America Online / Fraud business practices - bill after cancellation!

AOL offers free trials and when you don't cancel aol continues the service even when the 30 free trial is up. They then bill you 3ys. later through a collection agency and threaten to seek judgment. How do they get away with this!

Na

Comments

• Va
      30th of Jan, 2007

I also attempted to cancel my aol acct. after being with them for over 10 years, and also being a beta tester for new versions. Yes, I got the same run-around as what everyone else seems to get, I was offered "2 free months" to "think about it".

I called again and told them to cancel, which they said they did. I started getting past due notices and when I called I was told that I was past due on the month prior to the "free 2 months" they gave me. Ummm, I was on auto payment, so how did this happen? I commented to the Branch Manager at my bank about this, she told me they did something similar to her and that she had to close her checking acct. and re open a new one because they kept debiting it. I also closed mine and then the fight was on...
    I got calls DAILY from the collection dept, sometimes 2 or 3 in one day. I told them I was NOT paying and to stop calling me. I also told them I was recording the calls per my attorney, at which I was told that was against the law and then they would hang up on me. Are these adults? This went on for 3 months, yes daily calls for 3 months, I even had to change my phone number, for a total amount due of $29.95 + tax. I switched to Earthlink, which wasn't much better. I was with aol since version 1.5, if that tells anyone how long I was a "valued" customer. LMAO

STAY AWAY PEOPLE!!!!! Go with a smaller company, seems they are easier to deal with, not that any of them speak english, which last time I checked was OUR national language...

2nd of Feb, 2007

We have been AOl customers for 10 years and paying $12.95 for limited minutes and then began billing us $14.95 for limited, while at the same time they were offering unlimited minutes for only $9.95. Sure was nice of them to raise our price for limited minutes, while at the same time they were offering unlimited minutes for $5 less per month. Guess they certainly appreciate their loyal customers, huh? When we called to complain, we got no satisfaction. They assured us three times that we would at least get the $9.95 rate, but whenever we checked we were still being charged $14.95. I think there should be a law against AOL!

9th of Feb, 2007

To anyone who has aol/ or thinking of using aol please be advised of the nightmare this company has put my husband and i thru and 1,000's of other customers.

I had been with aol for sometime, we started out with the free 6 month trial. our first mistake was giving our checking account information. Later down the road my husband and i wanted to cancel and switch to my local phone company who offered highspeed at a better price. thats when all hell broke loose. first of all you couldn't reach any one , i tried 6 different 1-800 numbers only to be on hold for 20 minutes at a time, when i did reach some one they were rude, some laughed at me said they couldn't help me i had to try another number, it was such a run around and then they would hang up on me. So in the mean time i had signed up for highspeed with my phone company and still trying to get aol to cancel me. I even wrote them a letter and e-mailed. Then they began double billing, so i tried to reach some one and was told it would be reversed with in 72 hours to my checking? guess what never happened. Finally i was able to reach some one after weeks of frustration to cancel them. Guess what i was slapped with surprise fees for leaving them. When i argued i would not pay these fees i was told i would go to collections. I have perfect credit and did not want my credit ruined. I just wanted the nightmare to end so i paid the sur charges, guess what 6 months later i was turned into collections saying i owe more money. Im at loss as to how this company has been able to get away with this. what is the Americans peoples recourse? how do we stand up to the corporate bully. would love some help?? Im so frustrated....

• Ex
      11th of Oct, 2009

NEVER AGAIN WILL USE AOL... NEVER! THEY HAVE STOLEN SO MUCH MONEY FROM US AND SEEM THAT THEY ALWAYS GET THEIR WAY!
    THE POWER OF MOUTH -TO-MOUTH IS THE GREATEST POWER, I HOPE ONE DAY I CAN GET REFUNDED FOR THE 3 MONTHS [UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES] THEY ROBBED ME AFTER A FEW YRS OF SUBSCRIPTION, I TOO CANCELLED!

14th of Dec, 2009

Charged my debit card without authorization.