Alarm Capital Alliance Dba: Starr Protective Services / Stay away from this company!

United States Review updated:
Alarm Capital Alliance dba: Starr Protective Services
1400 N. Providence Road, Suite 3055
Media, PA 10963

Phone: [protected]
Phone: [protected]

I had an alarm monitoring service known as Cape Alarms monitoring my alarm system for a number of years. In 2001, the owner called me saying that if I would sign a contract he would keep my alarm monitoring rate at the same ($60 per quarter). He mailed it to me, I signed it. However, it was a contract from Starr Protective Services, not Cape Alarms. He apparently was selling his business.

In October, 2006, I received my quarterly statement and they increased my rates. There was no notice on the invoice. Since my husband had lost his job in July, 2006... and now their rates had gone up, I felt this was one bill that we could eliminate now since he was home all the time. When I called to cancel, I was told that my contract automatically renewed in May, 2006 and I could not cancel until May, 2009. If you don't write a letter canceling 30 days before the renewal, then they automatically renew it. I explained, if we had a contract, then why did they increase their rates, when that was the whole reason for the contract in the first place?! I was told they could increase their rates whenever they pleased. I said, not without giving me the option to cancel or agree to the rate increase. I have called and asked many times to speak to a supervisor. I have written letters asking a supervisor to call me. To no avail. I am always told Mrs. Johnson is unavailable. Today, July 23rd, my husband called after we received their billing and late notices over the weekend. He could not get through to a supervisor either, but spoke with "Erin" and she would put him on hold occasionally to speak with "Mrs. Johnson" who could not come to the phone herself. They were willing to send us a new contract to sign, for $18 a month for another 3 years... but not cancel the existing contract. We are at wit's end here. Please whatever you do, do not sign a contract for monitoring services with Alarm Capital Alliance. There are many monitoring companies that do not require a contract and you can cancel at any time.

A  19th of Apr, 2008 by
Alarm Capital Alliance has joined the "we don't care about customer service" ranks.
I have spent two years writing letters, phoning, voice mails and arguments with
tech support. Three letters to Norman Blake, customer service manager with no response. My previous alarm company had great service, but when sold out to Alarm Capital
Services my service ended. They also threatened to turn my account over to collections,
yet I wonder why lack of service isn't an issue to terminate contract. I've spoken to the same
three gatekeepers for 18 months. Even a service tech came to my house only to tell me it wasn't
the system but it was Alarm Capital Alliance. The tech even asked me not to tell them what he said.
The next contact will be thru my attorney, The Better Business Bureau and our local news station
which brings fraud to the news. No service means no contract and no payment. Safety is the reason most people install alarm systems!
A  13th of Sep, 2008 by
Similar problem with the company, they've had 95 complaints in the past 36 months with the Better Business Bureau.
A  26th of Sep, 2008 by
I have had the same problem with this company. I paid for the service for months even though it wasn't working just because I did not want my account to go to collections. Please don't sign up with this company! It was one of the worst mistakes I have ever made!
A  6th of Oct, 2008 by
I signed a contract for alarm services with a lcoal alarm company in Cincinnati, Ohio called Buckeye Security on 11/1/05. No more than a year later, Buckeye Security sold my account to Alarm Capital Alliance. I have felt like I am a black hole, sinking quickly, ever since then. I am ready to contact an attorney to get out of my contract. Anyone interested in a class action suite?
A  30th of Jan, 2009 by
Same problem here with their "auto-renewal" policy on their "contract". I too signed initially with Cape Alarms, then it went to Starr, now "Alarm Center" or really "Alarm Capital Alliance". I didn't sign a contract with them so this is null & void. I have attempted to cancel my "contract" multiple times since my initial 3 year term was over in July 2006. All you get is a run-around, their fax # does not work, etc. I sent a certified/registered letter to them canceling my account - which I have the customer service rep on the phone recorded as saying they are in receipt of, and they still will not cancel.

So we are done with them, sent them one final letter with copies of all their poor BBB reports, /link removed/ reports, https://www.complaintsboard.com reports, etc.
A  7th of Aug, 2009 by
Report them to the Federal Trade Commission to be investigated
N  19th of Aug, 2011 by
KC – This is an official response from Alarm Capital Alliance. We are sorry it took so long to get back to you, but we have just recently put a system in place to address old and ongoing customer comments online. First accept our apologies for what sounds like a frustrating customer service experience. We strive to exceed our customer’s expectations and in this case it sounds like we have fallen short of that goal.

While the details vary from case to case, we can tell you that Automatic Renewal clauses are an industry-wide practice and vary by state. Each state has different codes regarding this clause, and depending on where the customer resides determines the rules. As a monitoring service provider it is our duty to keep our customers secure and to try our best to avoid lapses of service. Towards that end, once a term expires the contract is automatically renewed. Additionally, we require written notice of intent to cancel 30 days prior to the termination date. This practice is put in place to protect our customers from fraudulent termination of services.

In regard to your monitoring rate, it sounds as if you were in a locked-rate agreement from 2001 to 2006. The locked-rate agreement is terminated once the contract expires and therefore adjustments were able to be made to your monitoring fees at that time.

We are terribly sorry for any inconvenience and hope you understand that our policies are in effect solely to protect our customers. We work hard to keep our customers satisfied and do our best to be flexible in certain circumstances, whether a customer is moving or having financial difficulties. Customer representatives are available Monday through Friday 8am-8pm EST to speak with you on any future questions or concerns you may have.