Alberta Furniture Co. Ltd / Furniture Not Delivered , Unpleasant After Sale Service

1 7300 Railway Street SECalgary, Alberta, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 403 640 7666

We bought a bedroom suite from Alberta Furniture Co. Ltd, 7300 Railway Street S.E., Calgary, worth $7K, and made a deposit of $3.5 K, with a promised delivery of within 2 to 3 weeks. Thirteen weeks have gone by, still the items have not been delivered. Mutilple phone calls have been made by us, most of which were not returned. When contacts were made, we were given promises of delivery within a few days. Then I went to the store. The salesperson checked it in the computer and said the item had been shipped from Toronto and that she would give me call with the bill of lading. But when my wife called the store later she was told by another person that the items had not been shipped. Frustrated by this runaorund, I left a message with the manager and that phone call was not returned. Finally, we went to the store and talked with the manager, who denied receiving the message. He could not find any record of shipmernt in the computer. The request for a refund of the deposiit was declined. We were asked to wait again for three more days for him to check the status of the shipment. The exchange with the manager was also unpleasant, as he asked me to keep my voice down or else he would ask me to leave the store. When I said I might file a complaint in the interent, he threatened me by saying that he is a lawyer and would file a defamation sue against me.

I went to this store to buy a bedroom furniture to add a little pleasure to our life and did not have any inkling that we would go through this hassle and customer service, unbecoming of a reputable customer-oriented business in the western world. Throughout all this runaround, we were polite and patient. When we got frustrated with fasle promises and misleading information, and asked for a refund of the deposit, and expressed our intention to file for a complaint, we were treated rudely and threatened with a law suit.

Comments

• Ta
      9th of Apr, 2008

The manager has contacted the customer after checking with the shipper that the itmes will not be shipped for another three to four weeks. The manager has also promised the customer a full refund of the deposit, which the customer accepted.

• Ta
      12th of Apr, 2008

The manager (also the owner) has refunded the deposit as he promised. We are happy that we got the money back, but unhappy that we do not have the furniture we liked.

The lessons we learnt from this episode are as follows:

1. Should have been more active in tracking the order.

2. Should have read BBB site before dealing with the store. Although this store has a satisfactory BBB rating, it had 15 complaints in three years, all resolved according to BBB.

3. Should have documented the conversation with the salesperson, the supplier and the owner. We finally documented our conversation with the supplier by summarizing the conversation, then forwarding it to the supplier to respond if we had captured it correctly. In our case, the supplier gave us information that helped our case by showing that the saleperson did not tell the supplier what to do with the order for three months after she had been told that the night tables did not come with marble tops anymore. Three months later after our frequent calls, she decided to order the furniture without marble tops without bothering to get our consent. The supplier also told us that the shipment would not be made for another three to four weeks.

4. Should have talked to the the manager sooner. Managers are more concerned about the long-term impact of a bad customer experience on the business. They have the right skills and training for dealing with complaints.