Alibris.com / Scam and lies!

1 1250 45th Street, Suite 100Emeryville, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 510-500-0856

I used Alibris.com to get a DVD box set for the anime Yu Yu Hakusho. I had all of the sets but the very last one, and since they are out of print I took whatever I could find. I found what I was looking for on this site and ordered it. I get a notice that the box set was shipped Jan 1 and would arrive no later than Jan 11 as packages take no longer than one to two weeks. My order number was xx706.

I waited until the 11 and got nothing. A week later I still have nothing and ask customer service what the problem is. They said they cannot do anything until at least thirty days have passed. So, I emailed the seller and asked what was going on. They did nothing but notify me that they were refunding my order.

So it seems Alibris.com did not have the DVD box set that they had in their search result but they still sold it to me. I got a receipt that told me that my money would show up in my credit card (I have a debit card) again in one to two weeks. But seeing as how reliable they are to get things done in this time span, I doubt that I will ever see my money again.

Now, I had to buy the entire series of this show through a website that does direct trade in Japan. It cost me 150 dollars for the whole series just so I could get one season because Alibris.com failed to due proper business and lied about their stock. I will never use this website again for anything. This is also the very last company I will ever buy from without searching for it here first.

Va

Comments

• Bo
      23rd of Sep, 2008

I ordered book from alibris and on the following day, credit card company fraud department called me. They found my card had been used to 5 online transactions right after my alibris order that looks very suspicious. None of them was initiated from me. The only transaction that was rarely used by me and the only one should be there is alibris.
    I told them to cancelled the 5 trasactions. Then couple of days later, Alibris emailed me that the worldwide book drive does not have the book and they cancelled the order.

• Je
      22nd of Aug, 2010

I've been using this website/company casually for 2 years now and have never encountered a problem, even with a missing order and refund. I followed thier rules to wait 30 days, applied for the refund and it was posted promptly 2 weeks later. While it is disappointing not to receive and order after paying for same, glitches do occur and the company did issue the refund with no dispute or delay.

• Dr
      15th of Oct, 2010
    Alibris.com - They provide a bogus phone number that doesn't work and never reply to emails
    Alibris.com
    alibris.com

This is not a legit business. They provide a bogus phone number that doesn't work and never reply to emails. I bought a sticker book for my daughter and it arrived with no stickers in it. Yes, a sticker book arrived and all the stickers were gone. Stay away!

• Dm
      18th of Jun, 2011

i'm a seller on Alibris and I think it is a great for selling used books. If you advertise that you have a hard cover book but then send the seller the paperback, then you can get a big profit. Usually the seller won't mind. If the seller gives you a bad review, you can get that review removed, unlike on amazon.

I've gotten huge profits using this kind of system. I sell cheap "international edition" books for more money than they are worth by listing them as the normal editions.

On alibris, sellers used to be able to give themselves a rating, instead of customers rating the sellers. I rated myself as "excellent."

• Na
      9th of Jul, 2011

I almost ordered a book from Alibris but decided to check out the company first because a) I'd never heard of it and b) I thought it was dodgy that it didn't offer payment via Paypal. I'm glad I did now. I would be annoyed not getting a book I've ordered, obviously, and even more pissed off about the 30 days. I definately won't be ordering from this site, thank you all for the heads up. And @DMR555 that is called deciet you should be ashamed of yourself, but I thank you also lol.

• Al
      18th of Jul, 2011

Hi Nattaliecee, Please know that Alibris provides a great, reliable supply of discount books, music and movies to millions of happy customers. And, we do accept payment by PayPal. When problems arise, you can count on our eager, friendly assistance. Feel free to contact me directly with any additional concerns. Send your email to info@alibris.com with "Attn: Amy" in the subject line.

• Da
      18th of Nov, 2011

Here is a letter i sent this company, it says it all:

Ok, I have used your site TWICE and TWICE since I have used it... someone from YOUR COMPANY (I noticed you are in the UK) Some looser in your company who thinks that they are entitled to other people's money stole my information and booked a hotel in the UK once for 750 dollars, then again for 693 dollars, then again for 284 dollars... Do not tell me it was not your company because TWICE I used your service and TWICE this has happen... someone from your company is stealing... I am going to call the better business bureau if this is not resolved IMMEDIATELY!!! My number is 954 - 478 -2514, my name is David. My money was returned to me by the bank, but I am getting sick of that looser employee of yours stealing... maybe you all are liberals and think that we should spread the wealth... I FOR ONE DON'T... Tell your looser employee to get a dam life and pay for his own hotel... I want this resolved and I want the employee FIRED. And I want his name so I can press charges WHICH I WILL DO. Again, this is the only site that is affiliated with the UK which I have used twice and twice got taken advantage of. I am willing to bet that others have been victims of whatever scam your employee is running so I bet it is worth an investigation, maybe I will speak to some of my friends who work for the news and make a stink about this, it will all depend on how serious you take this complaint so I guess we will see. I will be expecting your call.
    How'd you say it in your liberal country?
    Cheers?
    Well freaking cheers then...

• He
      12th of Feb, 2015

Bought an $80 book, no book & the website/customer service is just giving me the run around. I got scammed.

• Re
      8th of May, 2016

Scam! They sent me a book that was not in the condition they stated and kept my money and the book when I returned it.