American Data Providers / Unauthorized charges

American Data Providers
Like a previous complaint found here, I received a check from American Data Providers, though this one was reportedly based out of Meridian, Idaho. Likewise, the envelope was sent from Canada with no written address.

This check was for $3975, and I was asked to first call and have my check authenticated, then deposit the check. After the check 'clears' I was to wire $3420 to one of five training agents each in a different city (and all females... I assume maybe one person with several identities?) in an mystery shopper evaluation of either Moneygram or Western Union.

The senders fee was estimated at $185, and my first week's pay was to be $300. The second assignment was to buy an item with the remaining $70 to evaluate one of Sears, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Victoria's Secret, JC Penney, K-Mart, Toys R Us, Dillard's, or Macy's. The item purchased I would be able to keep.

This sounded too good to be true of course, especially as I couldn't remember ever submitting a finished application to be a Mystery Shopper. After finding the previous complaint mentioned at this site, I did a bit more searching based on key phrases I found on the reverse side of the letter.

Appearing in their 'Code of Business Conducts and Ethics' on the flip side of their letter is a reference to 'Employment Act, Section 15'. A quick google search of this term turns up several letters that look identical with only company names and personal names of the parties involved being different. They each have fraudulent checks attached to them.

Anyone else searching for this should beware that in the event of cashing fraudulent checks, the victim is liable to reimburse all the money. I don't know about anyone else here but I sure don't have $4000 to throw around for something like this.

Anyone else receiving such checks should be warned... Do a thorough research!

A  23rd of Apr, 2009 by
I received a check for $3, 300.00 with the same instructions. First task is to wire $2, 750.00 -$150.00 WU or MG charges- to an evaluator in New Jersey. Second task is to spend $100 at a local retail store while evaluating their customer service treatment. And $300.00 to keep as probation training pay.

I did the research on the information thats in the letter that I received. The letter states that is a research program and supposely fully paid for by American Data Provider. American Data Provider is a real estate foreclosure listing company based out of Meridian, ID. Nothing to do with customer service evaluation or consumer retail.

The letter that I received has the name of the research group as being Telequest based out 2808 N. Dallas PKWY Dallas, TX 75201. According to MapQuest, no such address. But there is a Telequest Corp. located at 100 Crescent Court Ste 700 Dallas, TX 75201.

Another thing that looked suspicious were the names of the contacts. All nearly the same; Josie, James, Jack, Lisa, and Lee. Too weired.

Theres a phone number to this fake Telequest in Dallas but its a Canadian number 514-625-5383. So I called and spoke to this Jack character who had an accent. I think it might have been French or from India.

I asked him a few questions but he just repeated everything off the letter. No real answers. Like where is the money being wired to and for what reason.

In any case, I did not do the task. This is a scam.
A  2nd of May, 2009 by
Is there any way to get you money back after this kind of scam? Someone I know did this, and thought it was legit. They deposited the check, it cleared. They spent the money, then the bank deducted three thousand dollars from their account, because the check bounced! I thought it was outrageous!!! But now, they are three thousand dollars short, because of this. They tried talking to the bank, and the bank says it's not their fault. Now they are trying to get ahold of the company who did this, to no avail. They have also contacted the Better Business Bureau, the FBI, and the Federal Trade Commission. Does anyone know of any way to get this money back?
N  14th of Nov, 2010 by
I received a similar letter but it was related to Mystery Shopping and Paid Surveys..There was a check enclosed for $2950.00. Payment for services $300.00...Money gram or Western Union $2450.00...$120.00 Service charge...$80.00 for shopping at any of the listed retail stores. The letter is signed by Kyle Kowen and the Sponsors listed are Starwood and Alliance Airlines...the check is from Alliance Airlines thru Midwest bank & Trust out of Elmwood Park, IL...anytime letters with checks enclosed requiring you to cash it thru YOUR bank and send money by MoneyGram or WesternUnion ...It is a scam, , , Dont cash it!!!

American Data Providers Logo American Data Providers