American Auto Shiled / Extended Warranty

I purchased an extended coverage for my Lincoln Aviator. One year in to the contract, I kept getting check engine light on, so took the car at a local Lincoln dealership. After the diagnostic was done, it turned out there is low compression on cylinder 6 and 7, which required replacing the left cylinder head (COVERED UNDER MY CONTRACT). The techs at the dealership determined that this happened due to lubrication as there were scars on two of the valves, (American Warranty made me authorize the teardown). After three days of running around and not willing to cover the repair, determined that the cause was due to carbon buildup. (Please note; they were able to determine this jut by looking at pictures that the shop faxed them). After several hours of phone conversation they refused to cover any repair and I got stuck with $2800 bill just for the teardown. At last, I ended up having my car fixed from my own pocket.
DO NOT BUY ANY PRODUCT FROM AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD/WARRANTY AMERICA. IT’S A RIPOFF!!

Dg

Comments

• Aa
      25th of Aug, 2010

My name is Paul Stratch - CFO for American Auto Shield. There is no name or contract numbers so I could not verify the comments made above. However, the fact that this person is posting on some obscure site online, rather than attempting to bring this to our managements attention suggests to me that the correct decision was made on the claim. IF the damage was caused by carbon, that would not be covered under the contract terms. It is NOT a "rip off" to follow the contract terms. Contracts cannot cover 100% of everything - unless you want to pay $5, 000 for your Honda Civic contract, which no one will.

If you provide me with more details, I would be happy to review it & provide all the facts.