American Express / my account closed, but all bills were paid on time
I received a call today that all 3 of my accounts (including my business account) have been canceled. The representative said it was because of 5 returned payments. I asked what that meant because I've been paying my AMEX bills at www.americanexpress.com for the last 6 months with no problems. I go online, click the date for the payment, and hit send. Then the money is taken out of my bank account. I was not notified of these "returned payments" until 3 days ago when my card didn't work while I was buying something. I called in and they said I had a returned payment, and then they used the information I have online to send the payment and it worked.
So, whatever is making the returned payments disappears a few days later and the payments went through fine. The account has plenty of cash, so there's no way it was a problem with my balance.
This is some kind of computer issue that magically resolves itself and now they've canceled my accounts and I won't get a call back for up to 4 days since they don't call on the weekends and today is Friday.
The representative said there is no way to uncancel the accounts... This is absurd!!! I've been a customer for 15 years and have always paid my bill on-time and in full. And the business account was fine but they canceled in anyway.
They should have at least warned me of these issues before canceling my account, and they better compensate me for the 100, 000 miles that I have on the account.
Not only do I have to switch cards, but I have to update the records of almost a 100 online places where I buy things. Not only for my personal, but my business account too.
More American Express Complaints & Reviews
- American Express - canceled card with no notice 
- American Express - debt collection 
- American Express - interest rate increase 
- Your Centurion Card - fraud 
- American Express - penalty for paying bill early 
- American Express - discrimination 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - expired gift certificates
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - perfect credit/25 year member amex cancelled
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - my card 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - customer service, zero help!