Amazon / amazon allows bootleg vhs video sales

United States Review updated:

Amazon turns a blind eye on Marketplace sellers who blatantly profit on illegal sales of an endless supply of bootleg VHS videos of out-of-print movies and prevent the sales of authentic copies of these movies from legitimate sellers. It's very easy to spot this fraud listings and yet Amazon does not investigate, respond to or take seriously any reports on these particular sellers.

Only buyers can expose them by buying a copy of one of their bootleg movies, file an Amazon complaint to get their money back (this is easy because of Amazon guarantees) and leave a "1" score, a big negative on the seller clearly stating that they are bootleggers to warn future customers. Pretty soon, their ratings will come down.

The biggest bootlegger I’ve spotted is DJSBOOKS1

Check out this DJSBOOKS1 listings of rare movies such as My Sweet Charlie (1970), To Each His Own (1946), Movie Movie (1978) and many many more.

DJSBOOKS1 has 755 items in his storefront all listed at the lowest price to monopolize the sales. Almost all are bootleg faked rentals and is listed with one description:

Video quality is Great, exrental. Box cut and in NEWER Rental Case. Slight Wear on case, in Like New Condition. Your Satisfaction is Guaranteed.

Here is an example of a negative feedback left for this crook:

1 out of 5: "WARNING: SELLS ILLEGAL VHS BOOTLEGS! Homemade FAKE artwork put in NEW Clam case on CHEAP new tapes. I am FURIOUS! Charges $$$ for HOMEMADE bootleg VHS copies! I'm sending evidence to FBI. She is a SCAM! Cuts apart artwork poorly HOMEMADE on COPIER! Ruined my TRUST in people! I've been Lied to and GOUGED. She's LAUGHING at every sale! DON'T BE NEXT! Degrades AMAZON'S reputation. She is BUSTED!"
Date: December 20, 2010 Rated by Buyer: allawys

Please help exterminate this crook who is making so much money. Why do I care? Because I see so many honest sellers being robbed of legitimate sales by this crook and its partner Amazon who condones this fraud.

Yl

Comments

• Vi
      13th of Oct, 2009

I can't believe that a big company like amazon can be such a mess.

• Co
      16th of Jan, 2011

I quit selling on EBay about 5 years ago for this same reason. eBay is like a fencing operation for stolen property. They don't care if the seller is violating Federal copyright laws as long as they get their commission. Officially EBay states that they will only take action against illegal copyright violations if the holder of the copyright complains. That is why I switched to Amazon to sell my videos. I have found much fewer bootleggers on Amazon. I presume that Amazon will not tolerate it if they discover that sellers are committing Federal felonies on their website. To those that think that bootlegging does no harm, a seller that has a valuable video that is rare has the value substantially reduced when fake copies are available at bargain prices. If it does no harm and is not deceptive then why doesn't the seller advertise that it is a homemade copy he made in his basement? It would still be a Federal felony to sell it, but buyers would know what they are getting. Of course the answer to that is that the seller would have more trouble selling the fake copy if the buyer was informed.

Mr. Stealth Pilot,

I welcome the opportunity to be sued by this seller.

It's very easy to prove.

The seller sells the same copies of movies over and over and over again.

Mr. Stealth Pilot,

I forwarded this site to the seller DJSbooks1 and to Amazon.

Watch and nothing will happen!

• Co
      18th of Jan, 2011

I AGREE, i once purchased a VHS from a seller named MovieJukeBoxReply 2 years ago, they had a professional VHS Bootleg operation going on also, they are very quick to refund your item when you complain to them, to this date, MovieJukeBoxReply is the biggest Bootleg person amazon, this person dj and some other sellers, i just checked at the same movie i bought 2 years ago and MovieJukeBoxReply is still selling the same items over again and again, nearly over 2000 items, WOW that is a lot of bootlegs

18th of Jan, 2011

Complaint78,

I know about MovieJukeBoxReplay, the main competition of djsbooks1. This crooked seller has this description over and over again: Listed as ACCEPTABLE because VHS cassette has NO BOX or NO ARTWORK . This is a former VHS rental video.

Meanwhile, djsbooks1 just got another feedback.

1 out of 5: "THIS IS A COUNTERFEIT."
    Date: January 17, 2011 Rated by Buyer: yankeesredsox#1

• Ge
      3rd of Feb, 2011

These two sellers are stealing thousands and thousands of dollars from legitimate sellers. They are thieves who deserve jail time. I do not understand how Amazon lets them continue. Both have numerous complaints of bootlegging among their feedback.

It is infuriating. I ordered a tape from each and confirmed that it is true. djbooks1 included an advertisement for another business (water purifier). This is also a clear violation of Amazon's rules and I reported that as well. What else can be done?

• Ge
      3rd of Mar, 2011

Great news! Djsbooks (who changed names to books11574) seems to be gone! Now if we can get MovieJukeBoxReplay and Ronsbookbarn, prices might actually return to normal ... until they come back again.

• Fr
      4th of Mar, 2011

Zachary S. says, "Others just want to see the movie. If it is obvious that the seller is offering copies, I don't see the great harm."

I enjoy this statement and somewhat agree. For the most part there is no great harm except to competing resellers, as it crushed their ability to reap large profits by maintaining heavily inflated prices due to the demand outweighing the supply of their "legitimate copies" of the same "intellectual properties". The real harm is in the dilution of trust within the marketplace. Because unless the seller is indeed clearly labeling their product as illict or say, less than authentic - they are contributing to the degradation of the integrity of the market. If people just want to see the movie they should download it via BitTorrent or a file repository. I have absolutely no problem with that route.

gkenigmatic says, "'The seller sells the same copies of movies over and over and over again.' So does Walmart. What's your point?"

This is absolutely true and gives an entirely new perspective on this in a broader sense. Before long it seems, mankind is doomed to wade through the muddy waters of the global internets to retrieve any and all forms of data in the form of COPIES of COPIES of COPIES and is expected to pay for that priveledge to the owners or arbiters of the "right" to allow said copies to be made. Nearly all physical media will be a thing of the past and ownership will have taken a dramatic and catastrophic shift from the consumers, to the "owners". Entire sections of the economy are being phased out in this manner. As fewer and fewer creative works are released in any format other than severely degraded MP3 and lossy video formats (and indeed even lossless content), people will no longer have the "right" to resell their purchased content, as the copy they purchased does not truly "belong" to them in the traditional sense. They are merely renting it, or borrowing the "right" to use it temporarily. Sure, they can always re-download it if they somehow delete the files or the files suffer corruption but they have no legitimate "rights" of ownership to the file itself. As you can never truly run out of copies, the trend with this format is for the prices to remain locked and set in stone across myriad venues. From iTunes to Amazon digital media is very similar to a type of monopoly - the ones who profit the most are the content providers and their pipelines. The actual artists make a decent chunk of change, but it pales in comparison. Which brings me to my point. Many years back, Garth Brooks tried to sue used record stores for reselling USED copies of his albums and of course it went nowhere, as the purchase of a physical object had been made and was now the property of the consumers. We're at a tipping point here with digital media subverting entire markets and new precedents being set with proprietary devices like iPod and the like attempting to force consumption of rented or vitrually non-existant items, the consumer gets "something" but truly owns nothing!

• Ka
      11th of Apr, 2011

I ordered and paid for a book with amazon and never received it. Billing date was march 13th

• Mo
      11th of Apr, 2011

Was it Amazon or one of the sellers thru Amazon? I've been ordering books from Amazon for years but I did have the same problem as you did just recently. They have a process you go through were they facilitate the communication between you and the seller. I did this and was refunded almost immediately. Just go on Amazon and look for the link...maybe the "where's my stuff" prompt, I don't recall how I started the process, but you'll see it on there. I love Amazon!

• Po
      12th of Apr, 2011

Mollie is correct. Dispute it with Amazon and/or the seller.

• Mo
      18th of Oct, 2011

I purchased two videos from MovieJukebox. Both were obvious bootlegs. The newest Bootlegger to hit Amazon is Rentalvidsr, This crook has 1300 of the same videos continuously listed. Funny thing is, each month they sell over 1000 videos, yet continue to have the same 1300 very hard to find out of print listed. Reading through there feedback... every 10-15th feedback claims they received a bootleg video, yet Amazon does nothing about it.

• Do
      14th of Apr, 2012

Moviejukeboxreplay continues to sell the same vhs tapes over and over. They are all illegal bootleg copies. I know... I have purchased a bunch of them. I'm an expert on detecting bootleg copies. I've been in the video business over 20 years. This guy... Leslie Gocza is a crook. He has hundreds of complaints against him, yet Amazon does nothing about it.

• Iv
      23rd of Feb, 2016

It's funny to me that the person who left that negative feedback claimed to be contacting the FBI. I'm sorry but there's no way they give a crap about a bootleg VHS of an obscure movie from 40 years ago.