American Express / scam

United States Review updated:
2.5
Warning! amex will with no reason, justification or cause take away your credit limits and destroy your credit score! They are currently gutting loyal clients credit lines, and destroying good honest peoples credit scores! By destroying the credit score they are single handed making the credit crisis much worse. By destroying my score, they just caused a loan to my business to be declined and caused it to close, putting several out of work. DONT TRUST YOUR FINANCIAL LIFE TO AMEX> They dont care about their customers and have no loyalty, even to customers of over 20 years! With so many good credit card companies like Chase, B of A etc.. dont let amex screw you like they just did me.
Va

Comments

Ca
  18th of Dec, 2008
Welcome to the club! AMEX took away 70k of our available credit with no warning. No lates, 700+ score. What they are doing should be against the law. I wrote a blog with some things I did to fight back:

The funny part is they are also asking for BILLIONS from the bailout bill. The same bill that was passed by congress to INCREASE lending!

Once again, they little people get the shaft, while corporate america gets a bailout. Shameful. Shameful Shameful.
J1
  25th of Jan, 2009
I had a personal card, not business. However, I always paid on time even more than the minimum. Out of the blue, without any notification I started receiving calls from a collection agency. I thought it must be a mistake because I paid everything on time. Oh no, apparently AMEX decided to send me and my perfect credit history to collections. I called them to fix the error and while they looked into it and verified the mistake they said it was too late now that my account was gone (...gone!?!?) they couldn't fix it. After pleading with several different credit agencies over the years and attempting to work out a payment plan (not sure why I should have to!) I gave up and reported them to the BBB. Obviously without a response. I just reported them to the NH Attorney general. We'll see. I am officially very angry. I was married to an abusive man who messed up my credit and I must say that the only other blemishes on my credit are absolved with my divorce decree so AMEX has now crossed a line with me. Nobody should be allowed to take a bailout from the government and tossaway paying cardmembers. What idiots they are.

American Express Travel Related Services Company Logo American Express Travel Related Services Company
Overall Satisfaction Rating