Airtel / unauthorized charge on credit card

I am writing to share my frustrating experience with airtel in the us: I registered & bought a talk time card for $5 in dec06. When I received my credit card statement, I found that not only did they charge me $5 but they also charged another $50 on my credit card without my confirmation. I called on 30 dec06 the helpline & I was given the sr number: 285551 with a promise that they would get back to me earliest.

After waiting for 1 month & not hearing from them through mail or phone called them & was assured of resolution - they said they will get back in a month. I patiently waited for 2 months and called them back on 02 april07. They filed a case sr number: 358802 and promised to help. But nobody called or mailed.

On this day I also closed the account. They gave me a refund of $5 but the actual issue of debiting my account with $50 for which I was following up for so long was still not resolved.

On april 26th, we got very frustrated and called/emailed them. They asked us to send the transaction details which we sent them. We gave them the transaction date: 8th december 2006, transaction amt: $50 & the reference number.in our credit card statement it clearly shows that the transaction was done by "bhartiairte [protected] ny [protected] description cellular telephone".

To this they sent a reply saying that they had refunded an amount of $5 to us already. [this was not even our issue - our issue was about the extra $50 that they had charged us]. We were all the while following up about the $50 which they had debited to our account without our permission and they replied about something else.

Now, having gone through all this-we called our credit card company to dispute this charge of $50 but since the number of days since the txn is more than 90 days they said it wouldn't be able to help.

I fail to understand how a company like airtel would be so irresponsible and be so unethical in answering a consumer complaint. They first ignored the customer for a long time and then they responded to a wrong issue, and now they refuse to take any responsibility of the txn.

N  3rd of Oct, 2009 by

Mr. Prashanth Kumar B.,
S/o K. Padmanabha Bangera,
“Nile Nidhi”
MANGALORE – 575 003.

Customer Care Officer,
Airtel Office,

Sub: Refund of wrongly debited amount of Rs.198/- in respect of my Mobile No.9900713943.
Ref No: 1003099463 dated 3-10-2009.

I wish to bring the following facts to your kind notice for doing the needful.

On 1-10-2009 at 8.30 P.M. after verifying the balance in my above Mobile phone, I have recharged it with Rs.333/- bringing the total amount available to Rs.352-50 (Old balance 19.50 + Rs.333/-).

When I verified the balance on 2-10-2009( 9.00 A.M.) I was surprised to note that the balance amount available was only Rs.154.50 i.e., you have charged Rs.198/-. I have not utilized my Mobile phone for any other purpose but only to make calls and to receive the calls.

In view of the above, I am of the opinion that I have been charged Rs.198/- wrongly, without there being no relative calls.

Please therefore arrange to refund this amount of Rs.198/- wrongly charged. I request you tnot to charge like this unnecessarily and I will be constrained to bring this matter to the notice of “Consumers Forum” if my amount of Rs.198/- is not trefunded early.

Thanking you,