Akai Sales Pte / Bad service

Singapore Review updated:
Purchased new 42" HD Akai TV 7.01.07 with 1 year warranty on parts & labour. TV picture went black on 3.08.08. It has taken the contracted customer service department of Akai over 1 month to determine they have no authorized repair shop in this area that they sold the TV. They now say they will replace the TV with a new or "refurbished" one but it will take them another 4-6 weeks to process the paper work, 1-2 weeks after that to pick up the broken TV and then I am supposed to wait another 1-2 weeks before I can get my new or "refurbished" tv. They are looking at May 26 at the earliest, over 2 1/2 months since the tv stopped working. In the meantime the customer service department tells me there are no supervisors or customer service people at Akai I can talk to, it is contracted and they can't do anything but submit paperwork. To make it worse, the customer service people, who we have had to call every few days to get as much information as we have, have been rude and deceitful, even saying they called me when I knew they did not. And that was the "supervisor" who told me that. I would not recommend Akai to anyone and I would appreciate assistance from anyone who can help me resolve this situation. In the mean time I am paying for HD cable reception that I can't even watch. The address and phone number listed above is just what I could find on-line.
Va

Comments

Vi
  24th of Apr, 2008
Akai 42 in. TV. Same problems, anybody that can help.
I would love to get a corporate number. One month and counting
St
  25th of Apr, 2008
I'm trying to fix my own TV. However even though I know the power supply board is bad, they will not sell me the part nor allow me to talk to a knowlegable technician regarding revisions to the power supply board.
Stay away from Akai and Viore they are rude and incompetent. All you get are $5.00hr phone people and a junk TV.
St
  25th of Apr, 2008
Here is an update. After being given several useless phone numbers to call, I finally got the real answers from a rude girl at the Viore "service center".
1) Akai won't sell parts to an individual period. But they hand out the phone number to Fox International like free cheese and don't bother to tell you they only sell to service centers.
2)When they do give you a local service center to contact to order the part, they are so out of touch they don't even know that that specific service center WILL NOT service the TV due to the same issues; lack of parts and tech support. Call I A in Indianapolis 317 253 0935 and ask them about Viore.
3) The girl I spoke to REFUSED to give me a corporate phone number. She also stated she would not "help me blow myself up" because that is what she thought I meant by saying the Level 3 support team does not answer the phone. Ludicrous.

All in all I would rate this experience a minus 6 on a scale of 1-10. I WILL get the TV fixed with my own intelligence, parts suppliers and without the hassle of the Akai group. Never will their products be purchased again.
This set is only 2 years old and no wonder the Viore line gets so much negative feedback. Glad I bought it used and can fix it myself.
De
  12th of May, 2008
I bought my son a 27 inch Akai TV from Sams Club Auction and just over one year it smoked and went black. Sears refused to work on it... HMMM should be a clue!!! I e-mailed Akai corporate etc on where I could get it repaired x12 … no answer of course. I then called in to corporate and spoke to Rachael operator # 1086. After multiple trying all of Kissimmee and Orlando Fl could not find a service center they recommended. Orlando has well over population of 200, 000 people. When I asked for a manager, I was told, “why bother they are going to tell you the same thing! I can help you!” and when I rudely insisted I was put on hold and she came back and I was told he was on the phone. Same for the second supervisor I requested. But they would take my number and have them call back. Then I was told that she would send my complaint to corporate. And my comment was, “why bother! I sent them about 12 e-mails and get a quick response that says they will get back ASAP and never get a response. AND in the e-mail I’ am told to call you at this number for a quicker response.” Now what company do you know where you have to have a TOTAL physical address, street, house number, zip, etc. to find a repair shop near you? I kept pulling addresses in different parts of Orlando from the computer and no service centers near them either! She kept trying to brush me off as well. I went into this with a positive attitude… saying… I see the complaints… it will be better than that and now am “Tarnished.” If you know A RELIABLE SHOP IN KISSIMMEE or ORLANDO or Florida for that matter AND FAIR PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Thank you
Cr
  19th of May, 2008
Akai is the worst. I purchased my 42" Akai TV on May 31, 2007. In Jauary of 2008 it went blank. They sent a service company out and they told me it need a new main board and power supply. It took two months for me to find out that the main board is no longer available. I had to send my work order with a statement saying that the part was not available and the TV could not be repaired. I had to wait two more weeks for them to start the process of replacing my TV. They then told me I have to wait another 4 - 6 weeks for the paperwork to be processed. Then someone would contact me about picking up the defective TV then I would have to wait another 2 - 4 weeks for the replacement TV. It has been 4 months. I will never ever buy another AKAI product.
La
  30th of Aug, 2008
I purchased a 32" LCD TV June 2007, an "authorized" repair center sent out a tech about 1 week before the waranty expired. He took it to his shop where it still remains (8/30/2008) today. It needs a main board that is not available. The service center cannot get any reply from akai as to what they plan on doing to honor the waranty. I've emailed akai with no reply. The only phone number for akai I can find is in China. I would like to find a to phone number for akai that is not an international call if possible.