Altmans Winnebago - Carson, CA / Unsafe tires

Altmans Winnebago - Carson, CA
www.altmans.com

I purchased a used motorhome from Altman's in Carson Ca. It is a 2001 Coachman 28' Mirada. On my first trip, about 90 miles one way, I experienced an extreme shimmy almost losing control of the vehicle. I took it to a local rv repair shop to have a steering stabilizer installed. They informed me that all of the tires were badly checked and split and should be replaced. After I said they looked good to me, they pointed to the fact that all of the deterioration was on the insides. The tires had been changed around so the deterioration was on the insides and not readily visible. I immediately purchased new tires (from a tire store} and called the Altmans dealership. I pointed out that I understood that the purchase was "as is, where is", but this was a case of road worthiness and someone was neglectful on the prep. work before the rv went on sale. I asked if they could help with some of the replacement expense. I could tell by the sales person's attitude they were going to resist. They said they would call me back. Its been a month and I haven't heard from them. I haven't followed up because it would only end up in frustration. The rv I had prior to this one, I purchased from Stiers in Bakersfield. It was also used. There was a problem with the suspension that was undetected prior to my purchase. When I spoke with the rep. at Stiers, with out hesitation ,he gave me the name of a repair shop in my area and paid the whole bill. It was rather expensive. With this experience I will always give Stiers Kudos and Altmans Boos.

Comments

• Pe
      3rd of Oct, 2007

I have been a customer of Altmans for years (Carson and Colton) and have only had excellent experiences in both sales and service. When buying an RV or any vehicle "as is" why should the seller have to fix or replace anything? Alternatively, a buyer always has the option of buying "certified used" with a warranty or purchasing a policy separately but if the dealer makes no warranty and the buyer accepts those terms, there should not be any expectations that the dealer has any responsibility for any maintenance. Just my opinion but I don't think Altmans deserves a negative rating based on the information provided.

• Ni
      5th of Jun, 2009

I must say that I strongly disagree with the negative comments given by the gentleman who claims to have purchased an RV with unsafe tires. I have been a customer of Altman's for years (since Van Nuys store) and have always received truly excellent service. The entire staff goes to great lengths to make sure I fully understand the "fine print" and am able to select a level of service I am comfortable with before signing my name on the dotted line. Many times, in an effort to pay bottom dollar, buyers select the "as is" option and when problems surface, expect someone else to pick up the tab for their poor decision. If you were so happy at the other mentioned RV dealership, I question why you didn't purchase your RV there in the first place? Sorry Charlie, no sympathy here, you got what you paid for and I bet it was a darn good deal at that! - Nina Sherwood, Granada Hills

• Ti
      18th of May, 2011

An inverter that was replaced as being bad but the inverter manufacturer tested as good, turned out to be the battery temperature sensor, a $29 part. About $1500 down the drain. Water heater diagnosed as needing parts and while under warranty, got charged for the parts and labor. Water heater didn't work the day leaving Altman's. Said they repaired a water leak, very next rain a few days later the leak is worse than before they "fixed" it. Someone else had to fix everything Altman's said they fixed. All in all, things worse than the day the motorhome was taken there. I guess when you are getting ready to close down, shaft the customer and take their money. If theyw ould have said they were closing a few months ago I'd have not gone there. Karma.