the drivers are on the truck and they hung up immediately. I feel like they could have called and let us know that they couldn't deliver it today or whatever the reason. I ads are false. People like this shouldn't be allowed to do business like this and treat people like this. We threw away our old furniture because we believed them when they said it would be delivered the same day. I will never buy anything else from them again and I will not advise anyone else to buy from them. I should had went with my gut feeling when I first there. Something just didn't seem right about the customer service. No one was really friendly.

American Freight Logo American Freight