Afni, Inc. / Fraudulent 11 year old verizon bill!

Today I received a letter from a collection agency called Afni, Inc. alleging I owed $63.00 from 11 years ago - 1996. Verizon has provided my phone service for the past 10 years and I don't believe I have ever missed a payment. They never once mentioned I owed them a cent from 1996 and even sent me a refund for overpayment when I moved out of Verizon's service area in 2006. When I called Afni, Inc, a particularly rude young female told me she wasn't interested in anything I had to say. I hung up and will be filling complaints with the NYC Dept. of Consumer Affairs, NY Attorney General, IL Dept. of Consumer Affairs, IL Attorney General, and the IL and NY State Bar Associations. If we band together we can stop these gluttons and put their management and employees behind bars where they belong. I also may send letters to the NY Times, Daily News, and Post. I'm sure Ruppert would get a charge out of organizing a national multimillion dollar class action suit.

Comments

• Sh
      14th of Jun, 2007

Today, June 14, 2007, I received a collection notice from Afni, for a Verizon Bill in the total of $138.18. The bill was for my mother's address that I had not resided since I was 17, which was 13 years ago. The representative informed me that the account was opened in 1993 and i was responsible because I lived at the address. Needless to say he was RUDE and accused my mother of stealing my identity. At that point, I lost it... Needless to say, I am looking for guidance on how I can report these people and have this information taken off my credit. This is the first time I have ever received a notice about this bill and I know this is not my account.

• St
      29th of Jun, 2007

I just contacted Afni about an 11 year old bill sent to collections by Verizon. This bill is from 1996 when I lived in California. This is the first time I have heard from this company or Verizon concerning this matter. Verizon (formally GTE) has no record of it. Afni says that the burden of proof is not on them because I received bills years ago. Now I must dispute this with Afni and request a copy of the bill (which I do not think they have).

I did a search and realized I am not the only one having problems with this. I am interested to know how others have gotten this matter solved.

• Mt
      30th of Jun, 2007

My wife received a similar collection from Afni Inc for a Verizon New York Inc bill from the early 1990s.

I took a look online and found an excellent website that details how to query this. Here is the link to the form letter that you need to send Afni Inc. Once they receive this they will most likely lose interest or sell the collection on to another agency. If they break the rules you can report them to your state Attorney General, FTC and the Better Business Bureau and use the fact in small claims court :-

Here is the link for the procedure you need to follow to ensure you have documented proof that you have mailed the dispute letter :-

Here is an exert from the Form Letter :-

==========================================
    Be advised that I am fully aware of my rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act. For instance, I know that:

· because I have disputed this debt in writing within 30 days of receipt of your dunning notice, you must obtain verification of the debt or a copy of the judgment against me and mail these items to me at your expense;

· you cannot add interest or fees except those allowed by the original contract or state law.

· you do not have to respond to this dispute but if you do, any attempt to collect this debt without validating it, violates the FDCPA;

Also be advised that I am keeping very accurate records of all correspondence from you and your company including recording all phone calls and I will not hesitate to report violations of the law to my State Attorney General, the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau.

I have disputed this debt; therefore, until validated you know your information concerning this debt is inaccurate. Thus, if you have already reported this debt to any credit-reporting agency (CRA) or Credit Bureau (CB) then, you must immediately inform them of my dispute with this debt. Reporting information that you know to be inaccurate or failing to report information correctly violates the Fair Credit Reporting Act § 1681s-2. Should you pursue a judgment without validating this debt, I will inform the judge and request the case be dismissed based on your failure to comply with the FDCPA.

13th of Jul, 2007

Same problem. According to them it's $230 from 1994. Hilarious since I had a Verizon phone # for 12 years six months after closing the one AFNI questions. I doubt Verizon would give me a new number if I was in arrears for a past #. Time to get some heavy hitters on these guys.

• Je
      13th of Jul, 2007

I NEVER had a verizon account they said I owe them $283.03. I looked them up with the better business bureau. everyone should file a complaint, they are members there and if they are trying to collect on accounts that are old, or never existed that has to raise some flags for the BBB. How can that be considered ethical business practices??

Go to www.bbb.org to file a complaint, I am!!

• Ro
      19th of Sep, 2007

Their address is P.O. Box 3427, Bloomington, IL 61702-3427.

I just received a bogus collection letter today, and had drafted a letter threatening to sue them when I stumbled upon this web site. I now have additional information to include with my response. THANKS!!!!

• Ed
      21st of Sep, 2007

These people sent me a notice for a phone company Ive not had for over 10 years probably 12 and theyre just NOW telling me that I allegedly owe them money? Isnt there a statute of limitations? Can they wait until Im 80 and hit me with a so called bill, from 60 years prior? How can this be legal? We should all get ogether and inform THEM that they OWE US all money and put collections against THEM on their credit reports. Just writing BACK to them verifies your address to them. So more letters can come, and calling them verifies your phone number, so they can call you a million times. This type of behavior ought to be illegal. How can anyone just pull up something from 12 years prior and claim you owe them when youve never reciedved so much as a single bill stating such in the past 12 years? No one should be thought capable or remembering if a certain bill was or was not paid, 12 years later- thats insane. The IRS doesnt even require that you keep records THAT LONG!!!!!!!!

25th of Sep, 2007

My wife just received the same notice. 10 year old Verizon Bill for $106.98. Any confirmation on whether this is a fraud?

• Ge
      26th of Sep, 2007

Received a similar letter last week... 11yr old bill from Verizon.. there seems to be a common theme here, Verizon.

27th of Sep, 2007

Same problem here. A collection notice listing the original creditor as Verizon South Inc. I've never had a phone number with any company that Verizon acquired, and have never received any documentation of a delinquent phone account at any time in the past. This is very fishy to me.

27th of Sep, 2007

I just recieved a letter today from these a++holes, and they say I owe 97.00 from 1993. I was 17 in 1993, living with my mother, and we never had a phone in my name. I have talked to AFNI today and as usual they got crappy on the phone. I have prepared all the proper documents to send to them tomorrow for a dispute. My question is, since all of you have gone threw this already, what have they done to try to collect their money? Have they took any of you to court, and if so what was the ending result? I hope someone can help with my questions! There is no doubt Im calling the Attorney General tomorrow and also follow thru on my dispute.

• Te
      28th of Sep, 2007

I received a collection notice from these clowns three days ago, claiming I owed Verizon $51.14 for a 1995 phone bill. I have called them twice and both times been told that the burden is on me to prove I that don't owe the amount. I told them that my phone had never even been disconnected. One of the women I spoke with told me that I obviously made 'only the minimum payment required' in order to keep my service connected. I called Verizon, and they said they sold the account, so it's out of their hands.
    This sounds like a major scam. They should be sued rigtht out of business.

• Mi
      28th of Sep, 2007

WOW reading all this is amazing. Today my fiance' received a $200 bill from afni for a NYNEX phone bill from 1989! After calling the company twice i learned several things, first is they have no clue. The information they have is all wrong, they have her maiden name and she was married in 89 with a different last name. The address for this bill is our current address and she wasnt living here then and the phone number is for a town 15 miles away and they are 10 years off on her birthdate. The Afni rep told me this was a verizon bill from when they took over NYNEX but she has never received a bill from verizon and we continue to use them as our phone carrier with the phone in her name...oh did i mention the phone was in her ex husbands name when this old phone bill was suposedly neglected and that it was a different number than whats on the bill. well at least they got her first name correct, wtg Afni! Looks like just "Another Fraudulent No good Idiot" to me...........

• Le
      2nd of Oct, 2007

These collection agencies are violating federal law. Seeking to collect a debt that is barred by the statute of limitations is a violation and seeking payment of a debt that isn't owed is a violation. Minimum penalty is $1000 plus actual damages (usually none) and attorney's fees (which can be many, many thousands.) Attorneys LOVE these cases because of the high fees. Look in the phone book under consumer law attorneys and go get them.

• Ra
      8th of Oct, 2007

I saw a $56 AFNI, Inc. charge show up on my credit report. Upon further inquiry, I was told it related to my Verizon service from years ago. I had never heard of this issue before. Thanks for the dispute letter link! I am sending it now.

• Ke
      23rd of Oct, 2007

Neat. My husband just got a bill from AFNI on behalf of Verizon Pennsylvania. It does not list a date, but the bill is for $1184! What's impressive about this is that we left PA over 7 years ago, and when we lived there we never had a cell phone. Nice try, AFNI.

29th of Oct, 2007

I got one today form these [censored]es saying I owed Verizon $177.28. It has this debt connected to a phone number i have never heard of. This is the only 845 area code number I have ever had and Verizon does not provide phone service here at all. This is the first time I have ever lived in the 845 area code. I have had the same cell # for 10 years, and that is not a 845 number either. I think these guys are scammers. I am sending them the letter, writing the BBB and my attorney.

• Ro
      5th of Nov, 2007

Just got one, called my local Verizon branch and they sent my call thru to AFNI so AFNI is for real and is working with Verizon. I never lived at the address that AFNI claims I did, I never had that phone number under my name. But AFNI does have my SS# on record so they are saying it is me. They asked me my parents names and the ones AFNI has on record are not mine. They were VERY rude and asked me to cut a deal and only pay them 200.00 instead of 361.00 I SAID no! He said well whats more important the principal of the matter that its not you, or your credit being ruined! They have some nerve saying that!

Any help out there?

• Wi
      9th of Nov, 2007

This is just UNBELIEVABLE. Just yesterday I receives an Afni collection bill also. It was for a verizon disconnect notice in 1998 in the state of Maryland. The address was just down th block from where I used to live but I only liver there from 1984 to 1986. Afni told me the service was connected in March of 1998 and disconnected in November 1998. I lived in upstate NY from 1992 until April of 2004 when I moved to North Carolina. They also said that "I HAVE THE BURDEN OF PROOF". It's scary but when I asked them to verify the last four digits of my SS # they were correct. Yesterday I contacted the credit bureaus and the FCC to report this identity theft.

I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Da
      12th of Nov, 2007

Refer. Acct. 2006765929 is not my bill and the address that you gave me was my ex-girlfriends and now this is on my credit report and I would like for this to come off with no problems. I live at 1110 tenn. st. paducah, ky. 42003 and I have never lived at the street address in tenn. Memphis. So if you can take off of my report I would thank you very much. someone took my name and my DOB and used it for them self. so please take this off of my report so I can live in peace.