Allied Interstate / Unsolicited phone calls

United States Review updated:
I have been getting calls from allied interstate and have just ignored the message assuming it was from a telemarketer. I actually listened to the message today and called the company back realizing it was for debt collection and i don't have any debt in collections. The gentleman on the phone asked if the number i was calling from was the same number i was contacted on to which i replied yes. He said the name of the account which was my friends dad and i explained that i had no idea how my number would be associated with any of their accts to please remove it and not call me again. I called my friend to notify her and she said her mom was getting harassing calls from allied interstate and they left a very vulgar message stating that they would call all of her neighbors. I am appalled that a company is doing that but is that even legal to do. She also confirmed that two other neighbors of ours also received the calls as well. What can we do about this. She saved the threatening voice mail and I saved mine regarding the call to call them back.

Comments

9th of May, 2008
I guess I'm comforted to know I'm not alone in my dealings with Allied Interstate. There's a young deadbeat (maybe he's just slow) with the same last name as mine living on the same floor of my high-rise building in Chicago. Every time I ever bother to talk to them I explain I am not Adam, honestly don't even know Adam but know he exists (doorman says so!) and they promise to take me off their calling list. So tonight, they're back. Heavy sigh. I guess it's the burden of having a common last name, but *dag* this is getting old!
  14th of May, 2008
I was contacted today on a personal matter according the rude a$$ operator, but before releasing any information she wanted me to verify the last four of my social. Excuse me! You're asking me for the last four of my social...why don't you simply ask me for my bank account number! I asked for her name and what this call is regarding and she insisted on me verifying the last 4 of my social. I asked for her social and then maybe I'll give you mine, maybe. As she realized I was growing frustrated because she was insisting on my life and I still didn't know what this call was regarding or who at the time Allied Interstate even was. The representative hung up on me because I was not to budge and neither did she.
  27th of Jun, 2008
I called Allied Interstate to settle a debt. Knowing that collection agencies can make an agreement to take up to 80% off to get payment. I get the customer service rep and once I say "settle" he placed me with a *** supervisor.

The minute he gets me on the phone; he tells me that if an agreement isn't made in 15 minutes that this account is will be charged off and will be a bad mark on my credit. He also told me that the only way a payment can be accepted is "Check by Phone".

I told him what I am willing to pay, and that I will not pay "Check by Phone"! I have used check by phone before, and have found that the company takes out more than was told for "extra fees"; which I wasn't informed of.

First off the *** says that this company doesn't accept settlements (which is a total lie; because my wife dealt with them a few months before, and they accepted a settlement). I told him the only way I will pay a $200 less than half of what they want me to pay; and I will Western Union him a check. *** wouldn't accept it! He argued with me and continued to tell me how many minutes I had left until the 15 min was up and told me that it was then "Charged Off", and sent to a different dept (that he refused to transfer me too), and told me to call tomorrow.

What a rip off of a company!
  31st of Jul, 2008
Even if you owe on a debt DON'T make any payment agreements with a debt collector because you have no contract with them to pay this. Making a payment agreement with them over the phone would be considered a verbal agreement. Let them know that you are going to pay the company that you have a debt with and not them. Be firm in telling them this. Also make payments to the company they will accept them. You only have a contract with the company you owe and not a third party collection agency.

they called and when I said hello about 30 times no said anything back. I can hear people shuffling in the back ground then someone hangs up the phone. When I called the number back saying that I just received a call from this number. They asked me for my number and I gave it to them then the guy hangs up. Allied has so many numbers here are a few. Don't let these people harrass you. You have to answer the calls if you don't then I shows that you are avoiding them. When you speak with a rep after they tell you the phone call will be recording/monitored then ask that person if they're ok with you recording the conversation. Most likely they'll say no or hang up but answer their calls. Also check to see whether or not you're in a 1 party or 2 party law for recording state. Some states need you to get permission from the other party to record the conversation. Just to be on the safe side if you're not sure ask them anyway. After I asked a rep that they haven't been calling to speak with me. Just calling and playing a recording. The funny thing about that is you can hear when they click on the recording and then turn it off and hang up.

31st of Jul, 2008

9th of Oct, 2008
This company continues to call at all hours of the day, even though the law says they can not call on Sundays before 2pm they call from 8am until at least 8 pm. When I pick up they hang up. I called to get them to stop calling, spoke to a supervisor who said they would stop calling. I received another phone call within 30 mins. I spoke to a lead supervisor who explained to me that the company inputs the phone numbers into an automatic dialing database. I am going to pursue legal actions due to the fact that in a one week period, I had over 100 phone calls from them.
Bo
  6th of Sep, 2009
Allied called and left a message for me to call for a important message from them. I called them they said they would call back. They di not tell me what the call way about. I called again and then they would switch me to a superviser or several times they just hung up on me. They will not say anything about the phone messages they left. Why would they call and then not tell me whats' going on. What a bunch of A-holes.To get to one hundred words I just wanted to say again, A-holes A-holes A-holes.
Ar
  7th of Sep, 2009
It is very illegal, under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) (15 United States Code Section 1692-1692(p)) as amended by Public Law 109-351, Section 801-02, 120 Statute 1966 and revised in 2006. Paragraph 802 of the law states "Congressional findings and declaration of purpose (a) There is abundant evidence of the use of abusive, deceptive, and unfair debt collection practices by many debt collectors. Abusive debt collection practices continute to the number of personal bankruptcies, to marital instability, to the loss of jobs, and to invasions of individual privacy. (b) Existing laws and procedures for redressing these injuries are inadequate to protect consumers. (c) Means other than misrepresentation or other abusive debt collection practices are available for the effective collection of debts. (d) Abusive debt collection practices are carried on to a substantial extent in interstate commerce and through means and instrumentalities of wuch commerce. Even where abusive debt collection practices are purely intrastate in character, they nevertheless directly affect interstate commerce. (e) It is the purpose of this title to eliminate abusive debt collection practices by debt collectors, to insure that those debt collectors who refrain from using abusive debt collection practices are not competitively disadvantaged, and to promote consistent State action to protect consumers against debt collection abuses."

Under definitions 15 USC 1692a, "(2) The term "communication" means the conveying of information regarding a debt directly or indirectly to any person through any medium" whereas, the term "consumer" means any natural person obligated or allegedly obligated to pay any debt. The term "location information" means a consumer's place of abode and his telephone number at such place, or his place of employment.

Under Paragraph 804, "any debt collector communicating with any person other than the consumer for the purpose of acquiring location information about the consumer shall -- (1) identify himself, state that he is confirming or correcting location information concerning the consumer, and aonly if expressly requested, identify his employer; (2) NOT STATE THAT SUCH CONSUMER OWES ANY DEBT; (3) NOT COMMUNICATE WITH ANY SUCH PERSON MORE THAN ONCE UNLESS REQUESTED TO DO SO BY OTHER SUCH PERSON OR UNLESS THE DEBT COLLECTOR REASONABLY BLIEVES THAT THE EARLIER RESPONSE OF SUCH PERSON IS ERRONEOUS OR INCOMPLETE AND THAT SUCH PERSON NOW HAS CORRECT OR COMPLETE LOCATION INFORMATION; (4) not communicate by post card; (5) not use any language or symbol on any envelope or in the contents of any communication effected by the mails or telegram that indicates that the debt collector is in the debt collection business or that the communication relates to the collection of a debt; and (6) after the debt collector knows the consumer is represented by an attorney with regard to the subject debt and has knowledge of, or can readily ascertain, such attorney's name and address, no communicate with any person other than that attorney, unless the attorney fails to respond within a reasonable period of time to the communiction from the debt collector."

Paragraph 805 states "(a) COMMUNICATION WITH THE CONSUMER GENERALLY. Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt -- (1) at any unusual time or place or a time or place known or which should be known to be inconvenient to the consumer. In the absence of knowledge or circumstances to the contrary, a debt collector shall assume that the convenient time for communicating with a consumer if after 8 o'clock antimeridian and before 9 o'clock postmeridian, local time at the consumer's location;"

Paragraph 806 addresses the issues of harassment or abuse and is very informative. According to this paragraph, a debt collector is not allowed to harass, oppress, or abuse any person in connection witht he collection of a debt. They are not allowed to use or threaten to use violence or other crimiinal means to harm the physical person, REPUTATION, or property of any person. They cannot use obscene or profane language. They are not allowed to list a publication of consumers who allegedly refuse to pay debts. They cannot coerce payment of a debt. They cannot cause a telephone to ring or engaging any person in a telephone conversation repeatedly or continuously with intent to annoy, abuse, or harass any person at the called number. Except to find location of the individual, they are not allowed to palce telephone calls without meaningful disclosure of the caller's identity (THEY CAN'T CALL ANONYMOUS).

Under Paragraph 808 Unfair practices (5) They canjnot cause charges to be made to any person for communictions by concealment of the true propose of the communication. This includes the repeated calling of cellular telephones...

If you feel any of these points have been violated (I know Allied Interstate has broken a few of these with me) contact the Federal Trades Commission, they are the commission within the government who rules over debt collectors.
Gm
  30th of Aug, 2010
I am pissed off with Allied Interstate for consistently giving me a few calls every single day, when in fact I told them that the person they are looking for don't live in my house. I requested them to *** my number from there list but they keep on calling me. I'm really pissed off with these guys and they told me they gonna keep on calling me and hung up the phone. What a kind of collection agency is this, who harras and keep annoying people. *** these guys...they *** ***...matay kayo amennem...okennayo. Geggeden you ti tenged yun...your so inconsiderate
Ge
  29th of Oct, 2010
My caller id has shown the name and number (Allied Interest...866-396-7770) numerous times. And the times that I have been home to actually answer the call, the person on the other end always hangs up. The last time this occurred, I looked up the company online and obtained their phone number in West Palm Beach, Fl: 561-671-2134. I called this number so I could ask why they keep calling me but I got no answer.

I eventually reached an agent at the 866 number they called me from and I was told they were looking for Lin...Pot... The female rep said she would remove my number from their list but I have previously asked them to do that and it seems that they did not follow through. We'll see if they stop calling now.

Anyway, there is still no explanation for why they would keep calling my home and hanging up instead of asking for the person they were trying to contact. I should not have had to conduct research to determine the reason for their calls.
Sp
  28th of Dec, 2010
I started recieving calls daily from a company called allied interstate about a bill that i know is paid & doesnt show on any credit report cuz i checked. They constantly still call even tho i hv had several heated discussions w them about this bill & that they r not allowed to b calling me & that i am going to report them. i told them that they needed to send me a letter stating that if i paid the bill they would remove it completely from my credit report. (yes i know..its not even on there) so then they sent me to another credit advocate. they said i didnt even have it on my credit so they wouldnt send me a letter. so now i still get calls even tho i have done everything but pay a bill that doesnt exists! i do not know what to do & cnt change my cell & home number. speaking of home number...idk how they even got it because my own parents dont even have it! no one does. how do i make this stop w/o having to spend money on an attorney?
Fr
  7th of Feb, 2011
I recieved a call at midnight last night. Scared the life out of me! I thought something had happened to one of my children (all grown and out of the house.) Turns out they were asking for a person who never lived here/we do not know. Same last name. They would not identify themselves, and I thought it was someone drunk dialing. When I asked who was calling, they stated it was a financial matter. At midnight? When I called the number this morning-Allied Interstate. They did this to me a year ago-called at 11:30 pm. Who does that? I filed a complaint with the FTC.
Gr
  17th of Feb, 2011
My son is in the military deployed in afghanistan active duty, he has an outstanding college loan which he has every intention of paying when he returns in april/may, I have pleaded with them but it falls on a deaf ear they want to garnish my salary and tap into his bank account PLEASE STOP THEM AND HELP I have contacted the attorney general, my congressman, and other individuals in the army legal units, no one seems to care that he is defending all of us, where is the care and respect for our military It is a shame.
Ra
  28th of Jul, 2016
Allied continues to call after they have been informed they have the wrong number and the wrong person. Today I filed a complaint with the attorney generals office in Arizona. They started calling about six months ago for my daughter who has never lived at this address or used my telelphone number, not to mention, she has no debts. They are very rude and snotty and refuse to give any information when asked. They have been asked numerous times not to call, but they continue to do so. Apparently they don't check their information before they start harrassing anyone.
Ri
  28th of Jul, 2016
For the last 2 months I've been receiving 6-15 phone calls from Allied every day, along with a few text messages on my cell phone, coming in at all hours of the day and night. I usually let it go to voice mail but when I do answer it's an automated system that just hangs up so you can't talk to anyone. I finally sent them an email serving as a cease and desist, and I'm hoping that it works. I'm so fed up with calls at all hours of the day and night it's unbelievable.
Ma
  3rd of Aug, 2016
We keep getting calls from their number 866-578-4773 (caller ID: Unavailable), even though we are on the Do Not Call Registry, and have asked repeatedly that they stop harassing us. Internet search shows they're Allied Interstate, a collection agency. We are not in business with them, have zero debt and clean credit records = no reason for collection.

We got a call again from them tonight, and found out from their agent that they were looking for someone else (who happens to be our neighbor) and wanted to know whether we knew her. We denied to confirm any information.

Not only are their repeated, harassing calls unacceptable, but harassing neighbors of people they are trying to reach, and who have no business with them nor with such neighbors, is plain ### tactics. We are taking all the steps necessary to have such practice penalized, including but not limited to complaints to the FCC and the Do Not Call Registry. We will keep doing so until these parasites are definitely neutralized.
Ja
  3rd of Aug, 2016
I'm very upset with this company. When making arrangements to pay an over due amount on my student loan I agreed to pay $220 per month. I had to make an itial payment of $100 as a good faith payment. The company collected the $100 and in the same month collect a partial payment of the agreed amount of $220. I told them that I would pay the remaining balance on the following month along with my payment of $220. When checking my account balance at my bank there was an over draft fee collected from my account because the people at Allied can not count. ($220-$150= $70) and ($220+70=$290) They wrote a check to my bank for $330 which made my account over drafted because of their mistake. I called in the following business day and tried to correct their mistake only to get some foolish women who calls herself the supervisor (Terri Hughes) who can not add as well be very rude to me.
Ta
  3rd of Aug, 2016
First I have had the same number for over 10 years. It is on the DNC list. I tell them that they have the wrong number. They called again, I explain again that they have the wrong number, my number is on the DNC list, their "agent" gets mad and hangs up. I call them and ask to be removed from their list as I am not who they are looking for...and wouidn't you know it, the calls continue. On 8/26 I call Allied Interstate and once again asked to be remove since they have the wrong number/person and that their agents are unprofessional and are violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The person at Allied Interstate claims that my number has "now" been removed. How dumb to call the wrong number while violating laws? Dumb criminals.
  3rd of Aug, 2016
I just now received a phone call from some dumb women, that thought she call here and disrespect my home, get abusive, and then hang up on me...

This Allied Interstate Co. is a Very UNPROFFESIONAL GROUP...If I get one more phone call from them, I will file a complaint, and a Law Suit...I’m really tired of the disrespectfulness, and rudeness I, or my wife get from theses people from Interstate. I would love for some one else to also report this company, because, I believe if they can choose to speak to me or my wife in that matter then they do it to every one...