Allstars Driving School / No refund of $260

1 5915 Pebble Creek DriveRocklin, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 916-663-6573

I contacted Allstars Driving School to get a refund of $260 on my credit card, or at least a partial refund, because my son could not get his permit to start driving because he failed the written test too many times. I am not going to continuously pay $28 to the DMV until he turns 18, which is not far away. By then, he will not have to go to driving school in order to get his permit. He did not get his permit after all, so it isn't as though they did anything. It includes 6 hours of behind the wheel driver Instruction, which he could not possibly do because he did not get his permit. I thought this was what I was paying for, not just for them to do some simple paperwork, that I could do myself, and spell correctly, at that! I think that anyone who uses this school should know this before they sign their child up, and I would never recommend a business that does not offer refunds under certain circumstances such as this.

Va

Comments

17th of Jul, 2008

The mother was told that there was a no refund policy at the time of signing up. In fact, it clearly states, "No Refund" on her receipt. The state requires a teenager to have a legal document that states that the student must be enrolled in a “behind the wheel” program before the DMV will allow the student to take the permit test. In which the customer willing admits that she used our legal document because she stated here that her child has taken the permit test several times. The customer alleges that the document had spelling errors, when in fact the DMV does not accept legal documents with spelling errors. Never the less, we spelt “NO REFUND” correctly. Allstars no refund policy is considered regular business practice used by major companies. For example, the airlines, I am sure that we have all experienced the airlines telling us that the flight is “non-transferable and non refundable.” The airlines would not issue a refund because the customer refuses to fly or produce a driver license to get on the flight. Considering that the customer is suggesting that she would not use or suggest that anyone use a company that does not have a refund policy, suggests that she would not fly half time. As well as she used one called the DMV. If the customer thinks she is right, why not ask the DMV for a refund since part of the cost she paid to the DMV was for the permit her son never got and a drive test the DMV never gave? It is NOT Allstars fault that the customer failed to use reasonable efforts to research Allstars policy before paying. Which the law requires her to do.

Therefore, Allstars categorically denies the allegation and is proud to still be remaining in good standing with the BBB for over 20 years.

25th of Jul, 2008

Dear John,

I was never told that there was no refund when I signed up with this driving school. That was my mistake for not asking more questions/doing more research, before choosing this particular school. I am not trying to get something for nothing. I never got anything to speak of. A piece of paper does not constitute paying $260 for. Yes, it does say no refund on the receipt which I received in the mail as part of a packet after I had already paid over the phone. I phoned the business with the intent of getting my money back and was then told of this policy and that it stated it on paper. Once again, my mistake for not doing a bit more research on this particular company. Yes, there actually is a grammar error on one of the pieces of paper in the packet from the school. It’s not a spelling error, my mistake, once again. You can’t use an analogy in a situation such as this. That is ridiculous, and besides, you are certainly not a large company. It would have been different if my son had used the driving school to take driving lessons, and then I asked for my money back. That would be unreasonable, to say the least. This, however, is a different story. How much did it cost you to fill out these forms, one was for certificate of enrollment in drivers training, and the other was for certificate of completion of classroom driver education? $260? I don’t think so. FYI, I have done business with many large companies over the years and not one of them has that sort of policy. I just want my money back and I will do whatever it takes to get it back, legal of course. I will never, ever use the services of a company again that has this kind of a policy. This is utterly ridiculous and I don’t see how they have been in business this long if this is how they treat their unhappy customers. I have written numerous complaints on this company since this has happened and I am taking them to small claims court, because I am determined to get my money back in the end. I feel that I have been ripped off and I would not suggest this or any company that does not offer refunds in situations such as this.
    P.S. FYI, here is the grammar mistake...It is on the colored piece of paper stapled to the receipt and business card sent to me in the mail after I had already paid over the telephone after viewing the website.
    The recorder is equipped with a time and date stamp and all calls our logged at the time and date that the message was left.
    It should read: The recorder is equipped with a time and date stamp and all calls are logged at the time and date that the message was left.
    Maybe you can have one of your well qualified office clerks make a note of that and fix it.

30th of Jul, 2008

The customer is simply being less than truthful with you and we can prove it! The customer entered a complaint on another online service where she is quoted saying

“I had already paid over the telephone AFTER viewing the website.”

Well, the No Refund policy is clearly posted in big read letters on our website
    since 1994 at www.allstarsdriving.com. Anyone here can view it for themselves where it clearly states:

““PLEASE NOTE: We have a NO REFUND POLICY”

At any rate, this is Allstars official response:

1. It is readily apparent that the customer has no understanding of the law.
    The law stipulates that Allstars must use “reasonable and fair business practices”. Allstars has a legal obligation to prove this. So Allstars used a process that is used in court to establish the fact. Which a judge would expect Allstars to use an analogy that would display that Allstars policies are considered reasonable and fair business practice. Therefore, your statements such as “You can not use an analogy in a situation such as this.” or “That is ridiculous, and besides, you are certainly not a large company. ”is totally unsubstantiated by the facts. Let the record show that the Allstars Rocklin office is ONE of the Allstars branches in the state of California. Allstars is corporate run driving school and considered one of the biggest driving schools in Northern California. The customers statements are simply unsubstantiated by the facts.

2. In regards to Allstars No Refund Policy:

1. Let the record show that you willingly admit that it is “my mistake for
    not doing a bit more research on this particular company.” Which the
    law requires you to do.

2. That you indeed received a packet that had a receipt that
    stated “No Refund” and a LEGAL document that stipulated that your
    son was enrolled in six hours. Let the record show that you did not
    call Allstars and complain about the NoRefund appearing on the
    receipt, but opted to go forward and use the Legal
    document so that your son could take the permit test. Allstars has
    no way of really knowing if a student actually got the permit or not.
    If we gave refunds, customers would abuse our service by using our
    legal document and then saying they did not get the permit. When
    they might have. Regardless, Allstars has a NO REFUND POLICY.
    Allstars has never stipulated that we would give a refund if the
    customer could not pass the permit test. However, Let the record
    show that you complained about the No Refund policy only after
    your son failed the permit test.

3. You have stated on various online services that you yourself could
    have filled out this document. Let the record show that this was a
    DMV legal document that only a driving school could fill out.
    Therefore, your claims are simply not substantiated by the facts.

3. Spelling Error on Legal Document: Let the record show that you stated “Yes,
    there actually is a grammar error on one of the pieces of paper in the packet
    from the school. It is not a spelling error, my mistake, once again. “ We
    would appreciate it if you would get your facts straight before you start
    slandering our business on line. Which is illegal and Allstars stands ready to
    pursue any and all legal remedies afforded to us by the law.

4. Let the record show that your statement “How much did it cost you to fill out
    these forms, one was for certificate of enrollment in drivers training, and the
    other was for certificate of completion of classroom driver education? $260?”
    establishes that Allstars provided you with two certificates.

1. A COMPLETION certificate for the drivers Ed online: Important to
    mention that a completion certificate implies you completed our
    online course. So you used our service.
    2. A behind the wheel enrollment certificate. Which stipulated that you
    were enrolled in six hours of driving.

Both certificates were provided by Allstars as agreed. Your question about the
    price should have been asked before you purchased the product. Not after.

5. You stated “I just want my money back and I will do whatever it takes to get
    it back, legal of course.”: Let the record show that you have indeed
    done “whatever it takes”. You have told lies and are now abusing the legal
    system as a way to bully Allstars into giving you a refund. It is readily
    apparent you do not understand the law. The court will not issue you a
    refund because your son can not pass the permit test. There is also no law
    that would support the judge giving you a refund simply because you
    changed your mind or do not think the charge is fair. It is Allstars position
    that the judge will see your legal action as frivolous (which is illegal) and a
    waste of the courts time. The questions the judge will be asking are as

1. Does Allstars have a No Refund Policy? Yes.
    2. Was the customer made aware of Allstars No Refund Policy? The
    customer willingly admits in her statement that “FYI, here is the
    grammar mistake...It is on the colored piece of paper stapled to the
    receipt and business card sent to me in the mail after I had already
    paid over the telephone after viewing the website.” Well, the No
    Refund policy is clearly posted in big read letters on our website
    (www.allstarsdriving.com) stating “PLEASE NOTE: We have a NO
    REFUND POLICY” For the record, the customer has willingly admitted
    that she indeed viewed the website before paying.
    3. Does Allstars meet the requirements of the law in posting it? Yes
    4. Did the customer use reasonable efforts in researching the
    companies policies? No
    5. Is Allstars refusing the customer service as agreed? No. The
    customer is refusing to produce the permit number they agreed to, in
    order to schedule the driving lessons.

6. The customer stated “This is utterly ridiculous and I do not see how they have
    been in business this long if this is how they treat their unhappy customers.”
    The customer is refusing to accept our good customer service. She simply will
    not produce a permit number so that we can service her. Which is her
    obligation to do so. The customer would have you believe that good customer
    service is Allstars allowing her to make false allegations about our company
    without an official response. This is unfair and potentially liable. Allstars will
    not be bullied by a potentially disgruntled customer who is threatening to
    slander our name online. Therefore, for the record Allstars categorically denies
    the allegations.

Allstars has answered all the questions the customer has posted here. However the cutomer refuses to answer our questions.

1. Will the customer be asking the DMV for a refund for the $28? I ask this
    because the fee included a permit her son never received and a drive test
    they never gave.

2. Will the customer be taking the DMV to court if they do not give her a refund?

3. The customer still stands by her statement that she will never use a service
    that has a no refund policy. Does that mean that she will never renew her
    drivers license or car registration?. Does that mean her son will never receive
    his license because the DMV has a no refund policy?

4. Threat Or Court: The customer suggests that the court is going to rule a
    refund based on her emotional argument. This is ridiculous and silly. Not to
    mention a huge waste of the courts time. The court can not issue a refund if
    Allstars is following the law with posting a No Refund policy. The court will rule
    according to the law and evidence. Which the only evidence the customer is
    bringing to court is 1. that she read our website BEFORE she paid 2. Willingly
    admits that she failed to use reasonable research. The very two questions
    the court will use to decide the whole case. Never the less, Allstars can not
    stop the customer from abusing the legal system. Allstars will respond in the
    same manner that we have responded to the customers abuse on the web. It
    is abuse because the customer continues to say untrue things. The
    customer herself admits this several times by stating only "my mistake" once
    Allstars produces evidence to show the contrary. he customer must be
    advised that Allstars has made copies of all these false statements on line and
    will be filing a counter claim for slander. It is not the customers privilege to
    make false statements about a company online as a means to do damage to
    it's name. It is actually illegal.

In conclusion, nothing the customer has stated has changed our position. However, Allstars would like to take this opportunity to thank your webpage for allowing us to respond. Never the less, it does seem that it would be a little more fair if you contacted the company for a response. As you can see, the customer is not always right. This way a company can protect themselves from slanderous, untrue and hurtful statements.

John Wright

31st of Jul, 2008

Dear John,
    I did read the website and I was only concerned with the price and location since I am on a fixed income presently. Like I said earlier, I never have used the services of a company who did not give me a refund, so it never occurred to me to look for that policy. However, thanks to your company, I have learned my lesson, that's for sure. It sounds like this is not the first time someone has taken your company to court. First of all, I have absolutely nothing to hide by posting here and letting everyone know who I am. I don’t see how I am slandering your company. I even told the guy on the phone that I was starting to post on the internet and he asked what site and I told him. I am just stating the facts and I have every right to. There was a grammar error and I proved it, so go fix it and quit trying to go out of your way to say I lied to you. I said my mistake for the spelling error, instead of grammar error, but it is still an error, nonetheless. You think you know what is going to go on in court, you don't and I certainly don't. Every judge is different and I am not wasting anyone's time, but maybe yours. After all, this would never have happened if you had just refunded my money to me. I don't care if you have a no refund policy; it means absolutely nothing to me. As far as I am concerned, I wasted $260 and to me, that is a lot of money. My son never got his permit and I can prove it, I have saved all of the papers from DMV, your company, as well as all posting from your company and myself and will gladly produce them in court. If my son had received the behind the wheel driver training, then it would be a different story, but he did not, therefore you did nothing but push paper. The online test was a separate charge and as far as DMV is concerned, I am not asking for a refund because it’s only $28 and my son did take the test the maximum number of times, so I did get what I paid for, so to speak. I did not refuse to give you a permit number; my son did not get his permit, so I have no number, so he can not attend behind the wheel drivers training. That is what this is all about. I will keep this short and sweet so the readers don't get bored easily. Everyone I have talked to has said the same thing, that if my son had started the behind the wheel drivers training and for some unknown reason I decided to pull him out and ask for a refund, then it would be unfair and wrong to do so. You are right, I do not know the law, and I am not a lawyer, thank god. I have no expectations as to what is going to happen in court. This is the internet and I can say whatever I want as long as it follows the guidelines of the website. If you don't like what I am saying than either don't read it, or change your policy. Customers get angry with businesses, it happens all the time. That is part of running a business, don't you think? You have a good day and as long as you are reading and writing, just know that I am doing the same thing.

6th of Aug, 2008

The Customer Wrote:

Dear John,
    I did read the website and I was only concerned with the price and location since I am on a fixed income presently. Like I said earlier, I never have used the services of a company who did not give me a refund, so it never occurred to me to look for that policy. However, thanks to your company, I have learned my lesson, that's for sure. It sounds like this is not the first time someone has taken your company to court. First of all, I have absolutely nothing to hide by posting here and letting everyone know who I am. I don’t see how I am slandering your company. I even told the guy on the phone that I was starting to post on the internet and he asked what site and I told him. I am just stating the facts and I have every right to. There was a grammar error and I proved it, so go fix it and quit trying to go out of your way to say I lied to you. I said my mistake for the spelling error, instead of grammar error, but it is still an error, nonetheless. You think you know what is going to go on in court, you don't and I certainly don't. Every judge is different and I am not wasting anyone's time, but maybe yours. After all, this would never have happened if you had just refunded my money to me. I don't care if you have a no refund policy; it means absolutely nothing to me. As far as I am concerned, I wasted $260 and to me, that is a lot of money. My son never got his permit and I can prove it, I have saved all of the papers from DMV, your company, as well as all postings from your company and myself and will gladly produce them in court. If my son had received the behind the wheel driver training, then it would be a different story, but he did not, therefore you did nothing but push paper. The online test was a separate charge and as far as DMV is concerned, I am not asking for a refund because it’s only $28 and my son did take the test the maximum number of times, so I did get what I paid for, so to speak. I did not refuse to give you a permit number; my son did not get his permit, so I have no number, so he can not attend behind the wheel drivers training. That is what this is all about. I will keep this short and sweet so the readers don't get bored easily. Everyone I have talked to has said the same thing, that if my son had started the behind the wheel drivers training and for some unknown reason I decided to pull him out and ask for a refund, then it would be unfair and wrong to do so. You are right, I do not know the law, and I am not a lawyer, thank god. I have no expectations as to what is going to happen in court. This is the internet and I can say whatever I want as long as it follows the guidelines of the website. If you don't like what I am saying than either don't read it, or change your policy. Customers get angry with businesses, it happens all the time. That is part of running a business, don't you think? You have a good day and as long as you are reading and writing, just know that I am doing the same thing.

Allstars Response:

I am continually amazed at this customers lack of understanding of the court system and it’s laws. She is treating the court system like it is Dr. Phill show that rules on emotional level. She suggests that having a different judge will change the existing law. Ridiculous! This is not the trial of the century here. Anyway, the customer needs to be advised that the court rules according to the law. This law has already been defined by case history in the courts. The customer is correct that each Judge is different, but totally disregards the fact that each Judge is following the SAME LAW. The customers statements only suggests that she has not used reasonable research of the law before filing this claim. The same attitude that the customer willingly admits she used in not researching Allstars policy. You would think she would have learned by now. Never the less, she falsely alleged here that she did not know about Allstars No Refund Policy. Yet she still has not explained for you why she stated that the certificate came in the mail with the receipt that she substantiated said “no refund” and then opted to use the certificate anyway. Once again, why didn’t she call before she used the certificate if she did not like the No Refund Policy? Basically because it only bothered her when her son did not pass his permit test over and over. This however is proof that she indeed knew about the No Refund Policy.

The customer has threatened to bring all the certificates to court. Allstars actually invites the customer to bring them. Basically because it establishes that Allstars gave her them as part of our service. It does not establish that she did not use them. Which really does not matter anyway. Basically because the Judge is only going to be concerned if we have our No Refund Policy posted. The customer has yet to produce anything other than the fact that Allstars has a No Refund Policy. Which the customer simply has no case and serves no legal threat to Allstars. The fact that she has filed a legal case against Allstars, does not mean she is right. It just means she is going to lose.

The customer is clearly wrong in regards to her statement that she can say whatever she wants on a website without legal responsibility. NO YOU CAN NOT! The customer has stated that she is not an attorney and this statement proves it. You may not threaten to do harm to a companies name if they do not give you a refund. Then follow up by posting things on a website that are proven to be not true. The customer has already established that they are not true with her statement “my mistake”. A mistake that the law makes her financially responsible for. Which important to mention that the customer only makes this “my mistake” response when Allstars produces evidence to the contrary. It is called slander and extortion and it is illegal. The customers statement that she will continue to say whatever she wants is simply irresponsible and stupid. Allstars highly suggests that the customer seek the advise of an attorney before making such a highly liable statements. Allstars has already advised the customer that it is our intent to file a counter claim for damages to our name. Damages that may exceed the amount that a small claims court can deal with. The customer is hereby ordered to cease and desist from making false allegations online as a means to do damage to our name. The customer also establishes for the court that she does not care if we have a no refund policy or about the law. She only cares about potentially wasting our time. Which is illegal and liable. Never the less, the customer has established for the court that this is her intent. Which is all we have to prove the Judge. Otherwise, Allstars will pursue any and all legal remedies. Which according to the law, may include punitive damages. Allstars will consider dropping our counter claim if the customer gives a public apology on this site for her false statements. Ones that she already acknowledged with “my mistake”. However, this spirit of cooperation will not be given if this apology does not come with no further delay.

Allstars categorically denies the customers allegation that we are always in court defending our no refund policy. Wrong again! Allstars has never been taken to court on any issue after servicing hundreds of thousands of students around the state of California since it was started in 1985. The customers suggestion is nothing other than another evidence her trying to do damage to Allstars name. Let the record show that Allstars owner was an attorney and knows how the court rules in regards No Refund Policy. So contrary to the customers claims, I do know what is going to happen in court that day.

In addition, let the record show the customers response does not deny the following:

1. That the student used our certificates to take the permit test
    2. That student took our online course
    3. That she intends to continue to use companies that have No Refund Policy
    4. That she was on Allstars website where the policy was posted.
    5. That she used the certificate AFTER receiving the receipt that states “No
    Refund.”

The customer would is potentially trying to mislead the public that she did not use our services. The customers own statements display that her son indeed used our online course and used our certificates to take his DMV test. Once again, Allstars is not refusing to schedule the students driving. The customer is refusing to obtain a permit to schedule the driving. Which she was fully aware she had to do from the beginning

The customer alleges that everyone has seen it her way. However, not according to the responses by the public on Ripoff.com. They actually support Allstars. In which Allstars would like to take this opportunity to thank the public for it’s support concerning this matter. I have read some of the comments on the site and was pleased to see that the public is on Allstars side. Something the customer obviously did not calculate when she tried to potentially mislead the public with false statements. Statements that Allstars proved that were false and the customers only response was “my mistake” several times. It is nice to know that the community supports the truth. Allstars takes pride in the fact that we have served the public for over 20 years with zero incident of inappropriateness ever reported with our instructors or our staff. Thank you for giving us the chance to tell our side and being fair in your judgment. I was deeply moved.

In conclusion, nothing the customer has said has changed our position at this time..

Owner

7th of Aug, 2008

Allstars was happy to see the following from the public:

Jessica
    Wahiawa, Hawaii

Correct
    The school is absolutely right. There is no way in the world a court would rule in your favor. Their policy was clearly stated. No rip off here. It looks like you're really angry at the wrong person. You should be more angry at your kid who can't even pass a simple test, even with mommy clearly blaming everyone but him because he's an idiot. ANYONE can pass the test. I think we're all probably better off that he's not on the road.

Lee
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Slow Learner
    Lets face it, your son is either a slow learner or not motivated to learn. As a teacher I have seen many similar cases. Parents usually blame anyone else for their offsprings shortcomings except the dull kid. He does not need to be on the road driving if he can.t pass a simple test.

Striderq
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vanessa...
    I understand your feelings on this situation. I worked for the Driver License office and dealt with many driving schools. The problem you would have in winning your case is that the school provided the service that you paid for. They gave your son the enrollment form so that he could attempt to pass the written test. if he had done this they would have provided the behind the wheel time. However, since your son did not pass the test, the school is in no way unreasonable for not giving you a refund. You purchased the enrollment form, they provided the enrollment form, they are not responsible for your son not bein able to complete the behing the wheel. You've stated that you're on a fixed income and yes this was money that was spent and didn't get the desired result, but I don't think any judge will find in your favor.

Jpeterson
    Marina Del Rey, Colorado
    The Test
    I have taken the test twice and never even opened the book and passed both times. Since I left the state and came back I had to retake it so I had a 4 year lapse & my wife did the same with no problems. You can pass the test with common sense and no classes. It would appear to me your son didn't really do the online class; instead he probably clicked until he got answers right just to get the certificate.

Atlanta Guy
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I agree
    There is not rip off here, unless you count the fact that this woman is trying to rip off the driving school. She would probably try to sue her local school system as well, because her kid failed due to lack of study. How ANYONE could fail a driving exam TWICE I don't know. As the above poster stated, it's all common sense. I have taken exams in several states through the years and NEVER had any problems. This woman needs to kick that kid in the pants and MAKE him study and stop blaming everyone else for the kid's stupidity. And it's true - the California driving exam is NOT that hard. Geeeezzzzz.

7th of Aug, 2008

The Customer Admits She Will Cointinue To Use A Service That Has A No Refund Policy
    No I will not continue to use a service that does not have a refund policy. Where did you get that idea? Even if I lose in court, my son will not be using your driving school. He will be 18 in six months and I will no longer be responsible for him. If at that time he chooses to go down to DMV and follow the steps that an 18 would take to get his license, then he will do so. It’s up to him in any case. You have misinterpreted what I am trying to say. I just wanted to clarify what I did say is all. As far as the $28 to DMV is concerned, I am not willing to pay it again, why should I after all? $28 is very little compared to $260, don’t you think? How much did it cost you to send paperwork to DMV?
    I am continually amazed at this customers lack of understanding of the court system and it's laws.
    True, I don’t know the court system or the laws. I am neither a lawyer nor a judge, thank god for that.
    She is treating the court system like it is Dr. Phill show that rules on emotional levels.
    I don’t know who Dr. Phil is and I have never stated that I thought the judge would rule in my favor because of my level of emotion. I did however state that I have no idea what is going to go on in court, and that I have no expectations one way or the other. It’s not up to me as to what the end result will be.
    She suggests that having a different judge will change the existing law.
    Once again, you are misinterpreting what I said. I never said that at all. What would be the point of that? I don’t think that I am in any position to say what a judge can/cannot do as far as an existing law.
    Ridiculous! This is not the trial of the century here.
    I agree with you about this not being the trial of the century, if it were, it would be news headlines after all. You are a small business owner and I am a dissatisfied customer, pretty ordinary every day events, if you ask me.
    Anyway, the customer needs to be advised that the court rules according to the law. This law has already been defined by case history. The customer is correct that each Judge is different, but totally disregards the fact that each Judge is following the SAME LAW.
    I never said the court would/would not rule according to the law. I wouldn’t expect anything more/less than anyone who follows the law. You are way off base here, because all I said was that every judge is different, and every case is different.
    I think that I followed all the instructions that were given to me by the woman over the phone and that she was well qualified to give me sound advice.
    The same attitude that the customer willingly admits she used in not researching Allstars policy. You would think she would have learned by now. Never the less, she falsely alleged that she did not know about our No Refund Policy.
    I did not know about your no refund policy. I stated that I did not read the part on the website where it says that. I was only concerned with price and location as I am a single parent on a fixed income. I only looked at the receipts after I called and asked for my money back. I already stated that was my mistake for not doing the research ahead of time. I would have never used your company if I had known that. Do you honestly think that you are the only driving school out there? There are many more, and I am sure that they don’t all have that policy. I don’t understand what you are saying. I am not going to ask for my money back from the court if I lose. Is that what you are saying? That’s a whole different ballgame, my friend. I totally disagree with you on that one. Your no refund policy is ridiculous in any case and I am challenging it if you haven’t figured it out by now. I have every right to given the circumstances. It’s really easy for you to just sit back and hide behind your no refund policy.
    She has also not explained in her response why she used the certificate after reading the receipt that said “no refund" on it. Once again, why didn't she call before she used the certificate when she got the receipt with the certificate?

Actually, I used it before I read the receipt that said no refund on it. At that point, I was not thinking that I was going to have to go that route at all. I took the two certificates to DMV like the lady on the phone told me to. He took the test the maximum amount of times and failed it each time and I was unwilling at that point to pay another $28 to the DMV. Instead I chose to have him wait until he is 18 in six months and do it on his own whatever way an 18 year old does it today.
    But let the record show that she indeed knew of our no refund policy before using our service.
    No, I did not know about your no refund policy before using your service, although I don’t feel that I actually did use your service. Your office assistant printed up two documents and told me to take them to DMV, actually my son did that. I just drove him to the DMV and issued them a check for $28 to take the permit test. I have already stated numerous times that I did not know about the no refund policy until I called the office to ask for one. I don’t feel that two certificates constitute paying $260 for. How much did it cost you to print these certificates and send them to me in the mail? The lady on the phone never told me there was a no refund policy when I paid over the phone. Yes, it is on the receipt like I said, but I only got that in the mail after I had paid.
    Basically it would only bother her when her son did not pass his permit test over and over. The customer has yet to produce anything as evidence for the court, other than the fact that Allstars has a No Refund Policy. Which means “No Refund". It does not mean “Refund if your child can not pass the permit test." Where is her common sense? The customer has threatened to bring all the certificates to court. Allstars actually invites the customer to bring them. Basically because it establishes that Allstars gave them to her as part of our service. It does not establish that she did not use them. Which really does not matter anyway. Basically because the Judge is only going to be concerned with the fact that our No Refund Policy posted. Therefore, the customer simply has no case and serves no legal threat to Allstars. The fact that she has filed a legal case against Allstars, does not mean she is right. It just means she is going to lose. Ignorance to our policy is no excuse and neither is ignorance to the law.
    If my son had passed the permit test, gotten his permit and actually used your driving school, then I would not have an issue. I haven’t threatened anything, they way that you say that I have. I simply said I have absolutely nothing to hide and I will bring all documents pertaining to this case with me just in case I should need them. I am not using my ignorance as an excuse and I will admit that I am not the smartest person around, that’s for sure. I am not in any position to make an excuse for my behavior/behaviors. If anything, I have learned a valuable lesson from all of this. Before using a service provider, pay close attention to what, if anything their refund policy is. I have learned my lesson believe me.

The customer is clearly wrong in regards to her statement that she can say whatever she wants on a website. NO YOU CAN NOT! The customer has stated that she is not an attorney and this statement proves it. The customer may not threaten to do harm to a companies name if they do not give her a refund. Then follow through with that threat by posting things on a website that are not true. The customer even willingly admits that the statements are not true with her response of “my mistake". A mistake that the law makes her liable for. However, it is important to mention that the customer only makes this “my mistake" response after Allstars produces evidence to the contrary. It is called slander and extortion and it is illegal. The customers statement that she will continue to say whatever she wants is simply irresponsible and stupid. Allstars highly suggests that the customer seek the advise of an attorney before making such a highly liable statement. Basically because Allstars has already advised the customer that it is our intent to file a counter claim for damages. Damages that may exceed the amount of small claims court. Therefore, the customer is hereby ordered to cease and desist from making anymore false statements. There is no room for “my mistake" after she has threatened our office to do damage to our name if we do not give her a refund. The customer needs to be advised that Allstars will pursue any and all legal remedies afforded to us by the law. Which according to the law and case history can include substantial punitive damages. Allstars will consider dropping our counter claim if the customer gives a public apology. As well as give us a list of any and all sites she has posted on.
    Once again, you have misinterpreted what I have said. My mistake which I admitted to was telling you one of the receipts I got from your staff had a spelling error, when in fact it had a grammar error. I have not lied in the way that you say and I have not threatened you or your company. This is a complaint site and I feel that I was ripped off. I also feel that your no refund policy is ridiculous and I am challenging it and I have every right to post both here and on other websites just as long as I am following the guidelines adhered to by the website and using my common sense, which believe it or not, I do have some. You seem to be the one who is doing the threatening. Do what you feel you have to do, I don’t care, because I know I have not broken any laws by posting here or elsewhere.

Allstars categorically denies the customers allegation that we are always in court defending our no refund policy. Wrong again! Allstars has never been taken to court on ANY issue after servicing hundreds of thousands of students around the state for over 20 years. However, Allstars owner was an attorney and knows how the law and how the court rules in regards No Refund Policy. So contrary to the customers claims, I do know what is going to happen in court that day.
    I did not say that you were always in court, I said you must have been down that road before, and that could be one time for all I know. It makes sense to me now. I guess I am the first idiot who has ever used your company and complained.

1. That the student used our certificates to take the permit test
    He had to, it’s the law remember.
    2. That student took our online course.
    That is a separate issue and nothing to do with the $260 that I paid. The online course was $35 and he passed it.
    3. That she intends to continue to use companies that have No Refund Policy
    No I will not, I will do my research if and when there is a next time that I use a service provider.
    4. That she was on Allstars website where the policy was posted.
    I already stated that I did not see it posted, but then again, I wasn’t looking for it either, my mistake, once again.
    5. That she used the certificate AFTER receiving the receipt that states “No
    Refund.".

Allstars was pleased that the customer finally answered the question in regards to if she would use the DMV again. As you can see, she was misleading the public to think that she would NEVER use a service again that has a no refund policy. The customer stated this in hopes that she would stop customers from coming to Allstars. But as you can see by her above response, she is simply not being truthful. Her statement about it only being $28 is totally contradicting to her original complaint that stated that she was not about to pay the $28 again to the DMV. Basically she lied.
    How did I lie? I paid $28 to the DMV and I got what I paid for. My son took the test and that was what I was paying for, not just a piece of paper. Just like I thought I was buying my son driving lessons for $260 and not just a couple of pieces of paper. Why don’t you tell me how much it cost you to print out those documents and send them to me/my son? How much did DMV charge you to use their documents? I am not trying to stop customers from coming to your driving school, but instead to warn them so that they don’t go through the same thing as I am/did. I still would not recommend your school to anyone I know. In fact, no one I know has the money to do that anyways, especially after I said that you can’t get a refund if you child does not pass the DMV test. No one wants to gamble like that anyways. I did and look where it got me.

Allstars would like to take this opportunity to thank the public for it's support concerning this matter. I have read some of the comments on the site and was pleased to see that the public is in support of Allstars on this matter. Something the customer obviously did not calculate when she posted her false and misleading statements. It is nice to know that the community supports the truth and realizes the customer is not always right. Allstars takes pride in the fact that we have served the public for over 20 years with zero incident of inappropriateness ever reported. Thank you for giving us the chance to tell our side and being fair in your judgment. I was deeply moved.

I did not post false and misleading statements and the customer is not always right, and neither are you for that matter. You have the advantage here as a former/current lawyer, I do not and do not pretend to know anything about the law in the way that you apparently do. I will see you in court, just like I told the gentleman on the phone.

8th of Aug, 2008

The customer is constantly contradicting herself. For Example she states the following:

Customer: “No I will not continue to use a service that does not have a refund policy. Where did you get that idea? “

Allstars Answer: Allstars got that idea from you when you above : “I will never, ever use the services of a company again that has this kind of a policy. “

The customer stated that she opted to continue to use the certificate after receiving the receipt that said “No Refund” because “He had to, it's the law remember.”

Allstars Answer: So the customer would have you believe that it was ok to use our certificate and then ask for a refund because her son did not pass the permit test. No he did not have to. However, she chose to USE our certificate even after she got the receipt stating NO REFUND. All the law requires Allstars to do is post our No Refund policy in our office. However Allstars has went above and beyond to notify the customer of our policy by posting it on the website where she admits she was at BEFORE she paid. On her receipt that came with the certificate that she decided to USE because “it’s the law remember.

The Customer: “Yes, I used the certificate after paying $260 for the certificate that cost you next to nothing to print out. How much did DMV charge you for that certificate, BTW?”

Allstars Answer: The DMV does not charge a driving school for the certificates. However, you must be a licensed driving school to order them. Which there are many costs involved to be a licensed driving school. For example:

One: Rent
    The DMV requires that we have a main office in San Jose and a branch in other locations. There is the cost of rent involved.

Two: Car Insurance
    You can only imagine how expensive it is for Allstars to maintain car insurance on a person under 25 who does not know how to drive. Never the less, the DMV requires that we have car insurance on all of our cars. Very Expensive.

Three: Car Inspections
    The DMV requires that our cars pass an inspection. There is a cost involved.

Four: Bond
    The DMV requires that we maintain a bond. There is a cost involved.

Five: License
    The DMV requires that we maintain an Operators license as well as Instructor license. There is a cost involved.

These are many other expenses involved, but these are just a few of them. So in retrospect, Allstars pays probably somewhere around $60, 000.00 a month to maintain our driving school license with the DMV. So the answer to her question is it costs us $60, 000.00 a month.to be able to order those certificates.

The Customer: “How did I lie? I paid $28 to the DMV and I got what I paid for. My son took the test and that was what I was paying for, not just a piece of paper”

Allstars Answer: The test is a piece of paper. Never the less, the charge included a permit her son never got and a drive test the DMV never gave. So she did not receive everything the $28 paid for. Why does she not ask for a refund from the DMV? Also the customer stated for the record “I will not continue to use a service that does not have a refund policy.” She has stated here that she will use one called the DMV. So her statement was not truthful.

The Customer: “Why don't you tell me how much it cost you to print out those documents and send them to me/my son?”

Allstars Answer: I have already answered this question. It cost Allstars $60, 000.00 a month.

The Customer: “Just like I thought I was buying my son driving lessons for $260 and not just a couple of pieces of paper.”

Allstars Answer: The customer paid for our service which included a legal document that stated that her son was enrolled in six hours. The customer also paid for the driving. Allstars is not refusing the customer the driving. The customer is refusing to produce a permit number so that we can schedule them.

The Customer: “I am not trying to stop customers from coming to your driving school”

Allstars Answer: The customers statement is clearly contradicting. She forget that the readers here are not dumb. She is indeed trying to stop people from coming to Allstars by telling lies. Which Allstars has proven over and over that her statements are less than truthful.

The Customer: “In fact, no one I know has the money to do that anyways, especially after I said that you can't get a refund if you child does not pass the DMV test. No one wants to gamble like that anyways. I did and look where it got me.”:

Allstars Answer: The customer is wrong again. Basically because there are actually not too many people that would gamble with their kid’s lives. Let face it, her son and the public would benefit from the student learning to drive from a driving school. Basically because the driving school teaches him how to drive defensively. I am sorry that she does not think her son or the public is not worth the money. This mother does not seem to get it. It is not about getting a permit or passing a test. It is about the safety.

The Customer: “I do not and do not pretend to know anything about the law in the way that you apparently do. I will see you in court, just like I told the gentleman on the phone”

Allstars Answer: This statement is actually supportive of Allstars counter claim. Which is that the customer threatened to do harm to Allstars name unless we give her a refund. If the customer does not know the law, why is the customer taking Allstars to court? She implied in one of her statements that she wants to waste Allstars time. Which she obviously does not realize it is illegal to do so. It is also illegal to waste the courts time. The customer is clearly abusing the legal system. Once again, she is treating the court system like it is the Dr. Phil show. Is she going to ask the court for a refund for her court cost when she does not win? Once again, if the customer does not know the law, why has she filed a case against Allstars in court? Basically because it is her intent to abuse the legal system as a means of harassing Allstars. Which is illegal and wrong.

The Customer: “The online course was $35 and he passed it”

Allstars Answer: Well it is a good thing. Because if he did not pass, she would have obviously asked for a refund.

In conclusion, nothing the customer has said has changed our position at this time. It is Allstars position that the customers son and the public will be much safer if he takes these lessons. The mother should be more concerned with safety than this refund. It is sad that she does not think her son or the public’s safety is worth the money.

9th of Aug, 2008

San Antonio, Texas

Simple
    WRITTEN MATERIAL+STUDY=PASS. She wants to blame the school cause her kid didn't study and didn't pass. Another generation x-boxer.

• He
      9th of Aug, 2008

Although Allstar is correct, but I do not like the fact that they're so beauraucratic about this situation.
    I have passed my test and just need some behind the wheel practice. But after seeing this thread, I'm thinking about forwarding it to other people instead... Allstar maybe in the business of making money, but they don't have to appear like that either. I think I'm going to ask a family member to help me out and save me some money.

25th of Aug, 2008

Allstars apologizes that you feel that we were “beauraucratic about this situation.” However it must be noted that the customer has filed a legal action against Allstars. Therefore Allstars it was a totally appropriate and typical response to a legal action. Never the less, on 08/25/08 the customer had her day in court and lost . The Judge advised the customer that maybe she should spend the $28.00 DMV fee on “teaching the kid to learn.” The Judge ruled that our No Refund Policy is clearly stated. The Judge then ruled in Allstars favor by stating to the customer “What part of No Refund do you not understand?

In conclusion, Allstars would like to thank the community for it’s support concerning this matter. I was deeply moved by some of the responses I have read above. Allstars takes pride that we are the only driving school in California who offers Teen Drivers Ed Online with the purchase of six hours. As well as we are very proud that we have remained in good standing with the BBB for over 20 years.

Owner

8th of Oct, 2008

The judge asked me why I thought I deserved a refund from this business and I told him and he did not agree. He was a jerk, but not that much of a jerk as this business owner implies by his comments that were very derogatory in nature. Yes, the judge did not agree with me and so that's that. I would suggest anyone considering paying for a driving school for their kid to think twice and save their money and make them wait until they are 18. Yes, my kid is an idiot. He will not be using this driving school now or in the future and is moving out of state to join the military next summer. You can't vote until you are 18. I didn't get my drivers license until I was over 18 either and never had a permit. Even though it was a long time ago, my stepson is 20 and he never got his license until he turned 18 and he did not have a permit either. Driving schools are scams IMHO.

29th of Nov, 2008

Wrong again! If your 20 year old step son has a license, he indeed had a driving permit. Basically because it is the law that he has a driving permit before he can take the drive test. Maybe if the customer attended one of these driving schools she is calling a "scam" she would know this. The customer has once again tried to mislead the public with her less than truthful statements. She has proven nothing other than the fact that she is not truthful and that she is a bully. The customer has continually used misleading and untrue statements to try and gain support from the community, while doing harm to the Allstars name. She is trying to exploit all of you here in this community as a self serving effort to try and bully Allstars into an unsubstantiated refund. I have read some of the comments here and I was happy to see that the community actually came out in support of Allstars instead of this mean spirited customer. Apparently she underestimated the intelligence and integrity of this community and even the judge. Never the less, as long as the customer continues to make hit and run statements, Allstars must respond that we categorically deny the allegations. Such allegations have not only been unsubstantiated by a court of law (the customer had her day in court), but by this community as well. We respectfully request that the customer cease and desist from trying to do damage to our name with untrue statements. The only thing that Allstars is not disputing is that a person can wait until they are 18 years old to take their permit test. However, the mother should have made this choice BEFORE she purchased our services and USED our certificate. It makes no sense that the customer feels it is morally correct to try and slander Allstars because her son did not pass his permit test. It is only further evidence of this customer's malicious intent to try and bully Allstars into giving her a refund. The customer has not requested a refund because our services are a scam, but based on the fact that her son did not pass his permit test. The customer has blamed Allstars, the judge (who she calls a jerk) and now she blames all driving schools with the statement of "Driving schools are scams". When even one of the people who commented in here said "that this is not a scam and that the customer is trying to scam Allstars." The funny thing here is that the customer received their permit classes at a completely different school. Allstars just provided the required behind the wheel enrollment certificates allowing the student to take the permit test. Maybe if the student did their permit classes with us www.onlinedrivingschool.org, they would have passed. Especially since we are the only driving school in the state that gives either the drivers Ed online or classroom for absolutely free with the purchase of the six hours. Our course is DMV approved and maybe the course that the customer went to was not DMV approved. I am not sure why the customer calls the judge a jerk, then insinuates that Allstars said he was a jerk and then says he was not a jerk. Why would Allstars say he is a jerk? We won remember?
    Also, the customer insinuates that Allstars called her son stupid. Let the record show that Allstars has never made this statement. Someone in the community here commented and suggested to the mother that her son was stupid because he failed the test three times.

In conclusion, regardless to her opinion, statistics show that the the community would be safer if he took the lessons from our DMV licensed instructors. Especially since the lessons are already paid for. Her choice to put her son and the community at risk to simply prove her point is evidence that the customer is simply disgruntled. The customer has used unfair, potentially illegal and misleading methods in trying to bully Allstars for a refund from the beginning. Allstars has proven here and to the court that the customer has continually misrepresented the truth and made false statements. It is highly suggested that the community be careful from taking any advise from a person who has lied to them and suggested that her son did not get a driving permit before he got his license. Basically because she is simply lying.

In conclusion, Allstars has been in business for over 20 years and remains in good standing with the BBB. We look forward to continuing to serve the public with our zero incident record.

1st of Dec, 2008

If you don't like what I am writing, then do not read it and move on. I certainly have gotten over the fact that I will never see my $ again. Yes, I am clearly the stupid one in this case, and I will not repeat that mistake any time soon. My son took an online class with your driving school and it was not free, I saw your site which states that you are doing a recession special, and that was not there when he signed up. Go ahead and look at the records if you don't believe me. I paid $35 I believe for him to take an online course, which is pretty easy to pass, versus the one at DMV, which is harder to pass. No one else in my family has ever used your driving school or any other for that matter. He will not be using your driving school, so I would appreciate it if you would take his information out of your records. Thank you and I'll make this short, so that readers do not get bored and I can say what I want to say here and on any other website that I post to on a daily basis, just as long as I follow the guidelines of the website. Oh, and yes, the judge was a jerk, read what I said, please do not try to twist things around. Have a nice day.

1st of Dec, 2008

Once you turn 18, you no longer need a provisional license and I am assuming that is the same as a permit, but I could be wrong, and I am sure that you will correct me. I forgot to include this that I got from DMV, also my step son said he got his license and only had a permit for some stupid amount of time like 24 hours and that it took two weeks to get an appointment to take the actual driving test. I have emailed DMV with my stupid question as well. I can't figure out any reason why my stepson would lie to me about such a thing, and I have seen his license.

3rd of Dec, 2008

The police would give him a ticket when he was out driving around practicing for this drive test if he does not have his driving permit on him and someone another California drivers licensed person in the car. He can not simply drive around and practice with no permit. So how would he learn for his drive test if he had no driving permit. The Tester would also not allow him to take the drive test without the permit in his possession. It is important to mention that I used to specifically take students to their drive test. So I know your son had a permit even if he was over 18. I do not know why he would lie either. Maybe he just does not remember. Even while on the drive test, the police officer would site him for having no proof of a driving permit or a license on him. The same if you were to drive without your license in your possession. Also, it would not make sense that he would only have his permit for 24 hours and then take his drive test two weeks later. What purpose would that serve? But once again, maybe if he would have gone to a driving school, he would know the law.