Alltel / national freedom plan is not what they say it is!

We have been customers with Celluarone for years then of course Alltel buys them out and we have had nothing but problems since. We changed to the "National Freedom Plan" back in November. This is pretty much no roaming, no long distance etc. In certain areas we could chance getting roaming charges, but we were explained those would be in very remote places. For the last approx. 3 months every month we have been charged roaming in area that we go to on a regular basis, have always made phone calls from and never charged before! Then when I call to dispute it they don't even care about your concerns. They are nothing but rude and when trying to find a number to put a formal complaint in, well that is IMPOSSIBLE! We can drive all the way from Colorado to Florida and no roaming anywhere, but we go about 75 miles from our home we get charged. Then we travel to DENVER which we go to on a regular basis and all of the sudden we have $20 worth of roaming in Denver even though we were just there a couple weeks or so before and did not get roaming charges. EXPLAIN THAT ALLTEL?? Another thing is that they cannot do anything about the roaming charges (which is a bunch of poop), but it is o.k. for our phones to be "SEARCHING FOR NETWORK" yesterday for Five hours and we were unable to use our phone service which we pay for, and they in no way try to make that right either! ALLTEL is a RIP OFF and I will proceed until I find the access to make a formal complaint rather dealing with these rude customer service people!

Comments

• Mi
      29th of Mar, 2008

Alltel's national freedom plans allow for free roaming as long as you are paying attention to your roam indicator on your phone. No cellular company has complete coverage across the nation... FCC regulation prohibit that. Therefore, Alltel roams with Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, Cellular South, and AT&T (in the CDMA west only) to give customers nearly complete coverage. All of the above carriers also do this- this is nothing new. If you are not on one of these networks at the time, then your phone will display the appropriate roaming indicator-- a solid R or solid triangle at the top of your screen, meaning that you will be charged for using your phone in such area. Therefore, you, as the consumer, are responsible for watching your roam indicator when you are in an unfamiliar area. The fact that you made no mention of a roaming indicator tells me that you weren't paying attention to it... so, by what you've said, the charges seem valid to me.

I can tell you from experience that when many people are initiating service with Alltel, they are too busy looking at their new phone to listen to what the representative is telling them. People kill me when they claim they weren't informed of things when they got service. First of all, it is impossible for Alltel, or any other company for that matter, to inform you of every possible microscopic thing you need to know. If they compiled it into a book, you wouldn't have read it anyway. If people would spend less time tending to their neighbor's business, and tend to their own... meaning, start investigating your wireless service and get to know what you can and cannot do, then they would be much better off. I've been with Alltel for years and never had a problem. Grow up!

• Fr
      29th of Nov, 2008

I have been with alltel for about five years. First I had a prepaid phone, which worked ok... I live in kentucky and work in southwest virginia( one hour drive one way) so I have to have a phone service that I can depend on and can afford.. A friend recommended going with a contract phone, so I done that and had that phone almost 2 years and it died. To make a long story short, I decided to get a new phone and go with a family plan. All went good until I get my first bill...$200+ bucks...WOW...guess what ROAMING, after being told I would not have roaming charges...I sure didn't before...If this is how their plans work, I am definitely not interested...My individual plan never had roaming in my travel area or in my home area in kentucky...and now that I have a family plan, I have roaming...WHY????????????