AIIMS / Medical ethics and negligence!

1 India Review updated:

Medical ethics and medical negligence
Mr. Omkar Singh

Recently my mother faced a big problem and doctor of AIIMS has left a 30 X 30 cm sponge inside the abdomen of my mother Mrs. Gurucharan Kaur.

My mother Mrs. Gurcharn Kaur was admitted in AIIMS on 23/07/2007 with cholelithiasis and after finding her fit for surgery she was operated for Laparoscopic cholecystectomy on 27.07.2007 by the doctors of All India Institute of Medical Sciences. The surgeons were not able to do surgery laparoscopically so she was converted to an open surgery. She was discharged form AIIMS on 01/08/2007 after 9 days of stay vide discharge slip No. 895476 dated 01/08/2007. My mother Smt Gurcharan Kaur continued to suffer severe pain in her abdomen ever since she was discharged from the AIIMS. On finding no relief from constant unbearable pain, I took my mother again to in AIIMS in emergency on 03/08/2007 where she was examined including taking of ultrasound of her abdomen. After such examination, the doctor of AIIMS’s did not find any thing wrong except thin perihepatic collection and small collection in G.B. Fossa and advised patient not to come again and spoil their valuable time and go back to home.

There is one hospital at Tilak nagar named Laparoscopy Hospital, The in charge of that hospital Dr.R.K.Mishra found the case is serious and admitted for proper treatment. There was not any improvement in condition of patient after two days of conservative treatment for three days but the patient condition was deteriorating. The amount of pus coming from open wound was increasing in volume so Dr.R.K.Mishra has advised the investigation of ultrasound and CT scan on 09/08/2007. The ultrasound and CT scan was performed in Star imaging and Path Lab, Tilak Nagar, New Delhi on 09/08/2007. When the doctor said that there is sponge inside the abdomen I was astonished because the CT scan was suggestive of presence of sponge in the abdomen. The next surgery was performed by Dr.R.K.mishra and his team and a sponge of the size of 30 x 30cm was removed successfully. After surgery patient’s recovery was satisfactory. However, we kept the patient for 4 days after surgery with the view that some one from AIIMS would come for inquiry and to see the condition of patient. But unfortunately nobody came. Now the Associations of surgeons of India and Delhi medical council is trying to harass my doctor who has saved the life of my mother. Dr.R.K.Mishra has to face many inquiries. The doctors of AIIMS are enjoining there life but this innocent doctor is facing problem. Even I am also in trouble because I don’t have that much money to fight against this premier institution. Not those doctor any responsibility towards the patient in particular and to the public in general who have stuff the sponge in the abdomen of my mother Smt. Gurcharn Kaur? Are they not subject to any accountability? May I request the any authority to appraise the public on the action taken by them in the omission and commission of such a grave life threatening medical negligence?

Advise smb!

Comments

• De
      21st of Sep, 2007

The doctor who has done surgery in AIIMS should be punished must be Reservation quota doctor. All the doctor in AIIMS should be appointed according to merit not by reservation. Thanks god doctor likr Dr.R.K.Mishra is there who saved the life of patient by diagnosing the problem early. I have seen this news on TV but it was not very eleborated. now I know the facts. The Indian medical council should take action agains the doctor who has done this crime. yes! I will say crime!!!

• Ri
      3rd of Dec, 2007

i have receiving unnecessary call f

• Av
      21st of Dec, 2007

Some times Doctors are giving date for check up patients and at the due date Doctors are not available authority says that Senior Doctor will come after 15 days and there is no substitution of that. Which in not fare for those patients who are coming from outside Delhi and staying here as PG. Those patients can't afford that cost and go back without checkup and sorrow mood.

I would like attract there management team that this is being in AIIMS which in fair for our country.

In last few days I had sufferd this moment and very rude behaviour of attendent in CNC ECHO LAB. He was told me that there is no doctor in this u have to on next month.

I would like to thanks AIIMS that they have sufficient Doctor with sufficient knoledge.

Thaks