Albany Steel Inc / Metal supply rip-off

1 536 Cleveland AveAlbany, CA, United States Review updated:

8/15/08 8:59 am: I was looking for a 3/4" X 3/4" X 4" piece of solid steel. A 3/4" X 6" X 8" sheet was all that could be found in the scrap pile. The cutter took it to a manager (heavy set white guy w/short light brown hair). He looked me up and down as if he was trying to decide how much it was worth to me and how much material was worth, and came up with $21.75 as the price. The cutter could have told the sales guy that it was not what exactly what I looking for and that I could work with it, but his English was poor, and from his attitude, I didn't care to argue about it. I realize that steel prices are going up but, from my experience that piece of material was worth about half that amount, and because of this incident, I will not refer nor return for future business.

Va

Comments

• Ba
      24th of Sep, 2009

We are a service and sales company in Richmond, Ca We have been purchasing from
    albany Steel for the last twenty years. They have been professional, good pricing, always taking care of our needs very quickly. As far as the previous comment. They are in the business of selling large order to mfg. So of cource the man would have to think about the price of a small piece of scrap. If your looking for scrap you go to the scrap metal locations.

1st of Aug, 2011

I agree, metal is pricey, but come on dude, a $20 piece of metal, you aren't exactly keeping their doors open during this recession... try purchasing $3, 000 of metal at a time, and see how their behavior changes... Like me, a contractor, not a hobbyist... I bet you took up an hour of their time looking for that piece, and gave them ### for it too... buck up buster... quit wining... every single supplier is inflating their prices of material...

• Bo
      18th of Dec, 2012

Went down to Albany Steel today to buy a 20 foot angle iron, 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" (not galvanized). I'm a retired contractor, have another contractor doing work on my house, and have bought about $3, 000 of steel from these guys over the past two years. So, I'm not a real big customer, but also not some bum off the streets. I go in to pay for the item and some guy named Chris charges me $128. I asked him to double-check and he sticks to that price. I go home and my contractor calls Alco and they quote $45. So, the contractor calls back to Albany Steel to question the price and this guy Chris reads him out. So, I call back, get Rich (the manager) on the line and he drops the price to $69.60. You got to wonder WTF is going on here. Is this like very dishonest business practices or what?