ALLCare Dental / Rip-Off

1 1720 E. Sternberg Rd.Muskegon, MI, United States Review updated:

My husband and I just moved to the area and Allcare was the only place locally that is covered by our insurance. Had I known that it was located in a strip mall, I probably wouldn't have made the appointment. The whole experience was shady from the beginning. Our appointment was at 3:00 and we didn't leave until after 5:00. All the procedures were taking place in a large open room. The assistants were walking in and out of each patient area, joking with eachother which was very unprofessional and erased any feeling of privacy. The x-ray process took a half hour and was quite painful. From there they moved us to another area where our x-rays were examined and the dentist took a look in our mouths. The tools were often handled by the assistants without gloves on. My husband was told he would need a tooth extracted and 9 cavities filled. The dentist showed me my x-rays, pointing out numerous spots of decay. In total, I would need 14 cavities filled and a root canal. My husband and I have regularly seen the dentist our entire lives, brush and floss daily, are young, and in general have healthy teeth. We each have had a few cavities filled over the years, but nothing serious. According to Allcare, in the year it has been since our last dental check-up, we need a combined total of 25 teeth filled. We were then moved to a consultation room where a man laid out a treatment plan. When I questioned all the fillings, he called our previous family dentist a liar, stating that "x-rays don't lie." 2 hours later we walked out in shock and still didn't have our teeth cleaned. Allcare is just in it for the money. They are not to be trusted.

Ll

Comments

18th of Apr, 2008

February 21, 2008

BBB Summary of Complaint against Allcare Dental and Dentures and Reason For Disputing Bill From Care Credit

I went to Allcare Dental and Dentures because I was interested in a partial denture (for four teeth) and/or mini-implants. I reasoned that since Allcare appeared to be a practice which dealt primarily with dentures, I would have more options than I would if purchased through my regular dentist.

After taking Xrays and viewing the results, the dentist, within 15 minutes, informed me that I had no options other than removing all of my teeth and purchasing full dentures.

I was then ushered into an office (accompanied by another person whom I took in with me as a witness to what the options were. She too had X-Rays taken, was told that she needed full dentures. She said right at the onset that she was not interested in full dentures. She was told immediately that they couldn’t do anything for her in terms of partials, only full, without consulting with another dentist. They gave her a referral, only when she persisted in asking for one. They then turned their focus solely on me).A sales person went into a full pitch of my only option-full dentures- and payment plans. I agreed to apply for “Care Credit”. He returned in 5 minutes with paperwork for me to sign. I asked repeated questions about types of dentures and their cost. He was patronizing, to say the least, even stating that I should buy the most expensive type of full dentures because “these are better all around. I’d tell you to buy the other if you were older and on your way out and it wouldn’t matter”. Seeing that I was not amused by the ageist and crude statement, he backed up, asking what I did for work. When I said that I was a college professor, he changed tactics, speaking in a much more professional manner. He worked out a plan, including various coupons and discounts and came up with a monthly payment. I said that it was too high for my budget. Again, he disappeared and returned quickly apologizing that he had “forgotten” about an additional 5% discount. He reworked the numbers. I left knowing that I would again check my options regarding partials and mini-implants.

I did the research, both in dental journals online and consulting with dental professionals. I called Allcare stating that I wasn’t interested in the removal of all my teeth. I got a call back in the middle of an afternoon (I was at work) and told that “the doctor wants to speak with you. Can you come in this afternoon?”. I said that I was at work and just couldn’t cancel classes and leave on that short of a notice. I asked to speak to the dentist on the phone. The dentist did call back and told me that he had “reconsidered” my X-rays and “probably a partial is going to work”. I agreed to another appointment to discuss this. On the night before the appointment for the consultation, I got a phone message reminder that I had my (original) appointment the next day for extractions. A phone number was left for me to call back if needed. I called that number repeatedly that night and into the next day until noon. No answer, no voice mail. I also called, alternately, the main number for their office. It remained “busy” for the same length of time. I had intended to say that I was NOT having extractions and that my appointment was for a consultation about partials.

I was appalled at this lack of professionalism and had had enough of Allcare. I had completely lost confidence in their competence and ability to care for my teeth correctly.

I did not keep the appointment for extractions. I still have my teeth, and also have the partial!. I did not need full dentures. I did not, in fact, need or receive ANY of the services that I was then billed for on “Care Credit”. I did, however, receive a bill for services rendered, including extraction of all my teeth and full dentures.

It took many phone calls and a complaint filed with the Better Business Bureau to resolve this issue.

BEWARE of this company.

• Co
      3rd of May, 2008

I would strongly advise that you place a complaint to your state dental board immediately. This will help prompt an investigation. The dental board is responsible for monitoring dentists.

• Br
      29th of May, 2008

Masicasts!
    Edit Review? By brenda n.
    I'm not sure who to call or write about this business but, I am going to try to find out. I went to their office in Fort Wayne yesterday with an abscessed tooth. Needless to say, I was and still am in horrific pain. When I first got there, I approached the front desk and gave them my name, to which, the young dental assistant? looked at me and said "Is in the house", like I was stupid or something. After waiting an hour in the waiting room, I was taken back and immediatly referred to (unprofessionally and too familiar) by "Miss Brenda", my first name. I have never met these people before in my life. I asked for novacane and tylenol and after an hour of listening to them chatting nonsensically to each other, was given them. The spaces were dirty and there seemed to be a an endless supply of snotty young girls prancing about and doing nothing. I should have know what I was in for when, the "dentist" came to look at my teeth and he was missing 2 of his yellowed teeth. I'm sorry, but I have never seen a dentist with such bad teeth...I spent all night in agony after being sent home with a script for pain killlers and antibiotic. They tried to set me up with a credit plan before leaving...I was never even told my doctor's name...was told they would pull my tooth yesterday and also this morning..to which I was then told that they had no openings. These people need to be shut down! I even have my doubts that any of them are even liscensed. If you are planning on going there, do yourself a favor and just hit yourself in the head with a hammer instead. BTW, I am seeing another doc today an oral surgeon who is pulling my tooth.

• Al
      14th of Aug, 2008

I am a dental professional and I work for ALLCARE DENTAL. I agree with all of the complaints, I sympathise with all of you as I see the same things at my office on a daily basis.
    It's the same all across the board, there's no good office, most of their dentists should NOT have a license. Also, their staff is treated by their superiors as bad and as unprefossianally as they do with patients. Terrible business for both employment and/or health care. Stay away from it.

• Rc
      16th of Aug, 2008

went to allcare with a toothache they took xrays and reccomended a dental plan at a cost of $3700 dollars which i didnt sign went back for cleaning and the filling of four cavities still in pain from a different abcessed tooth which i was told had to be pulled i never received any treatment for my tooothache after 3 weeks in pain i went to a different dentist and he pulled my tooth the same day a neighbor told me they do not pull teeth regularly but a traveling dentist comes in once a month to pull teeth just think if i had waited one more week (in pain) they would of pulled it they got 200 dollars cash off of me and 536 dollars from my insurance plan wha a rip off

• Ca
      16th of Sep, 2008

I STRONGLY agree with everything I have read in ALL the complaint. I too USE to work for ALLACARE and that person was right on the nose about how they treat their employees AND patients, "LIKE ###" They could care less about any of them just as long as they get their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. They will tell you anything to get it to. OH if you don't get this taken care of YOU'LL DIE! In 99% of the cases that is not true. Working in the dental field for awhile now I do know that it is possible BUT give me a break. I STRONGLY suggest anyone not to go there, even if it is an emergency FIND A REAL DENTIST not some money hungry corp office like ALLCARE DENAL & DENTURES. Oh, and they don't like to give their hard working employees any credit when a good jobs IS done. And they LET PEOPLE GO that have YEARS with them because that person have more vacation time than others, AND that is saving them money by doing this. I will NEVER work for a company like them again. I take pride in what I do for a living and I love all the patients I've seen and took very good care of them. THANK YOU TO ALL THE WONDERFULL PATIENTS I DID SEE AND SO SORRY YOU HAD TO BE TREATED THE WAY YOU DID. Everyone deserves better.

7th of Nov, 2008

I currently work for Allcare and all of the statements posted are true. I wish I would have researched them more before I took the job. I'm currently looking for a different job, so I can get out of there. We have patients calling in daily about getting bills (from Care Credit or some other credit company) for work they haven't even had done. Our office manager has no dental experience what so ever and is a sales person. Trying to tell people what they need done and how imperative it is and is telling them wrong because they don't know what they're talking about. It truly is all about the money. If our production numbers drop our office manager is hounded by phone calls and emails to get the $$$$ up. The other former employees are also right about them not caring about the people that work for them. Everyone that works for them just got their pay cut or their position eliminated. Their reason, the economy but they have raised their prices and will now be taking a bigger cut of my money. They clearly think people that work for them are stupid and can't see the bigger picure. If you cut someones pay in half and raise your prices who gets the money you took from the patient and stole from the hard working employee. The company. To all future patients and potential employees, trust me, do yourself a favor. Stay clear of Allcare Dental & Dentures.

• Re
      10th of Nov, 2008

I had worked for Allcare for about 5 months. I did many jobs there, and I cant belive all the mistakes I had to cover up for the doctor. When the Doc had no idea what to do, I would be asked. How crazy is that? They will lie, Cheat and steal to make money. I watched teenagers have all of there teeth taken out, with no regard or compassion to whats happening. They have the corporate doctors come in as there blanket diffusers. They fix things for a week and leave untill they get another call from a patient threatning to go to the news channels. Then the bow down and give the pt money to stay quiet. What a backwards office. The higher ups talk to the other employees as if they are nothing and will scream at them as if they are children. I am telling you if you want good work or care do not go there. They have lawsuits up the gazoo. Stay away

• Ri
      4th of Jan, 2009

I have not got my teeth pulled out as yet and I do know one thing. I t will be with someone else. I do not trust them and after reading the above confirms my
    suspicions .
    Thank you all for writing your stories . Because of you, I now know that I am doing the right thing and looking elsewhere.

God Bless

• Ca
      24th of Jan, 2009

I was just in the Allcare in Fort Wayne that another poster complained about. The atmosphere was very unprofessional. I wanted to have a single tooth pulled that was giving me pain and I too was told I needed all my teeth removed and full dentures. The dentist (who had very bad teeth, I couldn't help but notice) wrote me a perscription for 15 Motrin pills and I was ushered into the sales room where I was assured that my only option was the most expensive set of dentures at a cost of almost $7, 000. When I told the guy that there was no way I could make a commitment like that without talking to my wife (she was in the waiting room but they don't allow anyone but the patient into the back unless your a minor or disabled) I was brushed off. All of my further questions were answered condecendingly and I was basically told to come back when I could commit to their $500+ / mo. payment plan.

I have an appointment with another dentist now, and I am still in pain as of writing this. AS an added bonus, while I was waiting to go into the sales office, I overheard two seperate complaint calls.

• Br
      20th of Feb, 2009

The service and the job that Allcare did on my teeth was not bad. However, when I went there, the staff was highly unprofessional. The dental assistant told me all about her love life. She even used the work d**k, and used cuss words. On my first visit, they had a temporary manager. I think his name was Bryce. He somehow fast talked me into signing up to have four crowns put in when I only needed two, which would cost me $55 per month. So the next day, I came back and told him I only needed two, and they fixed it for me, and the payments would be the same. By the time I had my two new crowns put in, they had a new manager, however I cannot remember her name. She also reviewed the finances and said they would be $55 per month through a company called Care Credit. A couple of weeks later, I get my first bill from Care Credit, and my jaw dropped. It was $130! I called Allcare Dental right away and she said she would take care of it for me. Well, the next month it was back to $55. The following month, was back up to $130! So I called this company called Care Credit, and I could not hardly understand a word they said, and they repeated my name over and over again. Anyways, I'm screwed. They won't lower my monthly payments to what Allcare said they would be, and every statement I get in the mail, I get a phone call two days later from Care Credit. They even called me first thing in the morning on Valentine's day. Needless to say, I will never go back to Allcare dental, and unfortunately, I have to use my tax returns to pay off this stupid bill. I was really hoping to use it towards my new home.

23rd of Feb, 2009

I wish I would have found all of this information before I went to Allcare. I had a tooth break off when eating in the beginning of January. I needed to get in somewhere asap that could work with my financially and that could extract the root of my tooth and make me a flipper/temp partial for that tooth. When I went into Allcare and had xrays I was told that I would need that extraction, a route canal on the tooth next to it and a bridge for the three teeth AND was told that i basically needed a filling in EVERY other tooth in my mouth as well for a grand total of $8000. I told them there was no way in h*** I could afford this and they said well we can get you approved with the care credit program for $3000 and we can do the extraction/route canal and bridge for $3000. I told them all I needed at this time was the extraction and the flipper/partial (they quoted this as $500 which I found reasonable from talking to other dentists prior) I told them this is all I wanted to do and that I would get that paid off then look into getting my other work done. The agreed. I had the extraction - which I was not completely numb for!!! I have never experienced so much pain in all my life and the oral surgeon was very rude and just yanked and pulled despite my crying out in pain that I was not dumb. After the extraction I was told that my flipper/partial would be in in 10 days (which I thought was odd since they said everyhting was done in house). Regardless I got my flipper 15 days later and I soon got my bill from care credit for all services rendered that Allcare WANTED to do and NOT for the $500 they actually did. In contacting the Office Manager he seemed very concerned and told me he would deal with it right away. He confirmed the next day he sent care credit all the paperwork they needed and that care credit apologized they had made a billing error. Next statement I received STILL had full billing amount. Got ahold of the office manager AGAIN and he said he did not understand he had gotten them all the paperwork and would look into it. Next time I tried to reach him again after getting a THIRD bill at the full amount he no longer was there as he had been promoted to District Manager. It took me 2 weeks to get a hold of the new office manager who told me he would get it taken care of and to call him today, 2/23 at 2pm to assure me it was done. Called today and he asked so you want a refund for services not yet rendered? I got irrate and said of course I do if the service has not been done yet I told you all up front that I was only getting the $500 work done. Which told me right there care credit never made a billing mistake, Allcare billed for everything, the previous office manager/new district manager had lied to me. The new office manager tried to calm me down and said I understand I just need to ask you this in order to get you your refund. He then asked so at this time you would like to cancel all work with Allcare? I said um ya thats why I never made another appt! He said he will get it taken care of and that I can call him back on Friday morning to make sure it all got taken care of. If it has not been taken care of I will be filing a suit and/or calling a news channel investigation team! -- Oh and this happened at the Avon, Indiana office location.

• St
      4th of Mar, 2009

I agree Allcare is the worst Dentist ever. I went there because a tooth was bothering me. First of all the Front desk clerk in Avon is so unprofessional and unfriendly. His black suit just seems so out of place to me and that was the first thing that bothered me. They did xrays and I was told I had 12 cavities that need to be worked on. So I made an appointment a week later only to find out that the guy who examined there no longer works there. Instead there was this Russian or Polish Lady whose English skills lacked enormously and she is ready to drill a Root Canal which the other Doctor ruled out completely. I was so upset I got up and said no way cause my confidence in this place was at its lowest point already. This is obviously a place where patients are treated with $ signs in mind. My payment plan went up to almost 3000$. I declined, demanded my xrays and left. I went to a small practice today in Danville. It was the best thing ever. Nothing about a root canal and only 2 cavities which I had to pay 50$ for out of my own pocket instead of almost 800$. DONT GO to the Avon Allcare Dental place, I am telling you its the worst dentist ever and I agree with all the reviews above me.

• Ab
      6th of Mar, 2009

I had a bad consult with them and luckily I walked away at that. After a 20 x-ray series (NOT healthy, but the tech would not let me bypass having so many), the dentist (who was so busy talking w/ her co-worker she didn't even introduce herself) looked at my teeth and an x-ray and sent me to the manager. He then said I had 3 cavities and I said I couldn't afford to fill them. He tried to get me to sign up for their credit card and I refused. He became annoyed and asked why I bothered to come in. I said I had wanted a cleaning but was not allowed to have one until I had the consult. I was so offended by him I did not make any further appointments and requested my file to take to another dentist. All I received was 1 x-ray. My new dentist said I had no cavities and also their x-ray was unreadable! To this day 2-3 years later I have not had a new cavity. They are a total scam.

• St
      13th of Mar, 2009

Where do I begin???? Allcare is the most unprofessional, uncomfortable, and inconveniencing dental office ever conceived! Three weeks ago I called their office to set up an appointment to have an extraction. They told me that they only performed extractions one Friday per month and set me up for today. Well... I underwent the painstaking ( emphasis on PAIN ) x-ray process after which I was taken to a room (if you call a few bare walls with no door a room ) and sat me in a chair. The tray in front of the chair had open dental instruments on top of the paper lining. When the assistant came into the room to look at my tooth she asked if any one had been in with me and I told her no, so she grabs the instruments and gets new ones (without changing her gloves) and places the "sanitized" instruments down on the same paper liner where the dirty instruments had been. And in the blink of an eye she had the little mirror in my mouth...yuck!! Then I proceed to wait for about an hour or so in this makeshift room which has all the charm of an illegal abortion clinic with people coming in and out ( of course you can't see them because the chair is positioned with the back to the large opening) slamming cabinet doors, talking, etc... when finally a lady with a white doctor's coat (who I mistook for a dentist) comes in and informs me that she can't perform extractions but will set me up with a treatment plan and schedule me a follow-up appointment two weeks later to have my tooth removed! YEAH, RIGHT!!! I couldn't believe my frigging ears!! To make a long story short, I went off and stormed out of their office.

Beware of Allcare Dental in Chattanooga, Tennessee!!!

18th of Mar, 2009

The Allcare in Avon, IN is ridiculous! The finance manager is the worst, they care nothing for their patients, all they want is your money. I wouldn't recommend this trash to an enemy, let alone family or friends. Do NOT go to Allcare!

31st of Mar, 2009

Allcare is the worst Dentist ever. Don't go there!!!

• Tr
      31st of Mar, 2009

I can't believe what I am reading here! I too went to Allcare Dental about a couple of months ago. After some serious pain with the x-rays the dentist informed me that I had no choice but to pull all my teeth and and have dentures. Mind you, I am 32 years old with (what I found out later) 3 cavities and 1 root canal needed). I left there literately, crying my eyes out. I was supposed to sit in a chair and talk to their "billing specialist" to work out my payment plan. I had so many tears streaming down my face at the thought of having all my teeth yanked out that I just couldn't sit there and listen to how much it was going to cost me on top of it all.
    I really want to report these individuals. The dentist that I went to after them could NOT believe that someone told me that I needed to have my teeth pulled. He told me that it was the most absurd thing he has ever heard.
    If anyone has any information on how to report this company please let me know. I work for a large law firm and am not sure I am done with them yet.
    traciesenska@gmail.com

• Al
      31st of Mar, 2009

This is all B.S...I work in the dental field and I am aware of how Allcare treats their patients. Allcare will see over 40, 000 patients in a month...and they have less than a 1% complaint ratio. Not everyone can be satisfied with visit. So if you are complaining...what's this say about you? How many other companies have any of you filed a complaint with because you didn't get your way?

Allcare is a company that anyone should feel comfortable going to see. they give you several options to help meet your dental needs and even offer payment plans so that it's affordable

• Be
      7th of Apr, 2009

This is in response to the ALLCARE IS A GOOD COMPANY... You my friend apprently have some stock, or own this company!. I have watched my sister go to this company, be billed for work, not fully understanding what it was that was happening... Haveing teeth pulled out and the dentures stuck in and was told it would hurt for a day or two. After 1 week of complaing to the dentist, that something wasn't right and that she could feel something sharp where the tooth was removed, was told that it was just the bone and that it would heal.. After another week of pain and not being able to eat and it getting no better, she went to another dentist...To be told it was a bone sticking out and that it shouldn;t be that was... Now that she has that taken care of and has decided that she no longer going to go to Alcare dental, and has called to have money reembursied for dental work not completed or done at all, she can't get a person to talk to, the so called OFFICE MANAGER is off, no one else knows anything... and then her file has disappeared... It has been one STUPID thing after another...One excuse after another... Enough!!! She is filing with the ADA and the state dental board and better business bureau and anyone else that will listen...