Alitalia / DO NOT FLY ALITALIA

1 51 MADISON AVE, New York, NY, United States Review updated:

My luggage was lost by Alitalia in Dec and they still owe me $1465.00.
After landing in Milan in December 2009, after waiting hours for luggage that never arrived, after I realized that my luggage was lost, after waiting hours at the lost luggage desk, I was told to repurchase everything I would need for my week long vacation because Alitalia informed me that they could not get my luggage to me until one week later (the day before I was departing to return home.)
I was very accommodating but they refused to have my luggage delivered to any of the cities that we were going to be in during the week (multitude of excuses: holidays, wouldn’t pay for courier, etc…) and so we had to return to the first city at the end of our trip to retrieve it.
Because we were changing cities everyday on this “vacation, ”and the luggage they lost was my ONLY piece of luggage, I not only had to buy all of my clothing, shoes, boots (it was snowing), makeup, toiletries, but I also had to buy luggage!
Alitalia assured me that I would be reimbursed as long as I kept all of my (itemized) receipts and submitted a claim when I returned to the states. (Which, of course, I did.) But after almost 4 months I didn’t hear from them, and when I followed up, they lied and told me that my luggage was returned to me the following day, and then they denied my claim. Naturally, I had proof that they were lying, (I received my luggage one week later, not one day later], and so then they made up a new fake nonexistent reimbursement policy, (there is no such policy, I have all the paperwork from Italy, and there is no such policy on their website), and so then they offered me $225*, instead of the $1465* they owe me. (However, I have not received a penny).
*Just purchasing toothpaste, a toothbrush, comb, hand cream, makeup, deodorant, sneakers and a tote bag, which I bought and used as LUGGAGE because it was cheaper, cost me $270.00! They offered me $225 as a “settlement” (which I never received), but WHAT ABOUT THE COST OF MY CLOTHES, BOOTS, UNDERWEAR?? WHAT ABOUT THE COST OF MY CABS, BUSES (to find these stores), AND PHONE CALLS (to track down my lost luggage)??
Should I be expected to pay for replacing my clothes—I packed them---they lost them.
They broke their contract:
see page 2 of THEIR document:
“…..provide the passenger with the agreed carriage according to the defined itinerary and
schedule, carrying the passenger and his/her baggage from the place of departure to the
place of destination…”

A simple search online will show you that Alitalia does not ever pay for lost luggage.
I have written to, emailed and called Alitalia 23 times. I have contacted Eyewitness News/7 On Your Side, The New York State Consumer Board, The Better Business Bureau, and Andrew Cuomo, Attorney General…..and various travel troubleshooters online……..I am still waiting for my check for $1465.00.
The other very frightening thing is that their prices are very CHEAP, and so students planning to study abroad find this very appealing….
STUDENTS BEWARE!—DO YOUR HOMEWORK---RESEARCH THIS AIRLINE BEFORE YOU BUY A TICKET! UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING TO CARRY ON YOUR LUGGAGE CASES, DO NOT FLY ALITALIA!

Rr

Comments

• Na
      6th of Jul, 2010

I hate Alitalia. I have had the run around as they owe me 1400$ for 2 weeks of lost luggage...that was dec, 2009...who has the head of customer service number or contact info for North America office? I need help.
    thanks,
    Nadine.

• Ca
      10th of Aug, 2010

Alitalia is the worst! Typical socialist society. People hired because they HAVE to be, welcome America and Obama. Daughter missed connecting flight because 3 people were late 1 and a half hours, causing my daughter to miss connecting flight. My daughter missed her connecting flight by 10 minutes! They waited an hour and a half for these three who were not on time, and when that plane finally landed 10 minutes before the connecting flight left, on the opposite side of the airport that was only accessible by shuttle, they took off. they put her in the worst hotel, no food no phone, to try and fix, Promised her first flight the NEXT day. Told her to be on shuttle at 8:00 a.m. When she went to desk to explain, she was told you can't travel without your bag so she must wait for 3:30 flight, not 10:00 promised. Luggage ended up on 10:00 flight and THEY were mad that she didn't fly with her bag 6 HOURS later. Affirmative action at it's best. DON'T FLY ITALIA, THEY DON'T CARE!