American Airlines / baggage mishap

1 P.O. Box 619612DFW Airport, TX, United States Review updated:

American Airlines was awful to me. They lost my luggage on a flight from Shanghai to Chicago ( or delayed as they like to call it). They offered absolutely no accommodations to me. Although they found the bags the next day they sent them to the wrong address, my parents address rather than mine! My parents live 9 hours away... a huge inconvenience. I filed a complaint and never even got an apology...

Va

Comments

• Bi
      19th of Jul, 2007

I work for a mission organization and in March 2007, I led a group on a mission trip to Ecuador. There had been many challenges on this project and I was looking forward to my trip home.

My flight originated in Sacramento, then to Dallas, on to Miami and then to Ecuador. I would be taking the same legs back home. After I returned to Dallas, I was waiting at the gate, where they announced several times that the flight had been overbooked and they were looking for three people to take a later flight. I was exhausted and did not want to delay my return. The first announcement offered a $100 voucher for American. The next announcement offered $200. And the third announcement offered a $300 voucher and some other incentives. No one was taking them up on the later flight and they were getting desperate.

I had chosen a seat at the very back of the plane, and was therefore in the first boarding group. I had a very small backpack (smaller than a standard purse), my camera bag and my carryon. When I got to the area where they scan your boarding pass, I was told that I had way too much luggage. I told them that my backpack and camera bag always got stowed under the seat in front of me and my carryon would go in the overhead compartment. After all, I had already completed five legs in my trip that way, without any problems. They told me that there was no way they would let me on the plane with my “excessive” items. When I got upset, they told me if I was to say one more word, they would kick me off the plane. That’s when I realized that this was how they were going to solve the overbooking problem.

I reluctantly gave them my carryon case, which I watched the lady at the gate chuck in a corner. As I moved down the gangway, I heard the two American employees make fun of me to the people behind me in line.

Some friends of mine that had joined me on that trip and were not boarding until later, told me that they were told if they didn’t put their tiny video camera in her purse, they would have to check it or be kicked off the plane. Can you imagine? The camera was around her neck on a strap and was literally 4” wide and 6” long. When I told them what happened to me, they were furious. It is obvious to me now, that American has given their employees complete control to do whatever necessary to resolve overbooking issues.

Upon arriving at home, all my fragile items in my carryon were broken. I had a laptop from my work in there and was afraid to even turn it on. Luckily it worked, but all other items were beyond repair.

I travel extensively for work and will never take American again. I’d rather pay a little extra, to not have to deal with them again.

4th of Aug, 2007

I flew American Airlines on my honeymoon to hawaii from Virginia. We went to Chicago first then Hawaii. They don't provide snacks unless you want to pay for them--which I'm used to not much more than peanuts of pretzels. The flight was over 9 hours and you could purchase an overpriced snack if you had the right change. I didn't want to fly them again but they had a good rate on a flight from Texas to VA where I now live. I needed to change my flight date to two days later. The flight was awful on the way out. They were offering vouchers for people to stay and catch a later flight. The plane was small, the crew was short on supplies because they cleaned in a rush--so water or a coke was about the only choice--no coffee, no juice, no milk. Said they didn't want to delay anymore than they already had. They lost my luggage and several others and were the only airline counter at the airport that had only one employee working. They lost the luggage of an elderly woman with emphysema . They were rude to her and not very helpful. She was on a cane and could barely catch her breath and they told her "your not the only to lose your luggage and you need to get to the back of the line". Extremely hateful but probably because they only had one woman checking bags, finding bags, and making arrangements to send them to you... if they find them. If you want to change a flight with them you call the number they give you to find out they charge more to book it by phone but yet you cant change it online yourself. It was going to cost more to change the flight than it would be to throw the ticket away and just buy another one. They were not helpful by phone. I was willing to drive to another airport for their cheaper flights but they wanted $400 to change airports--which in the end would have saved them money. They overbooked their flights, downsized the plane, and sent several of the passengers from gate to gate. The representative by phone said "you should go ahead and fly Southwest." I'm not sure what airline I'll be flying but it will not be American.

• Wi
      9th of Oct, 2007
    American Airlines - Poor service!

I feel that American airlines was very uncaring. These rules that they have give the people an excuse to steal. I took a trip to Alaska to fish for salmon. I froze, vacuum packed and packed my salmon in a cooler for the trip. My cooler was lost. It was never found but since it was a perishable they are not liable. I can understand the rule being enforceable if the food had been delivered in a reasonable time and was spoiled. But this was never found!

All I got from american airline was tough luck!

6th of Jan, 2008
    Cheaptickets.com / American Airlines - Not given notification of tickets being confirmed and charged to me after I went elsewhere
    Cheaptickets.com/American Airlines
    www.cheaptickets.com

I tried to purchase two tickets from there company and was told that I would here from them within a 24 hour period via email if my tickets were confirmed. I was not notified and the money was put back into my account. Then after I booked through Orbits, they re-charged my account. I want my money back!

• Ta
      8th of Jul, 2008

American Airlines hides behind their customer service web-form. Here are some direct addresses and phone numbers.

Marla.waddington@aa.com, jane.knight@aa.com, Sean.Bentel@aa.com, gerard.arpey@aa.com, gary.kennedy@aa.com, dan.garton@aa.com, rob.reding@aa.com, tom.horton@aa.com, kenneth.wimberly@aa.com, peter.dolara@aa.com, henry.joyner@aa.com, monte.ford@aa.com, mark.hettermann@aa.com, beverly.goulet@aa.com, rob.friedman@aa.com, denise.lynn@aa.com, art.pappas@aa.com, andrew.watson@aa.com, maya.leibman@aa.com
    tim.rhodes@aa.com, tom.delvalle@aa.com

817 967-2092 817 967-2121 817 967-8500

• Oh
      19th of Nov, 2008

There is a place, called My Trips, to check to see if your booking went thru. With all the email spam guards in place now, sometimes you don't get emails even though they were sent. Also, any adult with a credit card knows about soft charges, etc. It's also knows that it can take several days after the pending authorization falls off for the airline to hard charge for the flight. Why didn't you call them to see if the booking went through?

28th of Apr, 2009
    American Airlines - service,cost and hygine
    rodney yorke
    53 walney road la14 5ug
    England, Cumbria
    United Kingdom
    Phone: 015394 36204 option 1

traveling on american air lines over a 2 month trip to america we found the whole experience a night mare, the planes were dirty with coffee staines up the back of the seats crumbs on the seats they were dusty .we found the staff rude, lazy, scruffy, never once smiled only served 2 drinks on the out ward flight to america, the food was terrible, we were charged up to $80 at check in extra for our bags on all 5 flights the staff had no pride in there jobs for a big company you really are a disgrace we do this trip every year and can now say the last time we fly american air lines whats gone wrong with your company are handle on our case was snapped of on check in and they never even said sorry we did ring they flight centre in london they spoke to american air lines they said they would send us conpansation yes it never arrived that says it all.

10th of Jun, 2009
    American Airlines - freezing
    Joan Baxter

American Airlines had very uncomfortable air in my husband, John Scott, and my seating area, on our return flight from Santo Domingo. We were informed that the air could not be changed. Apparently the problem has persisted for rows 10-12 for some time?? We paid the same price as the other passengers...why is it ok for us to freeze?? I asked for a blanket...none were left?? You need to fix these problems!! People should be informed and compensated!! Joan Baxter

• Bi
      10th of Jun, 2009

Are you [censored]ing SERIOUS?!?! Have you not heard about Air France Flight AF447?!? Over TWO HUNDRED passengers DIED on that [censored]ing thing. They are still fishing dead bodies and debris out of the ocean! No one has a solid answer on what went wrong! Does that put your stupid complaint into perspective? Cold air is the least of your concerns when flying.

If you are talking about this air blower thing above you by the light, it can be twisted into the "off" position, ###.

PLUS you flew coach, not first class. Additionally, ticket price varies depending on WHEN it is purchased. So NO, you didn't pay as much as the other passengers, so get over yourself & shut the [censored] up.

18th of Aug, 2009
    American Airlines - Stolen Tools
    Florida

I was flying From MCO to GIG. To go to work on Helicopters. I had my tool bag. Upon Arrival of Rio I found that 1200 dollars of tools were taken. American wants the original receipts. Which I don't have but I had to repurchase these said tools and yet they won't take that receipt. I am a mechanic and these were basic hand tools that I need for my job. I had to take a lot of heat from the boss over this and just about costed me my job. Now American gives me a check for 248 dollars. These were snap on tools can you tell me how many tools I can buy with this money. Does not even cover the taxes on this. But they don't care. I guess it's time for me to seek out an attorney and finally have a judge see how much I am entitled to.

30th of Nov, 2009

Sat on the runway for 3 1/2 hours before leaving for a flight this weekend. They say it was on account of weather, but were they seriously unable to tell us that BEFORE boarding the hot, stuffy plane only to sit there that long? They tried hard to acommodate by playing You, Me & Dupress (MIchale Douglas has not been in one good movie since he's gone grey) - sitting through the film added insult to injury. I have nothing good to say about this flight, knowing full well how hard they worked to make us comfortable. Unfortunately, this experience was out of there control...

• St
      6th of Feb, 2010

I had a digital camera stolen from one of my checked bags on a trip from Boston to Dallas. I filed a complaint and followed up but they never replied. I realize I shouldn't have put anything valuable in my checked bag. It's my fault for trusting that American Airlines would have trustworthy people working in their baggage area.

• Li
      27th of Sep, 2010
    American Airlines - Treats handicapped like dirt
    American Airlines

American Airlines Miami Airport Sept 3, 2010 (overnight flight AA6852 from Seattle arrived about 7:15am. Flight AA935 was scheduled to leave at 11:05am)

I had a 4 hour lay-over in Miami. Plenty of time for one last big American breakfast to make up for no dinner last night. However, American Airlines has the worst wheelchair service program in the world!

a. Different Wheel chair pushers or ¨drivers¨for incoming and outgoing flights.

b. Nobody can leave the arrival gate until all special needs people are gathered together at the top of the ramp.

c. All special needs people MUST go to American Airlines holding area and wait there (no bathrooms, no food) until ½ - 1 hour before flight departure, when they will be escorted to their next departure gate.

d. NO Exceptions!

I was off the plane near the front, waited 45 minutes until the only other wheelchair passenger was off, then we went 20 feet to the elevator where we separated. My driver refused to stop at any of the Departure Boards to find my departure gate. He said they were not American Airlines. I knew my departure was Concorse E, we arrived at F, he took me through the terminal, outside, around the parking lot to D then to the other end of D to the ¨holding pen.¨ He said the man there would take care of me. I waited 20 minutes then approached him. He handed me my boarding pass with E7 written on it. I asked when I would go to E-7 he said not until ½ to 1 hour before departure. I had to wait there almost 3 hours. I said I must eat before I can take my medicine. He said, ¨So, walk.¨ When I complained I couldn´t he just shrugged and turned away. I tried to complain to a supervisor at the check-in counter, and got blown off. She said, Miami handles more handicapped than anywhere else in the world (American Airlines world, anyway) and their system works, no problems. Go sit down and she’d come see me sometime. (I waited a few minutes, she never came and I needed my heart medicine. I started walking, sitting, walking, sitting after I got somebody to point the way to Concourse E. Turns out I had to follow my path back to where the driver had said the Departure Board was not American. Of course it was. Where we went outside, was the entrance to Concourse E. He could have left me off almost 2 hours earlier only a few gates away from my destination, if American Airlines had allowed him to. Instead I had to walk back with my heart straining from both lack of medicine and over exercise. I got food, medicine and to my gate, where I discovered the flight was delayed. Actually it left about 3 hours late. Imagine sitting in the ¨holding pen¨ for 8 hours. I feel sorry for the ones who can’t hobble and are at the mercy of those sadists.

• Sl
      8th of Jan, 2011
    American Airlines - Whose Running the Ship?
    American Airlines

What a nightmare! My husband recently re-booked award tickets to Belize. I made the changes in December. At the end of the call, just after the agent confirmed payment detaisl, we were disconnected. I immediately called back and was told that the updated reservations were in the system and we were good to go. A few days ago, it occured to me that I hadn't received any kind of email confirmation. I call AA, and after spending time in the automated system, was given confirmation of the two reservations and was even told our seat assignments. Still, I wanted an email confirmation, so after spending more time trying to find a real person and being transfered from department to department, I was told that in fact, only I had a ticket, but my husband had only a reservation, not an actual ticket. Does thta make sense to you? Becuase it sure doesn;t to me. So, after another 30 minute call (and more money being paid to AA), his reservation became a ticket. Phew, right? Now we're done. Nope. The next day I realize that I still have only received one email confirmation - for my husband, Brook - and none for me. So I call back AGAIN. This time I am told tha tthe agent accidentally booked to tickets for Brook, but none for me. What? How can that be? Do we had to go through it all over again (and pay more $ to AA!!) This has been an unbelievably frustrating and difficult process. I would expect at least an upgrade but the mamager told me they don't upgrade based on service issues. I am rethinking my commitment to flying AA. And I'm just glad that I was perseverent and kept calling. I can only imagine the nightmare of showing up at the airport to be told our reservations weren't really tickets!

• Ve
      8th of Jan, 2011

American Airlines is the worst air carrier i have ever flown on...The flight attendants are rude and pompous twits..

• Pr
      7th of Feb, 2011
    American Airlines - unbelievable fee
    american airlines
    Alabama

my wife has gone by another name for the 30+ years we have been married. i recently made reservations for the two of us, and realized the name on the ticket was not the same as that on her drier's license. it is still a month until the flight. american airlines wants $150 to just change the name! it seems ridiculous that they can hold you up for a simple matter like that. maybe if i called an hour before the flight it might make a little sense, but this is outright robbery

23rd of Feb, 2011
    American Airlines - Experience out of control
    American Airlines

Sat on the runway for 3 1/2 hours before leaving for a flight this weekend. They say it was on account of weather, but were they seriously unable to tell us that BEFORE boarding the hot, stuffy plane only to sit there that long? They tried hard to accommodate by playing You, Me & Dupress (Michale Douglas has not been in one good movie since he’s gone grey) – sitting through the film added insult to injury. I have nothing good to say about this flight, knowing full well how hard they worked to make us comfortable. Unfortunately, this experience was out of their control.

• Ad
      2nd of Mar, 2011
    AA - Anti-Family, awful Customer Service ground crew
    AA

I just flew from San Jose to Fort Lauderdale. My trip involved a plan change in Dallas/Fort Worth. I was traveling alone with a 2 year old. I had a CRS strapped with a Traveling Toddler to my carryon bag. I had paid for two seats. My daughter had a tiny backpack on that was really just a bag attached to a monkey harness as I was worried about her running away while I managed luggage by myself. I had my purse. I had a very small bag that I kept all my liquids and food in so I could more easily get through security (only had to empty that one bag). And then I had a diaper bag and a very tiny bag with a spare diaper and wipes so when I had to go to the bathroom to change my daughter, I would not have to lug my whole diaper bag down the aisle along with a very active 2 year old. ALL of these bags were small and easily fit under the front seat. The Car seat occupied my daughter's seat and is NOT included in the carryon allowance. The carry one roller bag went in the bin overhead.

So. In San Jose outbound, I asked the gate desk if I could pre board. No problem. I was nicely allowed on first so I could strap my daughter's car seat in and get OUT of the aisle ASAP. I had a few problems getting off and the Pilot, Yes, the PILOT, actually helped me off the plane and carried my car seat into the terminal where I had to reassemble everything.

So when I went to check in to continue to Florida, I asked if I could pre-board. The woman said yes, in 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, I approached the loading area. I was standing near another ticketing woman and she asked if she could help me. I said I wanted to possibly pre-board. She said no problem.

But then, when it came to boarding, a third woman was calling the boarding. I went to her and asked about pre-boarding. She said, NO. In a very nasty way and that they don't do that. I said the other woman (the first woman), who was standing RIGHT there said I could. That other woman did NOT speak up which was Very lame of her. She just kept her head down. I told her that they allowed me to pre-board in San Jose. She said they do things differently in Dallas. And then in the MOST CONDESCENDING VOICE, VICKY told me that, "We are all adults here." Mind you, by now, this was happening in front of about 20 people.

So then I walked over to the second woman and said that the third woman told me I could not pre-board. She had been unaware of all that was transpiring so she looked up and got a disgusted look on her face and walked over to the second woman and told her something. She came back and told me I could board. So I was waiting and then Vicky told me that I had to wait until Group 1 boarded. So I just stood there. Then she looks over and told me I have to many bags. I told her I did not, that I was allowed them. My CRS did not count as a bag. She pointed to my 2 year old's TINY backpack and said that counted. I just looked at her stunned. I said I had my daughter in a harness, that happened to have a bag with it, so that I did not LOOSE her in the airport. I then asked her why she was giving me such a hard time. She ignored me. Then the nicest of all the women, number two, came up and Vicky goes to her and complains, "She has too many bags."

It was all quite stupid because I could have stuffed the smaller bag AND my daughter's pack in my roller carry on. She basically was just giving me a REALLY hard time and was being nasty and completely CLUELESS that it is people like me that pay her salary through the purchase of our tickets.

I was fuming and boarded the plane. A man behind me offered to help and I asked him why she was being so awful. He said he had seen the same thing the day before when he had flown.

I could also tell you what happened on the return. Another nasty comment about pre-boarding.

What is it with AA? How come your staff cannot see a woman traveling by herself with a child and baggage on a cross country flight and give someone a break? When I was able to pre-board from San Jose, I got me and my daughter on board in and my seat in record time. I held up no lines. When I was not allowed to, even going after Group 1, I held up all the lines, it was incredibly stressful and a very unpleasant experience for me and everyone else.

Vicky is absolutely a horrible customer service person and if I had a way to notify her supervisor, I would. I will think twice, no three times about flying AA again alone with a child.

It is clear AA has no across the board policy to make their airlines family friendly.

• Ms
      2nd of Mar, 2011
    AA - No compassion; nothing but the worst
    AA

This March my wife and I booked a round trip ticket from Seattle to Chattanooga to visit my mother who was gravely ill. She died a few days into the trip causing us to delay our departure so we could attend her funeral. Working through AARP we thought that our change of departure fees were somewhat fair. However, AA charged us over $570 a piece plus the price of our original ticket to change our departure date. This was almost double the rate of the original roundtrip fare. The tickets ended up costing $930 each. On the new intinerary, they refused to assign our seats until we got to Chicago to change planes, and even wanted to charge us $990 a piece to upgrade to first class. The final insult was a seat in row 31, right next to the engine. Every person we talked to in Chicago was stone faced and rude. It was nearly impossible to talk directly to someone on the phone, and the person I did talk to was nearly impossible to understand, and our e-mails, faxes, and phone calls have been ignored so far. I'll never fly AA again, and I encourage everyone to boycott them.

• Bl
      5th of May, 2011
    American Airlines - Given several misinformations
    Illinois

Book a group outing only to have some to cancel. I called the group desk to get info. on what my options are. I had 2 different stories - 1) can reuse ticket from date of issue but then another representative advised me that since there was a change in times I could cancel and use it from date of cancellation. I then called yesterday and the representative could not find this person's reservation - thought all was well. But, I find it via internet and call back. I advised this person what has transpired who advised me I can only use ticket from date of purchase. I told her what I was previously advised - she said "so sorry" It will be impossible to use this ticket as I purchased them a year ago and would have to go soon - but we are already planning on vacation within this time frame. So, bottom line I'm out $$$ due to misinformation!!!