Alphapack K-9 / Unethical breeder

1 Barrhead, Alberta, Canada Review updated:

We purchased a German Shepherd puppy from this breeder in June, 2015. Our puppy, who is a member of our family and we love completely, has been diagnosed with perianal fistulas, which is an autoimmune hereditary disease. This disease almost exclusively affects German Shepherds and will require expensive care to keep my dog healthy for the rest of his life. With steroids and a special (very expensive) diet, my dog can be a normal, happy dog. When I contacted the breeder to see if this disease was something covered under their health guarantee, he told me it was, so I'm more than welcome to give him back my dog to be destroyed and he'll give me a new puppy. I asked for a refund, minus any expenses they paid (shots, CKC registration, etc) and was informed they only destroy and replace dogs, never give cash refunds. I told him that was very unethical and he called me a scam artist. I have bred dogs before and have never hesitated to give my customers a full refund if their dog had hereditary health issues. Destroying and replacing dogs because they're not perfect is completely unethical and heartless and I sincerely hope this post will prevent other people from buying from this breeder. I can only blame myself for not reviewing their health guarantee policy before purchasing from them but I definitely won't make that mistake again.

Re
Jan 14, 2016

Comments

• Lv
      24th of Feb, 2016

I was the one that submitted this complaint. This website won't let me remove it so I would like to say that after many discussions, the breeder has agreed to amend his policy so that dogs that have illnesses that are not fatal can stay with their owner and the owner will just get a refund. It's a much more ethical policy and I'm glad they agreed to change it.