AJSavannahs / Avoid

United States Review updated:

Buyer bought 2 Savannah kittens from breeder, Adrianne Propst. Both cats were diagnosed with chronic skin disorders. Breeder touts "Quality and Commitment" on her website, but breeder has offered nothing to remedy the situation. These cats were $3700.00 and buyer has spent several hundred more on their "special needs". Buyer has provided the seller with medical records and receipts to validate expenses and special care. One of the cats is, and will be on a daily maintenance dose of steroids indefinately. Presently, breeder will not even return emails. AVOID THIS BREEDER!

Oc

Comments

• Aj
      3rd of Feb, 2010

AJSavannahs offered this buyer a full refund of purchase price. We would retrieve our cat, flying with her in-cabin, and give her a lifetime home with us -- as well as appropriate medical care -- and removal from any environmental factors such as allergic reactions or stress. This offer was beyond what was stated in our sales agreement. Buyers refused this full refund offer. Our vets have reviewed the medical records, at our expense, and we have offered recommendations from our vets for treatment and care. These recommendations have been in line with medical advice buyers have received from a variety of veterinary professionals. Please visit our Testimonials pages for a balanced review of our commitment to our Savannahs. Vet references and records available upon request. Referrals from AJSavannahs families always provided as part of our extensive screening process.

• Lj
      3rd of Feb, 2010

I know this breeder and have personally worked with them many, many times over the past 5 years. They are respected within the Savannah community, ethical, responsible and highly selective when it comes to the care of their cats.

It is a mystery to me that a buyer would ever expect to receive a full refund for a purchase and at the same time keep the product, especially when the buyer is completely outside the scope of their contract.

While I understand that these are pets, the fundamental rules of business still apply. If the buyer refuses to embrace and apply the veterinarian instruction to eliminate the environmental causes of the cat's condition, they should return the poor cats to the breeder. Seems to me they have not made the welfare of the animals their first priority and want something for nothing!!

3rd of Feb, 2010

I am the proud owner of two savannahs from this breeder and know personally that they take immense care in providing the best possible representations of this breed. They are also in contact after placement of a kitten on a permanent basis to ensure that the kittens are happy and receiving the best possible care and that they are happy. I do not doubt that the breeder offered the original poster a full refund and to take the kittens back.

• La
      3rd of Feb, 2010

It saddens me to hear about the two Savannah cats that are being taken care of by the buyers. I'm a vet tech and it sounds to me like the cats have allergies since the chronic skin problem did not show up til after they got to their new home. Allergies can be anything from food, dust, smells, carpet/rugs, bedding, toys or they just may not be happy in the home with the people.

But I do know for a fact that Ajsavannahs would do everything in their power to help their cats no matter what the cost to them, even going beyond what a normal breeder contract covers. They offered to buy back and retrieve the cats, which the buyers refused, which is very sad for these cats!!

Ajsavannahs are VERY ethical people who go through numerous interview to make sure they find the right home for their cats and the right cat for a family. They love, cherish and have a commitment to the Savannah Cat breed and would never put the health of anyone of them at risk for ANYTHING!!
    I have two of Ajsavannahs cat and both are HEALTHY and HAPPY!!

• Ke
      3rd of Feb, 2010

We also have two of their cats and can attest to the care taken in selection, placement, and follow up of their kittens. Would a breeder that doesn't care about their kittens turn away families that aren't good matches for their kittens? Would a breeder that didn't care fly out to deliver kittens rather than ship them like baggage?

Our cats are three years old, have never had any health problems, and are related to the "problem" cat(sister and cousin).

• Sb
      3rd of Feb, 2010

I too am the proud owner of two AJsavannahs cats. One coming two and another almost a year. Both exceptional cats in both personality and health. I purchased one from them after an extensive adoption process and after seeing how good a cat she was and how helpful and concerned AJSavannahs was with their health, care and new homes being perfect I had to have another from them. These are exceptional cats from impeccable, exceptional people and brood stock AKA: family pets, not caged animals. I would welcome more AJ kittens into my home in a heartbeat if the opportunity arrises. Having a vet check upon arrival was part of the contract to prove that they were in good health when the buyers recieved their cat.

I don't understand the complaintant not doing as the contract stipulats or refusing what the breeder has offered for all in this matters sake. Obviously there is something in their environment that is causing the skin issue and my first thoughts if I were the owner would be to find out what it is and stick to what the vets said if it was helping. NOT start blaming the breeders or asking for hand outs to help pay for it. They are your responsibility once brought into your home. If it were a genetic defect which I am sure it is not, the breeder has still gone above and beyond the contract stipulations in offering a full refund and to retrieve them at their cost, why keep complaining? What more can they offer??? Put the wellfare of the cat first as she is the one that is suffering the most.

As far as the matter of AJsavannahs not returning calls or emails is utterly ridiculous! They answer any and all emails or calls as fast as humanly possible in all areas before and after my purchases. Making sure that we are happy, humans and cats. That is their number one priority.

• Ha
      3rd of Feb, 2010

It appears that the cat owners who lodged this complaint should not be pet owners. They lack the compassion and common sense that is required to care not only for a pet but any living being...I hope they don't have children!

We own two cats from AJSavannahs and AJSavannahs made it crystal clear what to expect when taking on the added repsonsibility of owning a savannah. AJSavannahs goes out of their way to answer all questions promptly. The only mistake I see here is AJ Savannahs spidey sense didn't pop up to warn them about these people. AJSavannahs would have never sold to these people if they knew they wouldn't take of the cats.

I feel like all of us who have bought from AJSavannahs are a family and frequently share photos and stories of our additions to our families. I highly recommend AJSavannahs.

• Ni
      3rd of Feb, 2010

The posted complaint against AJSavannahs are complete lies about the breeder. They have one of the most pristine reputations in the community of Savannah breeders, and have earned my trust and respect.

Our family owns two F2B Savannahs from AJSavannahs, and I can tell you that the breeder has been nothing but professional and helpful, even taking some urgent calls from me after one our local vets gave our Savannah the wrong vaccine. This breeder promptly returns all my calls and emails, even more than 3 years after our first purchase. When one of them got stung by a hornet and developed the runs afterward, my call was returned that day. The breeder has even offered to field calls from my pet sitter when I'm away!!!

Our two Savannahs are exceptionally healthy. I know for a fact that AJSavannahs offered you a full refund of your purchase price, and will happily take both cats back and provide both cats any and all medical care. Frankly, I don't know of any other breeders who will do that.

Allergies are NOT unusual in either cats or dogs--in fact, it's not our Savannahs, but our only domestic cat has had horrible allergies. It took multiple diet changes and eventually we actually had to use a special prescription anti-allergy diet to stop the scabby sores. We also were able to control some of the issues with topical spray that has cortisone and aloe in it. This has at least stopped her from scratching all the fur off her head.

As for being on meds indefinitely, I can't really give you much sympathy--we had an insulin dependent diabetic cat for 22 years, requiring 2 shots a day, every day for the last 10 years of her life, and spent over 400$ just to get through the emergency vet front door for every diabetic crisis she had. I would gladly do it all over again for the love she gave our family.

I happily recommend this breeder to anyone purchasing a Savannah. I have visited this breeder and personally seen the exceptional care that all of their cats get. I cannot, and DO NOT recommend, however, that just anybody get a Savannah.

• Ho
      4th of Feb, 2010

What a JERK this owner seems to be! He doesn't deserve to own any animal much less a Savannah! If your child got sick 4 months out of the womb - would you want 'your money back'? Would you place slandering and unethical posts about your WIFE on a public forum to vent your rage?? I really hope this owner doesn't have any CHILDREN or OTHER PETS. I pity them.

REGARDING THIS COMPLAINT:
    We are sure that many of AJSavannah's clients have received happy, healthy cats. We would never dispute that. And we're sincerely happy for those families. Unfortunately, we did not. You will not find stories like ours on AJSavannah’s testimonial pages, for the obvious reasons. But it’s important that people have ALL sides of a story prior to making the important decision to adopt a Savannah, or work with a particular breeder. This is our testimonial.

First of all, understand that we love our Savannahs; unconditionally. Also understand that we are totally devoted to their health and welfare. Indeed, we have been through a seemingly endless ordeal with the female. She (Sasha) has seen at least 6 different veterinarians at three clinics, including a day-trip to Michigan State University's Veterinary teaching facilities. She has been on every special diet that doctors could prescribe, several cycles of antibiotics, a trial of anxiety meds, and she remains on a maintenance dose of liquid Prednisolone. She has also received shots of Depo-Medrol on each occasion the rodent ulcers or leg sores have become unmanageable with the steroids and antibiotics alone.

Regarding her autoimmune disease: We noted the first symptoms the day we introduced the kids to their new home; day one. She had numerous sores on her chest and neck from a harness the breeder put on the kittens to transport them. It was far too tight for her. She also had a very difficult time eating. She would take a bite, ### her head to one side, and behave as if it was painful to chew. The male (Jazpurr), a cousin to Sasha, also arrived with small hard nodules on the tendons of his rear legs, but they were minor (still are) and didn't seem to bother him (still don’t).

We called the breeder and told her about Sasha’s chest sores and the problem she was having chewing her food. The breeder suggested Animax for the sores and told us that Savannahs will commonly get food caught in between their lips and gums, making it awkward to chew.

Well, the sores lingered on for several days… and within two or three weeks the female was diagnosed with EOSINOPHILIC GRANULOMA, commonly referred to as Rodent Ulcers; puss and lesions on her lips and gums. She was very frail and skinny when we met her. It concerned us. But according to the breeder, their vet was certain that Sasha would develop normally and outgrow her frail nature. Over two years later, she's still a small, frail girl. And our vet, who treats felines exclusively, says it looks like she’ll be on steroids indefinitely.

To all of the AJSavannahs supporters who have rallied to AJSavannahs’ defense, you're fortunate that your experience with AJSavannahs has been positive. I'm confident that your glowing testimonials have much to do with the fact that the cat(s) you adopted don't have the chronic health problems we’ve encountered.

Over a year ago, AJSavannahs did offer to refund $1200 of the $3750 we paid for our Savannahs. But AJSavannahs’ offer was conditional. We would have to pay for the breeder’s round-trip airfare from North Carolina to Michigan and back. And it would mean separating Sasha from Jazpurr. Jazz and Sasha have a beautifully close relationship. Plus, out vets were telling us there was a very good chance that these ailments would subside as the kids got older. Unfortunately, they have not.

To those of you who would suggest that these health issues are environmental or stress induced: We have had three cats in this household prior to the Savannahs; a Somali, an Abyssinian and a Bengal. Neither Bosco, Kibby or Fazzi ever exhibited any allergic symptoms or stress induced health issues whatsoever. Our floors are wood and tile throughout, leather and wood furniture, plus two $900 IQAir hepa- filters that run 24/7 to help with my wife’s asthma symptoms. Any notion that this environment could possibly be any healthier is misguided. Again, we have done everything in our power to rule out diet or environmental factors that may be causing these problems. These are happy cats. About the only stress they experience is when they fight over my lap!

Bottom line: When we decided to spend nearly $4000 to become Savannah parents we looked at many different breeders. We were impressed and highly influenced by the "Quality and Commitment" and Health Guarantees that AJSavannahs markets heavily. Is it too much to expect healthy pets that don’t suffer from incurable autoimmune conditions? Each time we would take our girl back to the vet we would hear, "Have you talked to the breeder?"
    No, our overall experience with AJSavannahs leaves much to be desired. It took nearly a year, and several email requests, before we finally received TICA papers. We heard every excuse in the book.

After AJSavannahs requested copies of all of our veterinary clinical records and receipts, just prior to the holidays, it seemed that AJSavannahs might finally show some understanding or compassion, accept some responsibly, and help defray some of the exorbitant veterinary costs we have incurred. We received comments like, “Our vet says you've got the best care possible for Sasha, at MSU. He's a graduate, knows the quality of the school.”, and “We do appreciate the care you've provided to Sasha. If we decide to refund any or all of Sasha's purchase price, that action may impact our existing contract or create an implied contract."

Wait. Excuse me? You’re primary concern is the possible impact on a “contract”?!

Shortly thereafter, we received this, "I'll defer reply til after the holidays. Need to consult our Missouri attorney as well as several breeders who are also practicing attorneys, various states.” This response left us scratching our heads. You have to consult several attorneys?!

That last comment was included in an email we received on Christmas Day, 2009. We never heard another word from AJSavannahs despite several emails we sent them. In fact, they never bothered to contact us until we filed the complaint on complaints.com. Then we got this:

"... we have no moral or legal obligation to refund any or all of Sasha's purchase price."

If you’re fortunate enough to end up with a healthy animal from AJSavannahs, you can probably look forward to an entirely different experience than we’ve had. If Sasha didn’t have these problems, we ourselves would view AJSavannahs in an entirely different light – because AJSavannahs would have supported us in an entirely different manner.

Our experience with this breeder has been a misfortune. And in spite of slick web sites, brilliant marketing and purported health-guarantees, the age-old adage prevails; BUYER BEWARE.

6th of Feb, 2010

We've attempted to attach a photo of Sasha's hind legs. Her mouth ulcers are currently in remission. If you are famailar with Sasha's condition and can offer any guidance that might help us help Sasha, your input would be appreciated!

6th of Feb, 2010

Let's try this again... Sasha's sores

7th of Feb, 2010

PHOTOS CAN BE VIEWED AT:

• Co
      8th of Feb, 2010

I'm not sure what kind of remedy you are looking for here... but Breeders do not cover the cost of veterinary care for the life of the animals they sell.

IN RESPONSE TO "Completely Baffled":

"What kind of chronic skin disorder? Is this something covered by and guaranteed in your purchase agreement?"

Please read the preceding post very carefully. It's all explained therein. Veterinarians tell us that Sasha has a chronic autoimmune disease. That means that for unknown reasons her immune system is hyperactive and attacks her normal tissue. This attack results in inflammation, which is aggravated when she tries to sooth it by licking and chewing. From what we understand, a systemic autoimmune disease has some genetic factors which may affect life and mortality. To dismiss Sasha's condition as an "allergy" may be tantamount to suggesting that Lupus (an autoimmune disease in humans) is merely an allergy. (see earlier post with regard to Sasha's diet and environment --- and reference to early symptoms we noted when Sasha and Jazpurr arrived at their new home)

"Most breeders cover genetic defects (that effect the life expectancy of an animal) but I am not aware of ANY cattery that provides warranty for allergies that develop at the Buyers location."

Again, to dismiss this ailment as an "allergy" is distorted. The allergic reaction is symptomatic of the autoimmune disease. Prednisolone (a corticosteroid) is the primary defense in the treatment of Sasha's condition. The effect of corticosteroids can result in serious side effects. The list of potential side effects is a long one.

8th of Feb, 2010

This photo of Sasha's hind legs was taken on January 26, 2009. Please, if you've experienced anything like this with your cats, or know someone who has and has found anything to cure or relieve the condition, your input is welcome and appreciated. We are aware that autoimmune triggers can be exacerbated by diet and/or environment. Please refer to our earlier post regarding our efforts to modify her diet (based on veterinary advice) and provide an allergy/stress free environment.

12th of Feb, 2010

From Sasha's visit to Michigan State University:

Date of Admission 10/1/2009
    Date of Dismissal 10/1/2009
    Attending Clinicians Dr. Annette Petersen
    Reason for Referral Sasha presented to MSU Dermatology service today for ulcer/lesion on left upper lip and back of left hind
    leg.
    History: Owner acquired Sasha along with her half brother from a breeder in early November 2007. In late
    November, 2007, owner started noticing mouth lesions/ulcer appearing and noticed similar lesion on her
    hind legs. Sasha grooms and licks these areas and they appear to be pruritic. The half brother developed
    a similar lesion on his leg but lesion was less severe and owner has never sought medical treatment for
    the male cat. The lesions have ulcerated in the past and have been described by previous veterinarians as
    been eosinophilic granulomas. The ulcers have been treated with antibiotics in the past and Sasha was
    suspected of having underlying allergies to either food or environmental allergens. Sasha was placed on
    several food trials including Hills d/d Venison and Green Pea, Hill's z/d, raw chicken, home cooked rabbit
    etc. Sasha was strictly on the Hills d/d diet for 6 month and the lesions did not go away. Her lesions did
    not improve with z/d either and she would not eat the rabbit. The lesions on both face and leg resolve with
    steroids and rDVM has alternated between Depo-medrol steroid injections and Prednisolone suspension
    (Sasha does not take pills well). Sasha is currently eating California Natural Herring & Potato and Spots
    Stew dry foods with Instinct Chicken canned food. She is an indoor only cat and is not on flea/tick
    preventative.
    Physical Examination
    Findings at MSU
    Weight: 9lbs. = 4.1kg
    Physical examination revealed normal thoracic ascultation and abdominal palpation. All other
    non-dermatological physical exam parameters were normal.
    Temp- didn't take, Pulse- 200bpm, Resp- 44bpm, mm-pink, CRT<2secs.
    Dermatological examination findings include: Alopecia with some swelling and excoriation noted on left
    upper lip and alopecia and excoriations were noted on caudal right leg. Mild alopecia noted on caudal left
    leg and dorsal neck.
    Diagnostic Tests and
    Results
    Superficial skin scrapings (from right hind leg) for ectoparasites: negative for feline demodicosis
    (Demodex cati)

23rd of Feb, 2010

It is easy and logical for the breeder to call other supportive breeders and "satisfied" clients and ask them to refute any unflattering reviews.

16th of Mar, 2010

03/12/2010 Another injection of Depo-medrol steroids today. We have tried every diet imaginable and done everyting to insure an allegry free environment. The condition persists.