Alienware / online scam

1 Miami, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-866-287-6727

My son, an 18 year old 2008 high school honor graduate, has always wanted an Alienware computer since one of his friends got one. He spent ALL of his graduation money by paying us so he could use our credit card, though we were very hesitant for him to pay so much for a computer... 'extreme performance' or not. He ordered it at the end of July before we went to North Carolina for a week.

We got back home late the night of August 6, and the computer was delivered on August 7. The lightup keyboard worked for a few minutes, then flashed on and off for a few days. He called technical support several times, then had to visit friends with wireless connections to take the advice of technical support several other times.

To make a long story short, on August 13 or 14 Alienware told him to send the keyboard back and it would cost $300 to fix it. (Now, keep in mind these people were paid $5, 751.35 via OUR CREDIT CARD and he only had the 'faulty' keyboard and computer for ONE WEEK.) I was extremely dissatisfied about that, but I let my husband and son handle it. My husband ended up calling Discover, told them the story, canceled payment and found out that only around $4, 900 would be refunded on the credit card for returning the whole computer. Naturally, I was furious when I found that AFTER ONE WEEK of the keyboard NOT ever doing what it was supposed to do that HE would have to take the loss for it!

The next thing I know, we're waiting around until August 22 for them to send us a return authorization #. These people had our email addresses, but said they would call our home phone to give it to us. So, I had to call, wait, fuss, etc. to get it. We mailed the computer back on August 22 via United States Post Office and paid $70 for 2 day, certified mail delivery with insurance on it.

Besides the obvious... Alienware not standing by their product for ONE WEEK!!!..., I have several other potential problems that could end up helping us. Brent used our credit card #, yet they recorded it as 'Sell To and Bill To: Brent A. Walker'... the name on the credit card, Joseph Walker, should have been the billed name, in my opinion.

I understand that our son agreed to the 15% restocking fee and could possibly understand that exorbitant amount after a few MONTHS of use, or preferably YEARS of use... at that price! However, whatever happened to the 'lemon law'?! What has happened in the state of Florida, in the great United States of America, when a business doesn't have to stand by their product for ONE WEEK?!?!?! Personally, we will NEVER buy ANYTHING on line again!

Shame on Alienware for taking an honor graduate's graduation money and teaching him his first lesson in dishonest businesses, crooks and thieves!!! I think the ENTIRE AMOUNT should be refunded... any honest business WOULD realize that.

Va

Comments

• As
      19th of Sep, 2008

Isn't it a shame that a great company like Dell, owns Alienware; has to be a major embarrassment.

I ordered a system on Monday 09.08.08 with the assumption that it would be sent to me as per their advertising. I was wrong.
    The deal was if you ordered a m15x they would send it to you within 48 hours with no shipping charge; a back to school special.
    On Friday 09.12.08 I called to check on the status of the order only to find out that they hadn't even shipped it yet, and it was labeled as "still in production". I cancelled the order and politely requested a refund. They agreed.

Now its Friday 09.19.08 and my credit card has still not been refunded, and no one at Alienware has any explanation. I spoke with a supervisor (who sounded like he was eating potato chips at the time), that the refund should be credited on Monday 09.22.08. I'm not holding my breath.

So I called my bank and they placed the balance in "dispute".

Shame on you Alienware.

8th of Jun, 2009

alienware was the best company around BEFORE they got bought out by ### ### Dell.

• Th
      14th of Mar, 2013

i have m15x doesnt have Ati AMD READEON HD 7970M. IHAVE MOBILITY RADEON HD 5850 DOESNT WORK WITH CRYSIS 3
    DELL WONT GIVE REFUND BACK. I HATE DELL
    LISTEN EVERYONE THE BEST WAY IS CYBERPOWERPC NEW MODEL IS CALLED FANGBOOK X7 100, 200, AND 300
    ONE MORE THING DO NOT BUY DELL OR ALIENWARE IS A SCAM.