American Express / cancellation of cards

1 Upland, CA, United States Review updated:

Hi,

I hope someone can give me contacts (people), addresses and telephone numbers to resolve my problem and re-instate my cards.

On Tuesday, October 28, 2008. I received a call from my accounts manager (never knew I even had one) at American Express asking why $56, 000 had been run through my merchant account machine my companies' Platinum Card.

I explained that I had a customer in the Bahamas whose card that would not work (to pay for a printing job) and that I swiped my own card to see if my machine was broken. I know a "REALLY DUMB" thing to do... and I did it 3 times) ANOTHER DUMB THING... but you can see I am telling the TRUTH... and I thought I was putting in $18.00 NOT $18, 000. So I told the guy, "Hey I'm sorry, won't do it again, it was a mistake"! So he says well isn't not that simple.. "this is fraud (none of the swipes went through), and it's a serious violation and ALL your cards are CANCELLED.

He further went on to say, that the CANCELLATION of ALL my cards will be reported to ALL CREDIT Reporting Agencies (Closed Due to Fraud) which will lower your FICO score, and upon review we may ask ALL OUTSTANDING balances be PAID IN FULL immediately (approximately $86, 000) and ALL your points 161, 396 have been forfeited / taken away.

Does anyone who I can contact who can take care of this?? Any and all help appreciated.

Ha

Comments

• Ha
      31st of Oct, 2008

Hi,

I hope someone can give me contacts ( people ), addresses and telephone numbers to resolve my problem and re-instate my cards.

On Tuesday, October 28, 2008. I received a call from my accounts manager ( never knew I even had one) at American Express asking why $56, 000 had been run through my merchant account machine my companies' Platinum Card.

I explained that I had a customer in the Bahamas whose card that would not work ( to pay for a printing job) and that I swiped my own card to see if my machine was broken. I know a " REALLY DUMB " thing to do ... and I did it 3 times ) ANOTHER DUMB THING ... but you can see I am telling the TRUTH ... and I thought I was putting in $18.00 NOT $18, 000. So I told the guy, " Hey I'm sorry, won't do it again, it was a mistake" ! So he says well isn't not that simple .. "this is fraud (none of the swipes went through), and it's a serious violation and ALL your cards are CANCELLED.

Does anyone who I can contact who can take care of this ?? Any and all help appreciated.

• Je
      1st of Nov, 2008

I just had a similar situation happen with American Express. I've had my card since 1996, never been late with payments, never been over my limit, never never never. I have been actively paying off my card and was about to make the final payment on the account this month. I received a notice saying that my card was being cancelled.

When I called, they said it was vaguely due to 'fraud' and that it was going on my credit score as 'closed by consumer'. They refused to tell me any more information.

I wish I had advice, but I hope it at least helps to know that you're not the only one that amex is sticking it to.

• Ha
      3rd of Nov, 2008

Hi Jen,

TY for posting ..well have done hours of research and am awaiting a call as to my fate with this situation. I will keep you posted ..

• Th
      16th of Feb, 2009

I want to sue Amex for these practices. Please contact me asap
    tcw19 at columbia.edu