Alltel / unauthorized access billing!

1 Eagle River, WI, United States Review updated:

I signed a two year contract for two cell phones with Alltell in September 2007. Starting in October 2007 I was charged $9.99 a month for something called Ringaza. I didn't order or authorize what ever this is, and I don't even know what it is. The charges continued through January 2008. On February 21, 2008 I was charged $1.99 for an Axcess Web Day Pass. In March 2008 I was charged $9.99 for Trivia Alert and another $9.99 for Game Alert.

I spoke with Alltel and they told me they were not responsible for outside company charges. Hello, they were on my Alltel bill. I know they don't just collect for other companies for free. If they were that "big hearted" they would protect their customers from these scamming companies and reimburse us for all the unauthorized charges they are billing us.
I have been doing business with AT&T (Cingular) since 1995 and I have never had this problem. I know I'm not the only one out there being scammed. Maybe we should all file a lawsuit against them? I'm not exactly sure how to go about that, but I am going to contact an attorney. If anyone has had any luck being reimbursed and stopping these charges, please advise me.

Thanks,
Sheri.

Sh

Comments

• Ro
      8th of Nov, 2006
    Alltel - Mobile phone leader cover problem

I had the misfortune to need to replace a protective cover for my Altel cell phone and entered the altel office in Sarasota on 10/17/06. I found the item I needed but there were 4 customers ahead of me and only two employees to handle the their needs. A fight nearly broke out between two men over who was next. Finally, after waiting 50 minutes, a third employee came out and took about 10 minutes to set up her desk. I was next and her indifference and cold attitude made me realize that maybe my wife and I and our inlaws might end our 18 year relationship with Altel. We have a contract but it will run out at which time I think we will take our business elsewhere.

Ron

Creston
    Ohio
    Phone: 330-201-3263
    www.ringtonetimes.com

I did not subscribe to this CSW Jokes and I will not pay for it I do not want it on my bill. Please take it off or action will be made.

• Je
      3rd of Mar, 2008
    AllTel
    Conover
    North Carolina
    Phone: 8283101834
    www.myspace.com

Was sent this telling me my friend had sent me something and now i am getting charged 4 something that i want removed!

26th of Apr, 2008

I got a text message saying my CSW Subscription had been renewed. I didn't have a subscription to start with. I emailed, and called the company, and I havent heard back yet. Aparently, alot of people have had this problem, something needs to be done!

• Sh
      2nd of May, 2008

I filed a complaint online with the Better Business Bureau, and they contacted Alltel. Alltel immediately contacted them and Alltel agreed to refund all of my money. Just like that. I guess, since so many people check with the BBB before they do business with a company. Apparently large companies don't like to have them give bad reports out to potential customers. I recommend everyone register a complaint with them. Good luck!

21st of Jul, 2008

My boyfriend has a prepaid phone with Alltel I went online to put $20 onto his phone 5/20/2008. I noticed at that time you could sign up for automatic replenishment, which I DID NOT sign up for!! The only thing I gave Alltel the ok for was the $20 payment since then on these following dates Alltel has taken $10 plus tax = $10.70 for an automatic replenishment.

June 6, 11, 16, 21, 26
    July 1, 3, 7, 9

That is over $100 in charges that Alltel was not authorized to charge onto my account. When speaking with customer service they kept telling me that I didn't have enough funds in my bank account to credit it. Which made absolutely no sense to me what so ever. I asked for a phone # so I can speak with someone in their finance dept. the only thing that they gave me was a PO Box to Corporate headquarters. After so much of my time wasted time and headaches I finally called and spoke with a manager at a local Alltel retailer where I live, explained the situation I was just wanting a phone # to someone that is higher up in the company than a shift supervisor at customer service. About 20 mins. later the Manager called me back and said that there was a misunderstanding between me and customer service what they were trying to tell me is that there was not enough funds on the Alltel phone acct to be able to refund the charges. They're trying to tell me that since the $ put onto the phone has already been used that they can't go and refund the bank account now. ALLTEL WAS WAS ONLY AUTHORIZED TO CHARGE MY BANK ACCOUNT IN THE AMOUNT OF $20. SO NOW I GUESS THEY THINK THAT ITS OK FOR THEM TO GO AND CHARGE HOWEVER MUCH THEY WANT TO AT ANY GIVEN TIME AND YOUR JUST BASICALLY SOL CUZ THE $ HAS ALREADY BEEN USED ON THE PHONE.

• Br
      30th of Jul, 2008
    AllTel
    Paragould
    Arkansas
    Phone: 870239308
    www.alltel.com

Continuous calls from alltell about ajc cooper. Whom i don't know and i have no connection with alltell and i please want these calls stopped. I get about 4 automated calls a day from alltell. It is really annoying.

• To
      20th of Aug, 2008

This sort of practice is apparently becoming an industry standard. I have AT&T and suddenly saw a $15.00 charge show up for something we absolutely didn't sign up for, etc. We cannot even tell what it is actually. The AT&T customer dis-service employee response was "Well sometimes people type in the wrong cell number and the billing goes to the wrong person." WTH?!!! So, you are essentially exposed to any scammer that sets up a company and starts hammering cell numbers randomly!!! And, as Sheri mentioned, give me a break that they have no relationship with these companies since they collect funds. I'm off to the BBB.

Regards

• Ti
      26th of Sep, 2008

I paid my alltell bill over the phone (automated). The next day, I had forgotten that I'd paid it and did it a sedcond time. Directly after hanging up, I realized that I had already paid my bill the previous night. So, I called Alltell's "customer support"...I explained to him what had happened. He told me that it's no big deal, to just let my bank know that the second one coming through was a mistake. I notified my bank- no big deal. After a month went by and I finally noticed mt account was drained, I received my bank statement... Alltell had attempted to retrieve the same payment FOUR additional times after already taking out the initial payment. That's over $100 in bounced checks! Alltells' mngr. informed me that unless I still had the name and employee ID # of who I'd spoke w/, then there was nothing they were going to do about it b/c that meant that that conversation never took place!! Two mos. later, I again pd my bill over the phone. I later received a call from an Alltell rep. who told me my payment was late. I informed her I already paid it. she argued, I argued-we ended up in a screaming match. I told her how alltell had already screwed me over and I wasn't allowing that B.S. again. She informed me of the pleasure it was going to be of hers to call me in a wk. to asssess my late charges. I said -LOL- Okay! Funny thing, I never heard bk from her!

• St
      8th of Oct, 2008

the charges were the result of you downloading somthing on your phone. Why wouldn't you be responsable. You probable blame the gas station for the taxes you pay on a gal of gas. Suck it up, take responsability, and move on with your life!!

• Du
      23rd of Mar, 2009
    Alltel
    North Carolina
    alltel.com

Alltel changed my plan after i called but i still got charged for every minute i talked even though they said it would change right then

• Mi
      9th of Aug, 2009
    Alltel t
    alltel.com

False advertisement. Alltel tells you they have nation wide coverage, but they fail to tell you that you can still be charged with roaming charges. There is no federal regulations so they can and will deceive you with every loop hole they can find.

• Do
      18th of Aug, 2009
    Alltel - Being charged for a defective phone
    Alltel
    Wisconsin

I recently purchased an upgrade through alltel after being with the company for two years. After recieving the phone, and spending about three hours on the phone with customer service trying to activate it, I was informed that the phone was defective and I would have to return it. When I was transfered to someone to help me with returning and getting a replacement for the defective phone the representative told me that even though I was just getting a replacement, (of the same exact phone I was returning), and I had already been charged for the purchase of the defective phone, I was going to be charged for the replacement, and that the charge was going to be at retail price ($140 more than I had been initially charged to purchase the phone that was defective). He said that I would be refunded the retail price for the phone, but that it would take one to two months for the credit to show on my bill. Therefore, I would have to pay for the replacement, in order to keep my service active, and wait for them to credit my account. I chose to just return the phone and am planning on switching providers. Why should I have to pay the company to replace their defective equipment and wait for them to return my money one to two months later. Especially when the cost of the replacement is almost six times the price of the original amount, even though it's the same exact product!

• St
      1st of Sep, 2009

I just filed a complaint with the FCC. I think everyone should do this everytime these charges show up on you cell bills for services not requested. We had a charge for my Mom's cell phone for $9.99 Access charge from a company called General Texting website www.generaltexting.com. This seems unlawful to apply charges without consent. These cell phone providers need to stop charging for third party services that they say they cannot control. They must be getting some sort of a kickback on these charges??? Please report them...

• Da
      13th of Oct, 2009

I was charged $9.99 for something I did not order on my Verizon bill by general texting Please give credit.73288

• Da
      13th of Oct, 2009

will wait for your answer

• Bk
      14th of Oct, 2009

I too have been charged a $9.99 fee from GeneralTexting.com. When I was getting ready to go on vacation I was googling the weather there and this website came up. I checked it out and it asked for my cell phone number. I realize now I shouldn't have entered it but didn't realize what it would do. I text them the message STOP to the 73288 number and their website says I am unactive. I did that on 9/2/09 and just got my bill for September with the $9.99 charge still on there. So, I am guessing they were able to ding me one more month because of the stop date. So, if October comes around and still being charged I will be complaining. I agree, this is fraud because I was tricked and never agreed to any charges. The 866 number on their site is a little odd too because you never talk to a real person and their Customer Service people are all busy...yeah right.

I have learned my lesson and won't enter my cell number anywhere again. I do plan on turning this company in to BBB too.

• Fl
      4th of Jan, 2010

alltel does not just put these charges on your account, you have to subscribe to it somehow from rather putting your phone number in online or txting to a five or six digit shortcode opting you into their monthly subscription, it's a third party company that sends you txt alerts, which i'm sure the customer service rep that you spoke to informed you. if you didn't do it then someone else got a hold of your phone and did it. i have had a cellphone going on six years and have never had this on MY bill

• Ca
      23rd of Feb, 2010
    Alltel - Contract Complaint
    South Carolina

I receive extremely poor service in my home. I have many dropped calls and my phone is unusable in certain roms of my house. I called Alltel and was told a trouble ticket would be opened and that I would hear something in no more than 14 days. At the completion of the 14 days with no resolution I was told they meant 14 BUSINESS days. Well after that passed, I was then told that it was an engineer issue and they were very busy so, I would get addressed when they could get to it.
    What males it so frustrating is that I have to ill children one with a mechanical heart valve and one with severe asthma. My son was ambulanced to the emergency room from school two weeks ago, and my phone never received the call. I've paid my bill on time for two years yet Alltel refuses to address my problem or let me out of my contract, even when they are obviously at fault.

• Ly
      19th of Mar, 2010

This is crap...I just found out I have been gettting charged from general texting for 9.99 also. Why is alltel allowing this to happen to their customers. These are unsolicited texts and I simply ignored the texts. Alltel told me I would have had to reply "yes" TWICE to their texts, but I never did. They reluctantly agreed to credit my money back. What is in it for alltel to allow these third party services to do business thru them? Something very fishy going on. My next stops are FCC, States Attorney, and Better Business.