Air France / Hidden restriction & fees

1 120 West 56th StreetNew York NY10019, United States
Phone: 1 800 237 2747

Air France is the worst airline I have ever encountered, in addition to their shady sales practice, their have the worst customer service. Check out other complaints here before you even hear mine

My horror story is below.

Due to a family member’s sickness, I could not foresee myself being able to make the trip to Spain on March 17th – the original departure date. I called Air France on 3/11/2008 and 3/13/2008 and 3/17/2008 to cancel the trip but was informed the following unreasonable restrictions.

1. At the time of booking the flight, Air France informed me that in case I need to reschedule flight date I only need to pay $230 reschedule fee. They failed to inform the ticket is non-refundable, and for the worst, you cannot even exchange the ticket for a credit with Air France for which you can apply toward future travel with them. This restriction is a significant deviance from the mainstream air line practice that for them not to disclose to consumers at the time of purchase is very irresponsible.

2. Air France failed to inform customers at the point of reservation/purchase that any changes to the flight schedule must be made before March 17th original departure date or else the ticket will be treated as forfeited.

3. Trying to resolve the issue in an amicable manner, I tried to make compromises with Air France during my call with them on 3/11/2008, 3/13/2008 and 3/17/2008 by complying with their restrictions and reschedule the flight to an alternative future departure date. I requested to be rescheduled to ANY departure date that will cause minimal airfare difference between what I have already paid for vs what they will charge me for the new airfare. I was told by the reservation agent that ANY departure date they could reschedule me to will require me to pay $1, 500 for the new ticket in addition to the $230 penalty fee for making changes to my flight. In another word, I was left with no choice but to either forfeit the entire $520 airfare I’ve already paid for or else pay $1730 additional fee in order to use the supposedly $520 credit with them. A total of $2250 for flying to Madrid . (If I change the date again, I will have to pay more again).

I do not consider Air France practices to be fair in anyway to consumers (it’s more of a bait and switch sales practice) so consumers be aware, just save yourself the headache and trouble by staying away from them.

Es