Alpha Products International, Inc. / Extreme Scooters / Lawsuit!

1 208 N 2nd Ave WUnited States Review updated:

I am another victem of extreme scooters and decided to fight back. I have filed against the go! Store in ohio who is the virtual store brokering the deal for a $944.00 piece of junk for $5000,00 in small claims court in california. Additionally i have filed against alpha products international, inc. Domiciled in iowa for $7,500. Both plus court costs.
You too can fight back. File against them in small claims.
Note the attached news paper article:

Customers, state complain about newton scooter seller
In 3 years, hundreds call service poor; company says number is actually low

By bonnie harris by bonnie harris
Register business writer

July 10, 2007

Newton, ia. - the iowa attorney general's office says it can do little to help dozens of consumers who have complained about a newton-based company that sells electric scooters.

Consumers say they have received faulty products, poor customer service and unsatisfactory warranty relief from x-treme scooters, which lists itself as a "sub company" of alpha products international.

The attorney general's office has received three to four consumer complaints a month during the last 36 months, spokesman bob brammer said. The state's better business bureau has received 128 complaints in the same time period.

Because the company sells its products using the internet, nearly all of the complaints have been from customers in other states, brammer said. They center largely on product performance and customer service issues - not consumer fraud, he said, which prevents the attorney general's office from doing much more than referring people to the federal trade commission and the consumer products safety commission.

"at this point, even though i'm convinced that the consumers have a legitimate dispute, we haven't been able to take much action because there doesn't appear to be outright fraud being committed by the company," brammer said. "it's just very troubling that their customer service seems so poor and disputatious. Clearly people are frustrated here."

Greg meske, vice president of x-treme scooters, said the number of consumer complaints is actually extremely low given that the company sells about 50,000 scooters and electric bikes each year. He said about one-quarter of the company's 19 employees are dedicated to customer service. "i'm not saying we don't have any problems, but ... It's an extremely low number," meske said. "we do try to make sure the customer is taken care of."

Martin montague, 51, a flight instructor in el monte, calif., said he has filed multiple complaints against x-treme scooters after purchasing an $800 scooter for his stepson in late january. The scooter arrived as advertised within a few days, already assembled, but it broke down a few weeks later. He said his stepson had been using it for a 3-mile commute to and from work.

"now i have an $800 boat anchor sitting in the garage," montague said. "they sent me replacement parts for a completely different bike, the wrong bike, and now they refuse to take it back and refund the money. I thought iowans were supposed to be good people. What's happening here?"

Meske said x-treme scooters shipped an electric bicycle to montague on feb. 3. The company received a call from him may 7 reporting a flat tire, which is not covered under the warranty, meske said.

The company sent a tire for the wrong model, which montague "was extremely upset about," meske said.

"we did our best to resolve the situation," he said. "he was already 60 days out of the warranty, and we gave him the parts for free."

Meske said x-treme scooters does not make direct refunds to customers because the products are sold through about 300 online dealers.

"we are a wholesale company," meske said. "the transaction is between the customer and the dealer."

Chris coleman, president of the iowa better business bureau, said his agency has received 66 complaints about x-treme scooters in the last year - a record that's considered "unsatisfactory" by the bureau. Of the 128 complaints in the last three years, 20 remain unresolved, and seven have gotten no response from the company.

The bureau closed 54 of the complaints even though "consumers remained frustrated" because it determined x-treme scooters had made a reasonable attempt to resolve them, coleman said.

"i would be concerned about a company of that size having 128 complaints in 36 months," he said. "it's significant enough. We're concerned enough about this that we began working with the (Attorney general's) office."

Reporter bonnie harris can be reached at [protected] or boharris@dmreg.com

Comments

St
  25th of Aug, 2007
Alpha Products Intl - Full refund promised. Only 50% given

I made an error on line with a purchase of a scooter. I contacted the company immediately and was assured that things would be corrected. The company has a no return policy, but because the cancellation was made within seconds of the order, they made an exception....or claimed that they would. I was told to refuse shipment of the product, and after I did they billed me 50% of the cost of the scooter for shipping and restocking. I was clear that if there were any charges, I would try something else, but they asked for the product back, and still charged me over $100 for nothing!!!!

Bs
  21st of Aug, 2008

This machine is looks like a nice product. It has the potential to be. But the reality is that it is a total piece of junk. The unit received will not run (afte the battery was removed for charging) or charge (when the battery is installed normally), the 'trunk' does not line up with the rear rack, not to mention that there is damage from the assembly process at the factory, and no threads for the right side mirror.

Bs
  21st of Aug, 2008

OH yeah, I forgot to mention: $774 peice of junk. And forget about trying to make a warranty claim, they will not respond to any concerns.

Da
  28th of Aug, 2008

I bought a XG499 for my son's 17th birthday. The scooter came partially assembled. The rear tire was not pumped up. Yes you could say simply pump it up but with these things you have to diassemble the whole back tire not only that the intertube was defected. I had to purchase a new intertube that took more than three weeks to come. Once I received the intertube I had to take it to a bike shop and pay to have it put on. So I was out more money. Then when we got it together the chain kept coming off. So now I have to take it to a repair shop to have it fixed which is more money. My son has never gotten a chance to ride this bike and the warranty ran out 30 dys after purchase. THESE PEOPLE ARE A BIG SCAM. You can't eve get a rep on the phone not to mention to get repair information from them you have to email them and wait for a response.

Ja
  5th of Aug, 2009
alpha product international - electric scooter
alpha product international
Newton
Iowa

sold me 2 faulty bikes in 2 years please help me.