AirTrain / Irresponsible customer service

To Whom It May Concern:

Last month, I was looking to take the AirTrain from Penn Station to Newark Airport. Because of a stalled train at NY Penn Station, no trains were able to leave or enter the station for at least 40 minutes. Customer Service at the station recommended I take a cab because they knew I would have missed my flight. So in addition to my $15 train ticket, I had to pay for a $65 cab. I don't know the exact time the trains left Penn since I left before the problem was resolved.

When I followed up with customer service to find out about a refund for my train ticket, I was told there was nothing NJ Transit could or would do since they don't refund individual tickets. I find this very disappointing. This was not a case of me trying to cancel a trip, but was specifically a fault of NJ Transit.

What really disappoints me most is the Customer Service rep promised me I would be given a follow-up from a manager. Instead, 5 minutes later, I got a call from the same representative. This is irresponsible. There are not many choices to commute in this area and get to the airport, but NJ Transit should improve its customer relations at times of error if it wants to maintain the public's trust.

Sincerely, Mike Diegnan

Mi

Comments

1st of Aug, 2008

Very late on the night of July31, 2008 there were many travelers running across highways and over concrete barriors trying to reach parking lot P4 safely. This is because the AirTrain was full to capacity at Station C and there wasn't another AirTrain expected for some time so the uniformed attendants suggested we walk to P4.

This is not the first time I have witnessed the throngs of travelers risking their life to make it to their cars after a long flight. I believe this is "an accident waiting to happen" and needs to be addressed by running more AirTrains more often after midnight.