Aggie Pet Zone / Dog got hurt at the boarder

We spent $250 to board our dog for Thanksgiving. $250 is 25% of my husband's salary. Boarding the dog requires the dog to get some vaccinations, so we took the dog to the vet for some vaccinations and a physical exam the day before the boarding. When we got the dog back, the dog was in a lot of pain, so we took him to the vet again. It turns out that the dog's teeth were shattered. Aggie Pet Zone admitted responsibility, but they said that they are not going to compensate us because my husband signed a waiver.

Comments

• Do
      23rd of Dec, 2010

How long did you wait until you went to the vet after you got him out of boarding? I've been boarding with APZ ever since they opened and I find this accusation hard to believe.

• Ag
      23rd of Dec, 2010

Thunder Chisolm has boarded with us on three occasions: June 26th – 30th 2010, July 23rd – 31st 2010, and November 24th – 29th 2010. On each occasion Thunder was witnessed to be a sweet, high spirited, extremely active dog. During Thunder’s November stay his demeanor was the same as always. The kennel staff did not note any loss of appetite, there was no evidence of blood in his suite or yard, nor any change in his happy and playful disposition.
    Mr. Ariel Chisolm called our office on Saturday December 4th, five (5) days after Thunder was discharged from boarding. In this call he spoke with one of our managers, Jake, and stated that he was giving Thunder a bath that morning and noticed that one (1) of his teeth was broken, not multiple teeth as this complaint suggests. He made a trip to his vet that day and they informed him that Thunder’s canine tooth was broken at the gum line and would need to be extracted. The cost of this procedure would be $800.
    Mr. Chisolm suggested that it was our fault for not watching Thunder close enough outside in the yards. Jake explained that although we are not watching the dogs every second, they are not left unattended for more than a minute at a time.
    We offered Mr. Chisolm the opportunity to come and see EXACTLY where Thunder stayed and the EXACT yard he was exercised in so that he could offer some suggestions on how we could change our protocol to make it better. Mr. Chisolm declined.
    We also directed Mr. Chisolm to our Master Client Agreement that he signed on June 26, 2010, that states “…risks are inherent in any environment and, while Aggie Pet Zone will exercise reasonable care in the provision of services to your pet, injuries may occur from routine activities such as running, jumping and playing. Owner recognizes and accepts the potential risks involved in these activities and agrees to hold Aggie Pet Zone harmless as outlined in this agreement.”
    At no time did Jake or anyone from Aggie Pet Zone admit to being responsible for Thunder’s injury. In fact, we cannot be absolutely sure that the injury occurred during his stay because the owner did not notice the injury until 5 days after Thunder was picked up.
    During the first conversation and subsequent phone conversations, Mr. Chisolm was asked if Thunder seemed to be in pain and Mr. Chisolm reported that Thunder did not seem different at all. This complaint is the first time any of us have heard anything about Thunder being uncomfortable or in pain.
    Our boarding rates should not have come as a surprise to the Chisolms, as they have boarded with us before and they were notified of the holiday boarding rates when they made their reservation and paid their deposit. There are other, lower cost boarding facilities in town that they could have chosen if our rates were unacceptable to them.
    On December 7th we received a threatening email from Mrs. Chisolm with whom we had had no previous correspondence. The email stated:
    “By now, you have talked to my husband Ariel Chisholm regarding the dog named Thunder.
    I am under the impression that you cannot reach a conclusion.
    Please know that you want to talk to my husband as long as possible. I would like you to know that my husband is the nice person in this relationship, and opposites truly attract. I am not a nice person. If I am forced to be involved, things will go very badly very quickly. In the past I have started media campaigns and forced businesses to close. It is very time consuming for me to do so, which is why I rarely do it. You can google my name if you don't believe what I say. However, it just happens that I have the winter break free. I am also extremely devestated by what happened to Thunder, who is my baby.”
    We did not respond to this threat because it is our belief that what happened to Thunder was not due to the actions, neglect or intent of our staff.

5th of Jan, 2011

I heard about this story else where and 3 weeks after the dog was hurt the owner still had not dealt with his injuries. She was too busy trying to 'ruin' this business. Seems to me that she should have been MORE worried about her "baby".

• Er
      13th of Jan, 2011

I just find in appauling that the boarder posted the clients name in the response. Of course they have a right to tell their side of the story but that is just unprofessional.

16th of Jan, 2011

I disagree. I think that other local boarders/vets have just as much right to know about this whack job woman as she felt people here should know about that poor boarder.

• Ro
      1st of Feb, 2011

No one commented here seems to know if the dog actually got hurt or not. Isn't it the most important thing?

• Ro
      1st of Feb, 2011

No one who had commented here actually commented on if the dog got hurt or not. Isn't that the most important thing?

• Er
      3rd of Feb, 2011

@ zachary- I see your point. I still dont feel its a positive business model to shout out the names of clients who are not happy or satisfied. Even if this poster is a complete looney tune a proper business should hold their heads above it and rely on positive experiences from satisfied clients to speak for them rather then throw out the names of looneys or rightly dissatisfied clients. If you have a business people dont want to think if they are unhappy with you that inevitably you are going to attempt to "bash" them. You are right in that the owner did reply with a well thought out response and I have little doubt the poster is a few McNuggets short of a happy meal but its simply the point. The owner could have easily defended the business without bringing names into it.

11th of Feb, 2011
    Aggie Pet Zone - Pedigree, not organic food
    Aggie Pet Zone
    Texas

They claim that they feed the dogs organic food, but they actually feed them Pedigree!!! My dog was allergic to wheat. He came home with serious diarrhea.

• Ke
      29th of Jun, 2011

I find it hard to believe that any accident would happen to a pet at Aggie Pet Zone without the staff noticing and the veterinarians at Aggie Pet Zone doing whatever they could to help the dog. The people at Aggie Pet zone are the most knowledgable and caring people I know.
    If the person making the complaint can use the business name, the business should certainly be able to reply, using the complaining client's name. Other kennels and veterinarians will want to avoid these people.
    Maybe the Chisolms could not afford to vacation and take care of their dog properly, too. If that is the case, maybe they should reevaluate their priorities.