AMCORE Bank / Double Charging Overdraft

1 Rockford, IL, United States Review updated:

Amcore is now putting holds on "Pending" ATM-Debit Card Transactions for the amount of the possible transaction. Pending means that a transaction MIGHT happen it is not a a real transaction. If there is not enough in your account for the hold they generate in and of themselves (how is this even legal), they charge a $35 overdraft. Now 24-36 hours later the transaction will either fall off or post. If it posts and your still overdrawn, they charge another $35 overdraft for the same transaction. That is double dipping and is fraud!

What a racket.

Also, they are also resorting transactions that have posted so they can pay a higher charge item that will then cascade cause multiple items to bounce. God help you if those are pending ATM or debit card. They did both of these to me and it cost me a fortune.

Here is the scam. My Last 4 items that had already posted. Several days later a check was posted for more than the available balance so it should be 1 overdraft for $35+the check right?...nope they reversed out the last 4 items, posted the check, then resubmitted the last 4 items charging $35 each. Then a debit card transaction came through for $2 and yeilded $70 in overdrafts, that double dipping thing.
Its days before my paycheck and the $5 per day is going to kick in. They rep told me they can resort your account back for 30 days however they see fit!

Avoid amcore like the plague!

Comments

4th of Nov, 2009

They have done the same things to me. In another incidence, my wife wrote a check that I wasn't aware of. It was for about $400. The account had about $350 in it. I saw the item had been kicked back and I was charged an overdraft fee. There was about $315 left in the account. I went to the bank and deposited a large check and withdrew $300 cash from the account. The next day no other checks hit the account but I got charged another nsf fee for removing the $300 from the teller window. Can someone explain how this is legal? Why isn't there a class action suit against these crooks?

• Ju
      14th of Feb, 2010

This EXACT same thing happened to me! I am INCREDIBLY displeased!

I had the order of my transactions changed AND WAS GIVEN CHARGES BEFORE I WAS EVEN OVERDRAWN. Amcore refused to believe me, even when provided with a copy of my statement and then (get this)... a direct quote from the Amcore customer service rep:

"Our online service is only a GUIDELINE. It is not supposed to be used as a means of knowing exactly what your balance is!" WHAT THE HECK PEOPLE! The reason I went overdrawn in the first place is because Amcore does their stupid "holding" of transactions, and then posted days later. My account balance was LITERALLY 2 days behind real time.

Disgusted.