American Airlines / discrimination towards a disabled child

A year has passed since the horrible inhumane incident that happened on March 19th and 20th of 2006, and I still feel the numbness from the discriminating remarks from 2 agents (by the name of Carver and supervisor Smythe)towards my disabled child, I still feel it as a slap in face and worse the poor investigation that the so called customer relations representative (in texas) Higbee made without even taking into consideration that I had 2 witnesses that saw and heard the poor treatment. Ms Higbee concluded there was no discrimination in their part and practically spit in our face and just want us to move on.

A year ago we traveled to California during spring break vacation and since American Airlines likes to rip of people by selling two tickets for one seat and treat customers as first come first serve basis, we lost our seat and ended up waiting over 26 miserable hours on standby at LAX airport. After 18 hours with out sleep from having to move from one wait area to another and due to busy airport my disabled child started getting very exhausted and I started to worry about her condition due to possible seizures or convulsion from exhaustion and I went to many counters begging and asking if we could get an immediate flight due to her condition and when I explained my concern agent carver responed in a cold and cruel manner "well im sorry the flight is booked and if she starts having one of those convulsions please take her to another waiting area dont let it happen here." I was in shock and I immediately asked for a supervisor and then spoke with a Smythe and when I informed of the situation she responded "what are you doing traveling with a disabled child?" How insulting, am I supposed to keep my child locked up because she was born with a disability? who in their right mind could say such harsh comments!

I then put a complaint to the co called American airlines customer relations and an unprofessional agent by the name of Higbee responded and advised me that a complete investigation was done and that American airlines played no part in discrimination. (Even though I advised her that I had 2 witnesses that were standing by the counters and were willing to testify.) The customers relations agent informed me that although the investigation was completed, American Airlines will take my concern and comment for room for improvement and that my comment would be forwarded to the managing director in Los Angeles for an internal review and that my criticism has been used constructively. (with a slap in the face) I have yet to hear from the managing director from American airlines. I want everyone to know that American airlines is the worst airline whom discriminates against the disabled and worst of all a disabled child. We will never use American airlines again.

Comments

• Ru
      18th of Apr, 2007

I am totally shocked on reading this post. This is the most horrifying thing I have read here. Please do take up some action and do not give up feeling snubbed or hurt. Even if it takes handling 20 such stuck up representatives or their seniors DON'T give up. A few insensitive souls should not be able to hurt your or your child's self respect. Please keep us posted on this.